Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Attention - Password and Security Update

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    lol. bye.
    Ya. *That's a weird hill to die on.*

edit: What's with the ** ? Seems to be inserting them in the second space. *Let's see:

Yep every other space. * * * * * **
    iPhone on the full site. *
    Only shows after the post. *Not while typing. *
    Last edited by sAdam; 06-15-2016 at 03:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipB View Post
    Some people make that argument, however, it forces members to use more complex passwords and not some of the easier ones like "password" which are easily guessed. Having them on rotate also keeps them fresh.
    Yes now they can use password1. Then password2. Then password3.

Forcing members to use more complex passwords is what forces members to use more complex passwords, making us change it every year does not. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Bay R1 View Post
    Just leave it alone for god's sake its a motorcycle forum!!
    I've gotta agree with this!!
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    BCSB is not important enough for me to remember the password for; sites like this I just save them all to my browser. If anyone steals my laptop, ensuring the data integrity of this forum will be very low on my list.

Registered User Array sprinter 27's Avatar
    Bike
    Ducati-gasgas-beta-ktm
    This site seems like it's lost a large amount of audience already , forcing password changes will only make it worse imo .
    Vihss ss 2013 class champion

Registered User Array monsterjammies's Avatar
    Bike
    vfr800
    Funny story. I worked at a place with a 90 day password reset policy. I left the place with a password of Password#13 after a little more than three years. No one figured out my previous 12 passwords, so that strategy is validated and secure. I am glad I left that place.

Does this new policy have anything to do with - http://jalopnik.com/45-million-accou...r-f-1782030203 ?

Bike
    Gixxer k9

hey all,

A good piece of advice, to help in remembering the more complex password, is to do a phrase instead of just randomly adding in the extra requirements.

Example: BoiledCabbageis#1!

That will stick in your in your mind better.

~Shane

Bike
    SeaBeeRRRR
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjammies View Post
    Funny story. I worked at a place with a 90 day password reset policy. I left the place with a password of Password#13 after a little more than three years. No one figured out my previous 12 passwords, so that strategy is validated and secure. I am glad I left that place.

Does this new policy have anything to do with - http://jalopnik.com/45-million-accou...r-f-1782030203 ?
    There has been numerous large breaches lately on almost a daily basis.. anyone who happens to cycle passwords between diff sites or uses the same password on another site or multiples is at high risk. i know it sounds stupid but people actually do this..
    "Give a man a gun, he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world"

If you are going to jail for theft, you just didn't steal enough money.
    See: HSBC

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    so if we change our password now, are we going to have to change it again on the forced reset?

To those resistant to this change, you should learn to accept this. It's going to happen more and more. Heck, I even change my bank and credit card pins every 6 months, especially after major shopping holidays.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad B View Post
    i know it sounds stupid but people actually do this..
    Like Mark Zuckerberg. That's gotta be embarrassing, but also a great public reminder to not reuse passwords.*

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjammies View Post

The article fails to mention that the breach was for a third party plugin. This breach is on countless sites across the internet and not just limited to ours.

Their system was compromised and they grabbed user data for us and thousands of others. We cleared our part of the breach and went this route to further security. This is also in place as many members on the internet use the same or similar passwords across all things they use.

These tech blogs don't ever get the full story, there just have hearsay and run with and embellish it.

We cannot go into detail at the moment as it is being dealt with on a legal level.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    so if we change our password now, are we going to have to change it again on the forced reset?

To those resistant to this change, you should learn to accept this. It's going to happen more and more. Heck, I even change my bank and credit card pins every 6 months, especially after major shopping holidays.
    I like to rotate my personal ones every few months. Mind you I don't have any money in the bank to steal

It is a good policy to have, as I have known many people who use 1 password for all things. Their eyes get opened pretty quickly after a breach of their information.

- JB

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Soooo, how long had you known this site was compromised and your member's information stolen before you decided to let us know about it?

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
    Soooo, how long had you known this site was compromised and your member's information stolen before you decided to let us know about it?
    pwned.

goddamn those tech blogs - uncovering our cover up.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Bay R1 View Post
    For what friggin reason???? I've had the same password and handle on all the forums I go on and I don't want to change that. You have absolutely no reason to do this than you want to so leave it alone!!

Apply this and you've lost me as a user!!

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...k/#more-114482