Cali Ride May 2016
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cali Ride May 2016

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Cali Ride May 2016

Over the winter, there was a strong current of interest in riding in California 'early season' ( i.e., May) as an adjunct to, or replacement for, the usual Sept/Oct Nor Cal BCSB WWD trip. And since I had a lot of unfinished business left after a weather-restricted two weeks that LCPeter and I spent there in May 2015, I found myself in the role of 'catalyst' and prime route-suggestor. Initially it seemed that most people were interested in Nor Cal, and in day-tripping out of Anderson CA, while my interests were in 'touring', both thru parts of the Gold Rush country and Sierras that had been denied to us last year, and further east into AZ and NM to hit places I'd missed on an earlier trip. I therefpre expected to join the main group for a couple days, then to break off south and east solo. As time passed, however, and as numbers dwindled (as they always do), I was quite surprised to get a string of contacts expressing interest in the touring sections. In the end, only a single pair ( Nancy Joyce - squire - and David Carson) did the 'traditional' Nor Cal base trip, while 8 riders made up the 'tour' group: Adam Sky - tattoodles; Brad Kornack; Carl Cooke - dirtbagbiker; Dahl Chambers; Mark Rowe - syncro; Miles Federspiel - milosvichy; Scott Murray - the bartender; and myself. Four of us carried on for a second week out thru AZ and southern Utah, returning across the Nevada desert, but that'll be a separate story. What follows here are a few notes, maps, and photos of the California adventures... ( my content will filter in over the next few days, and I'm sure others will contribute as well)
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Sat May 14: Nor Cal

First day: Scott and I got away from Vancouver at 8pm; slept a couple hours at a rest stop in S Oregon; breakfast in Grants Pass; into Anderson at 11:30 am ( 1200 kms, 15 1/2 hrs ). Into Motel 6 ( Gaia screwed up the reservation made a month in advance). Half the price, clean, comfy, close to food, fuel, Safeway, Starbucks, drugstore - what's not to like? Decided to ride mid-afternoon: down I-5 and 99 to Chico; up 32 into the hills; back via 36 and 'wandering' east of Anderson ( cool roads, some rough but entertaining, astonishing rock walls around fields). Nice outing, altho wet and chilly for the top third of 32. 285 kms 3 1/2 hrs. Decent dinner at Humble Joes. Welcome to Nor Cal!

map: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Gaia+...40.4706877!3e0

Scott and Brad on CA 32

IMG_4414 (1024x677) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Scott, Brad, and Miles on Lanes Valley Rd ( east of Anderson)

IMG_4418 (1024x626) by Don Serl, on Flickr
    Last edited by doser; 06-09-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Hey Don,

Sorry I missed you guys this year, glad you guys are all home safe. Looking forward to the ride report. For the NorCal newbies, how was it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2008 BMW HP2S, Beta 525RR. 2012 Multi S Touring
    I've been waiting for this!
    "I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different!"
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Loud Pipes save Deer

Bike
    04 SV650
    woohoo, I got something to do today at work now. Thanks Don!

Bike
    Ninja1k
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    Hey Don,

Sorry I missed you guys this year, glad you guys are all home safe. Looking forward to the ride report. For the NorCal newbies, how was it?
    Same here. The dates were just awkward for me, one day though, I will ride Cali again....its been far too long.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    Hey Don,
    For the NorCal newbies, how was it?
    I'll comment once Don has told more of the story.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Day 2: Sun May 15

THE classic Nor Cal day: out 36 from Red Bluff to the coast; and nice lunch at Eel River Brewing in Fortuna; and back home via 299 ( with 'bonus' riding for some of us, on the Hayfork cut-off). 630 kms 11 hrs door-to-door. Roads were in excellent condition. Coastal cloudiness broke up as the day went on. And I got a walk for 80 in a 55 zone on the sweepers in the initial section of 299: conversation went something like: " Having trouble with metric conversion?" " No sir, I'm just riding exuberant today" I honestly think that being a bit of a codger got me off, plus being polite and open - too old to teach me anything new? In fact, the tail of the conversatiomn turned to him warning me that people often cut across the centre-line, and that my speed wasn't going to give me much time to react! ( Thank you, sir...)

map: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Gaia+...40.4706877!3e0

Both legs are great, of course, but I'll say that the majority of the riders liked the 'flow' of 299 better than the less-predictable, more-technical challenges of 36. Me, I love 'em both!

P.S. there is gas at the Dinsmore Store, which is just a 100 mi / 160 km run west from Red Bluff.

Obligatory:

IMG_4427 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

CA 36: 140 miles of... bliss...

IMG_4449 (768x1024) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4440 (768x1024) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4450 (768x1024) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4452 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Then, after lunch, givin' 'er on 299:

IMG_4494 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

All soooo good...
    Last edited by doser; 06-08-2016 at 11:44 PM.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    I swear one could go 299 on the sweepers on 299 coming off the coast. I love them!
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

California dreamin' Array KatRider's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    I remember one of my first trips eastbound on Hwy 299. I was on my Speed Triple and I caught up to a previous generation Speed Triple. The "stereo" sound of our triples as we ripped up through those sweepers was awesome. :-)
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    ^^^ CDG and KatRider, couldn't agree more. To me, it's a 'crime' to take 'em at 55!
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Cali Day 3: move the Sacramento; on to Auburn

Those of us who were 'moving' trailered up and shuttled down to River City Indoor RV Storage in Sacramento ( about 2 1/2 hours). Bob there is just a champ: last year he charged us $60 for a week; this year it was $60 for TWO weeks! Indoors. Totally secure! Sheesh...

There was a bit of riding to our next 'holing up' spot: Auburn CA. Out the freeway, then Salmon Falls Rd ( which is apparently one of the local 'hot' rides); and finally a short chunk of the famous 49 to Auburn. Here we met Adam, who had ridden over from San Fran. Also, several of the riders rode, via La Porte Rd and Downieville. And 3 of us popped out to Downieville and back in the late afternoon - excellent road...

As for accommodation and food, neither was very good: Super 8; and the only thing nearby was a Denny's... But at least the place was convenient for the next morning...

maps: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/River...38.9248548!3e0

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Super...38.9248548!3e0

Salmon Falls Rd

IMG_4521 (768x1024) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Downtown Downieville

IMG_4532 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Cali day 4: a BIG day!

Tim Mayhew at Pashnit Tours in CA, who seems to know more about Cali roads than anyone on the planet, makes Mosquito Ridge Rd sound irresistable:
    http://pashnit.com/roads/cal/MosquitoRidge.htm
    And weather had prevented me riding it last year, so this 'top of my list'.
    And awesome it was! Curve after curve, mostly high up on valley sides; good but not perfect pavement; no traffic; serious riding (big drops!)... Totally enthralling!

IMG_4558 (2) (770x1024) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4566 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

This takes you out into the wilderness, to French Meadows reservoir. Then a typical paved California backroad cuts back south to rejoin 'civilization' on Wentworth Springs Road. Parts of this connection ( 11 Pines Rd) are pretty good, but parts are rough too. It passes thru a large burn, which was weirdly beautiful, with stark black burned-out stems and lush spring greenery underneath.

Then... Wentworth Springs Road: perfect pavement, the best sweepers of the trip, way out in the middle of nowhere. Why is this there?

IMG_4603 (2) (1024x717) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4605 (1024x713) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Down Icehouse Road ( also great), we joined US 50 for the run east to the Lake Tahoe area. Lotsa traffic, and heavily patrolled... like, 8 cruisers in 40 miles! NOT the place for speed. But beautiful, all the same.

Adam showing off the new MV:

IMG_4632 (2) (1280x638) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Got fuel and lunch in Meyers ( at the Getaway - superb ), then - despite the time starting to press, we decided to run out and back on Monitor Pass ( Destination Highways #1 in Nor Cal ) before crossing back to the west side for our next nite. Well, it's excellent, for sure, and the scenery is awesome, but I'm not convinced it's 'the best'.

West side, climbing into Sierras grasslands

IMG_4643 (1024x744) by Don Serl, on Flickr

East side view, down into Nevada

IMG_4650 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Finally, we ran thru the extensive uplands of Carson Pass and down miles of sweepers on CA 88 to Jackson, before turning south for a half hour of pleasantries to get to Sonora.

The day ended with a comfy stay at the Rodeway Inn, right in the centre of town; and an excellent meal at the Diamondback Grill, just a block away. It had been a really big day ( about 550kms / 10 hrs, much of it quite technical), and spirits were high!

map: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Super...37.9833764!3e0
    Last edited by doser; 06-08-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    that's all for today... to come: Yosemite! then, total obscurity south of Oakhurst...
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Cali day 5: Yosemite

Rest days were not on the agenda, but it's nearly as effective to alternate easy days with 'big' outings. And the scenery in Yosemite Valley demands more than just a quick ride thru.

The initial plan was to ride CA 14 east from Tuolumne to Cherry Lake, then link south to hwy 120, but the first few miles of 14 were rough and broken, so we abandoned this plan and hit 120 from 49 by doing the (new) Priest grade above Moccasin. This is a short but awesome chunk of road, with tight, well-banked curves and perfect pavement, and well worthy of repeats.

IMG_4689 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

The rest of 120 to Yosemite is actually pretty good, altho it's not deserted. However, there's less traffic than one might think... and then the scenery takes over. You don't go to 'the valley' for solitude!

IMG_4705 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4712 (2) (718x1024) by Don Serl, on Flickr

After a comfy lunch al fresco at Yosemite village, some of the party took the side-route out to Glacier Point, which is a remarkable viewpoint ( maybe someone can post up a few photos?), and a few of us rode straight thru to Oakhurst, looking forward to a bit of relaxation and maybe a short nap.

We stayed at the Oakhurst Lodge ( same as last year), which is very clean, very comfy, and moderately priced ( by tourist town standards). Staying in the 'back' building gets you away from any traffic noise, and a few late niters on the balcony got to watch deer browsing on the adjacent grassy slopes. And dinner at Di Ciccios really good too. I like this town...

map: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Rodew...d37.333768!3e0

Only about 250 kms, but all day...
    Dwight Eisenhower