IOM TT 2016-- A photo essay.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IOM TT 2016-- A photo essay.

Bike
    2009 ZX6R---2008 KLX 450 SM---2005 SV650

IOM TT 2016-- A photo essay.

Well as the title says I went again to the TT, again I planned it 6 weeks or less in advance, again it wasn't anywhere near as difficult or expensive as people who have never been like to make it out to be.

So as I pointed out, multiple times, I went to this years TT. It came out of fucking nowhere... I had spent month planning an Ireland trip based around the NW 200. However 2 weeks before go time my mother, who has wanted to travel to Ireland got an illness which would prevent her from travelling for a couple months.

I was obviously disappointed, so basically I said fuck it, I'm going to Bali then the TT. Scrambled to book everything for both trips and it all worked out.

So phase one was 3.5 weeks in Bali/Lombok with my GF. We rented a KTM 390 for the entirety of the trip. In that country the 390 is basically the equivalent to a super duke, as most bikes are sub 200cc.

A couple obligatory pics.

It was a fucking awesome machine. I really can't say enough good shit about this bike. It was loud as all fuck, and perfect for Bali... Well a 690sm would be truly perfect, but it was close. Great for lane splitting, nice on the mountain roads and got a ton of attention everywhere it went. Only one shake down by the Police so all in all it went well. Blew both fork seals, and did an unreasonable number of burnouts... Because rental.

The trip to the IOM was going to be a long one, even if all went smoothly, 5 hrs to HK, then another 11-12 to LHR, then 3 hours on a train to Liverpool. Then 25 mins on a plane.

It didn't go smoothly, and we spent a lot of fucking time in airports, 24 hours right off the bat in Bali. But hey, airports have some nice architecture.

This chicks face sums up my feelings fucking perfectly.

This long hallway is a great metaphor for the dark, long, and gloomy trip.

As per usual I didn't go straight to Liverpool, I made a stop to visit friends and family in North Wales.

Then on to Liverpool. It's a great city, truthfully, it's nowhere near the shit hole the people of Britain will have you believe. The blend of old school industrial, modern minimalism, and punk rock filth is honestly one of a kind. The only city which even attempts to come close is maybe Baltimore.

Stopped for a pint down at Albert Dock.

It was at this point I thought, I really don't want to miss tomorrow's practice... Called the girl who we would be staying with. "Ya you could come tonight"

Went on Expedia and booked a flight. Canceled our ferry and grabbed a cab to the airport.

As an aside, John Lennon Airport is the most disgusting thing to ever have John Lennon attached to it... Save for maybe that .45 round

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    So as I am struggling with photobucket and BCSB I will take some time to editorialise practice week.

The weather throughout the fortnight was record breaking, I choose those words for a reason. Everyone had tons of time on all their bikes and the track was starting to look like a short circuit with the amount of rubber piling up in places. From night one it was clear that there were two story lines. Hutchinson and Dunlop in a league of their own, and Bruce Anstey on the the RCV. If you dont know about the RCV, look it up.

First MD and hutchy are both on the "same' bikes the BMW S1000rr and Yamaha R6 which is very clearly the bike to have in 2016, the trusty Fireblade no longer looks competitive, the R1 is a piece of shit, as is the GSXR. No one is running a Duc, at least no one competitive. The ZX10R looks like a bike capable of winning, but it is not on the level of Bavarian bikes. The Norton has made some great steps, it looks like a top 10 machine...but nothing more. It is however hands down the nicest looking and sounding machine in the field.

The only wildcard is the RCV. Literally days before practice started Clive Padgett revealed that Bruce Anstey was going to race the Honda RCV. Which for those who are unaware is basically a street going Moto GP machine...basically not exactly. It was the talk of the island, how quick will it be? Could they get it set up in time to be competitive? Would it be legal? Would it be quicker than the Fireblade, which Bruce had just set a record on at the NW 200?

I talk and have more of a connection with Padgetts than any other team, save for maybe Dunlops Hawk Racing. So I was incredibly excited to see Bruce have a go on it.

As the week went on it became clearer and clearer that no one was sandbagging, Dunlop and Hutchy were just that fucking good. Apart from possibly Bruce...but it would sadly be proven he wasn't.

Hutchinson's 600, Team Traction Control R6. It has one every TT race it has ever been entered in, a streak they would look to continue.

Early on in practice week Bruce was running both the Fireblade and the RCV, the RCV had dropped some lightening quick sectors, but it appeared he would back off over the mountain, so maybe he did have something left...but we will never know if the bike could have challenged for podiums in 2016. While on the blade he came off at over 150 mph, most say nearer 170. This was his second 150mph plus crash in under a month on the roads...he had crashed out of the NW 200 weeks earlier. It would not be let on until after the TT, but he fractured his ankle among other injuries in this crash. He continued on but was far from 100%.

I had a good long chat with him at Goodwood on my way home, he seemed hopeful that the RCV could be developed, and that he would continue to race it this season and next, giving Padgetts a leg up on the other Honda guys who will be developing the new fireblade next year.

Here are his Scott Leathers from the crash.

Last edited by stonecold; 07-12-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Bike
    Saved...

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    More saved.

Bike
    Saved.....

Bike
    Saved!!!!

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Quite the Adventure.............do tell more
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Saved for reaction.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    so, the foreplay has been excellent. when do we get to the money moves? ( waiting with baited breath...)
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    You're such a tease. Call me.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    a slow one
    bet you his password got reset and sent to an old email address he never checks anymore so he is unable to log into the site now

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    He's still on the trip. Not home yet.

Bike
    My apologies lads...travel mixed with password reset... I just got deterred. But... I will do some posting now.
    @behindbars604

its all about the U baby

Bike
    just spent 45 minutes writing a post only to have it lost by this piece of shit forum
    @behindbars604

its all about the U baby

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Bummer. Place your copy in a text editor as a safeguard before you hit publish, especially with long posts... but you probably know this now.

Sure you had an awesome time.