Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Attention - Password and Security Update

Self-proclaimed VIP Array digirat's Avatar
    Bike
    2011 ZX1000G
    Firstnamelastname1? that's way less secure than my old password. Why not let people keep their insecure passwords if they choose to? Seriously, if someone hacked my bcsb, I wouldn't give a shit. Why have such a strong password policy for a FORUM? Let US make the decision whether or not we want to keep it secure or not

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by digirat View Post
    Why not let people keep their insecure passwords if they choose to? Seriously, if someone hacked my bcsb, I wouldn't give a shit. Why have such a strong password policy for a FORUM? Let US make the decision whether or not we want to keep it secure or not
    Nothing stopping the users from changing passwords BACK to 'fluffybunnyR1'. The issue has never been about protecting your BCSB account. No one gives a shit if your profile gets overrun and starts shit-posting top 10 lists and out-of-closet confessions.

The issue is; the overwhelming laziness of users, and the need for 'the administration' to protect THEMSELVES.

Chances are, if you're the sort of bloke to have a pass like fluffybunnyR1 (just guessing: but it's not unreasonable to think that perhaps as much as 60%+ of users here have passwords related to their bike of choice), you're also the lazy sort of bloke who maybe - just maybe - has also re-used this password elsewhere - surely no one would be so daft as to have the _same_ password set for their email or e-banking; but ok, let's say someone does; users are clearly proud of being ignorant and lazy after all... so perhaps it's not too far fetched to imagine a scenario where attackers are able to gleam enough info to get access to your email account itself. They then lock you out of said email account, and leverage 'your e-dentity' there to go about gaining access to your banking, your bitcoins, your .. whatever. So some ignorant bloke gets robbed, and then comes back here to lambast administration and point fingers for his 'getting hacked'.

It's never YOUR fault, you see...
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Yeh, but can you adjust your own valves, and change tyres?
    Why yes, but it's been said I'm a bit of a renaissance man
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I'm ok using Taptalk but not on the other site. I can't seem to change it on that site. I'm not sure I will bother just yet.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    10 fucking characters?!?! with all the ads and how shitty/slow some of your other sites run (RC51 forums) i'm tempted to use FUCKYOUverticalscope01! as a password.

10 characters plus everything else is a bit of an over reaction guys. this is bcsb we're talking about, not the pentagon.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Registered Abuser Array Hayabuser's Avatar
    Bike
    2018 BMW RnineT Racer, 1983 Suzuki Katana 1260
    So.... my password was reset... but I didn't receive an e-mail since I have no idea what old e-mail account I used to sign up back in the day... so not being able to log in, or have a new password sent to me, I had to re-register under a new username... with a new password that I've likely already forgotten. Why does the internet need to be so difficult?*

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser View Post
    So.... my password was reset... but I didn't receive an e-mail since I have no idea what old e-mail account I used to sign up back in the day... so not being able to log in, or have a new password sent to me, I had to re-register under a new username... with a new password that I've likely already forgotten. Why does the internet need to be so difficult?*
    If you are unable to get your password resets properly sorted out due to old emails on your account still after the notice was sent out, we ask that you go down to the contact us area, and with the subject line of "password reset" add the following contents for me:

- Account Name
    - Email On the account
    - Email You need it changed to if need be

add all this, then hit send, and someone on our team will answer that email and fix your account up no problem.

You can do the same and send us a PM privately to have it manually changed, but due to the influx and us tackling a lot of issues, this would be a slower way of getting it reset. we recommend you use the contact us form to get it resolved if you can. If that does fail though and you have waited too long, send us a PM and we will Manually reset it. Just make sure you supply the information above for a quicker fix.

Also, If you do have the right email on your account, I would ask you to please check your spam/junk folders as sometimes with certain email providers, it tends to land in there.

if you all need anything else, please let me know.

~Shane

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    You want us to use complicated passwords but you do not supply a httpS connection for logins. Pretty dumb. Talk about closing the barn door after the cows ran off.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    fwiw, at the time of the password reset, the email was so botched I had to go out and find the direct password reset link myself - (https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw)

fortunately I was able to do this on the day of the change. If I wasn't able to manually request the reset I'd still be locked out. However, It now looks like the reset script is checking referral headers, which completely fucks anyone without a current login coming in from google. By clicking the link as listed here the referral domain should atleast be 'correct'

I also had to dig up an older browser that still supports flash, as the reset 'captcha' was flashed based. So that's also fucked right up....

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    The use of O and 0 in an e-mailed password?
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    You want us to use complicated passwords but you do not supply a httpS connection for logins. Pretty dumb. Talk about closing the barn door after the cows ran off.
    Hey there

Https and SSL connections are something tech is looking in to, however it would take time to implement across our network, and the resets had to happen more quickly than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post
    The use of O and 0 in an e-mailed password?
    These passwords are auto-generated and do not take in to consideration the similar looking and easily confused characters. This is why we strongly suggest you copy and paste these passwords, and not try to manually type them out.

Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    fwiw, at the time of the password reset, the email was so botched I had to go out and find the direct password reset link myself - (https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw)

fortunately I was able to do this on the day of the change. If I wasn't able to manually request the reset I'd still be locked out. However, It now looks like the reset script is checking referral headers, which completely fucks anyone without a current login coming in from google. By clicking the link as listed here the referral domain should atleast be 'correct'

I also had to dig up an older browser that still supports flash, as the reset 'captcha' was flashed based. So that's also fucked right up....
    Could you expand on what you mean by the email being botched? Did you receive something that was illegible? Or are you referring to the email providers slotting us as spam and delaying, or not delivering the messages.

For captcha, I've heard we are looking in to alternatives, but at the moment there is nothing set in stone about it.

Dayle

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser View Post
    Why does the internet need to be so difficult?*
    Because incompetence apathy and negligence. * * *