A week in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A week in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana

Bike
    Ninja1k
    Nicely done. How do you find the butler maps versus DH maps? Why the comment on pace in parks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Talonz, I think the presentation on the DH maps is nicer than the Butlers. Cleaner, more open, easier to interpret. Mostly they don't cover the same ground, but here's an example of the same area: central California, the backcountry south of Oakhurst, northeast of Fresno. First, Butler:

IMG_6541(M) by Don Serl, on Flickr

second, DH:

IMG_6531(M) by Don Serl, on Flickr

the scale is different , of course, but see my point?

the other side of the issue is that ( a) Butler are producing new maps, covering new areas, all the time; whereas the DH guys have done nothing new for many years; and ( b) the Butler maps are about $15, whereas the DH maps are twice ( or more) than that. I think it's over for the Destination Highways business formula...

but bottom line, all information is worthwhile, so I own them all!

as to why the comment on pace in parks, I went into this expecting to travel slowly in Yellowstone ( and I don't as a rule travel 'fast' in Nat Parks anyway), but the level of traffic on the southern route into Y'stone from the Tetons far exceeded what I imagined. this reinforced for me my typical pattern of travelling early ( before Memorial Day) or late ( after Labour Day) rather than in high season. but sometimes you have to go in summer - the Beartooth Pass, for instance, won't be open early, and probably would get awfully cold by mid-Sept.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Registered User Array
    Bike
    none
    A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Thank you for sharing!