Attention - Password and Security Update
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention - Password and Security Update

Attention - Password and Security Update

Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Sounds like a pain in the arse.*

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    So many times I've heard about how expiring passwords are pointless.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
    Sounds like a pain in the arse.*
    I have some friends in other industries who have to change their own passwords every 30 days. now THAT is a pain in the arse. Once a year aint so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    So many times I've heard about how expiring passwords are pointless.
    Some people make that argument, however, it forces members to use more complex passwords and not some of the easier ones like "password" which are easily guessed. Having them on rotate also keeps them fresh.

Thanks,
    - JB

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    I've had the same password here since signup in 2002. That's ... not good ! (fortunately it's a one-off)

Especially given the recent trend of major password dumps making it onto the net, it makes complete sense that they're forcing a mass password update.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    I've had the same password here since signup in 2002. That's ... not good ! (fortunately it's a one-off)

Especially given the recent trend of major password dumps making it onto the net, it makes complete sense that they're forcing a mass password update.
    L f'n oL. Well done dna.
    Now instead of losing your junk forum password, they can lose a real password. Security for all.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    L f'n oL. Well done dna.
    Now instead of losing your junk forum password, they can lose a real password. Security for all.
    nah, all my passwds are randomized: easy to forget, but easy to reset

#!/bin/bash
    MATRIX="0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdef ghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
    LENGTH="16"

while [ "${n:=1}" -le "$LENGTH" ]
    do
    let n+=1
    done
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Array Fanny Bay R1's Avatar
    Bike
    06 Yamaha R1, 01 Dookie 996
    Just leave it alone for god's sake its a motorcycle forum!!
    Cheers!!
    Andy
    06 Yamaha R1 (50th Anniversary) - R1's forever!!
    Georgeous Ducati 996 (the only bike as pretty as my R1!!)

Changing your password every so often is not a bad thing, and is not that long of a process.

Thank you so much

~ Glenda

Bike
    For what friggin reason???? I've had the same password and handle on all the forums I go on and I don't want to change that. You have absolutely no reason to do this than you want to so leave it alone!!

Apply this and you've lost me as a user!!
    Cheers!!
    Andy

Registered User Array m_grewal52's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha YZF-R3
    meh not that hard to add a number or two to the end of your current password, stop crying about your first world problems people!

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Bay R1 View Post
    For what friggin reason???? I've had the same password and handle on all the forums I go on and I don't want to change that.
    Shirley, you can't be serious.. that would be just asking to be owned. Good luck

Apply this and you've lost me as a user!!
    ...because then you'd have no idea how to log back in?

Bike
    Yep I'm sick of administrators wasting my time, this isn't a banking site or a work site its a fucking forum and I don't need some twat telling me to change my password I've had on the site for 8-9 years!!
    Cheers!!
    Andy

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Yep I'm sick of administrators wasting my time, this isn't a banking site or a work site its a fucking forum and I don't need some twat telling me to change my password I've had on the site for 8-9 years!!
    lol. bye.

From N00bie to Wannabe Array FASTn50's Avatar
    Bike
    2005 VFR 800A (Red!) 2006 CFR 450X (Red!) 2012 Ninja 250R (Red!) 2012 BMW F800GS (Blue/White)
    But; think of the marketing coup PhilipB can show his/her superiors and customers: membership will drop 50%! What a great pitch!

The law of unintended consequences.