Bitcoin Holders Beware - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin Holders Beware

Bike
    ummm
    So,,,,,how do you actually buy Bit, or any other currency of this type? Are there online 'brokers?

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    I still don't understand how that whole thing works. Apparently it has value but it seems tenuous at best.
    good intro for the uninitiated;
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    So,,,,,how do you actually buy Bit, or any other currency of this type? Are there online 'brokers?
    super easy! anyone with internet banking can get up and running, and dip their feet into the crypto world in just a few moments;

1: get a wallet (many options here). A wallet is what you put money 'in'. There are 3 major types, in order of simplicity -> security:

- Software wallet. (Several options: I prefer the easy-to-use multi-crypto-capable Jaxx wallet; https://jaxx.io). Get in on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac OSX, Linux...
    - Paper wallet. (https://www.bitaddress.org - generate client-side paper wallet, print out, keep secure, send to-from the address)
    - Hardware wallet. (many options: ex; https://trezor.io - ultimate security, can even lose device or plug into malware infested machines without worry)

(I'll assume for simplicity sake, you start with the sofware wallet Jaxx. It handles many cryptos. For now we will focus on BTC)

2: Purchase BTC online in moments with no signup: https://quickbt.com/ca/ . (There's also some BTC atm machines sprinkled around downtown Vancouver. )
    - in Jaxx, use 'copy to clipboard' option to copy your BTC wallet address, and paste into the 'address' field of the quickbt website. You don't want any mistakes in the address you're sending to!
    - for 'amount', you can purchase anywhere from $5 to $100~ through this site (capped per 24hrs). In BTC terms, that's *currently* (2017-01-14:1611) anywhere from about 0.00461 to 0.09 BTC. (i just type "20CAD in bitcoin" into google search and it autoconverts pretty accurately)
    - fill in a phone# and it will text you confirmation code. Enter pin texted to you into the applicable field.
    - email address for receipt

--upon completion, the desired amount of BTC will be sent to the btc address supplied; --so it IS essential to get this address correct-- hence the use of 'copy to clipboard' and the QT image codes. Block times are (usually) about 10-15 minutes, and you can watch this get confirmations on the blockchain. (you need about 4 'confirms' before you can re-send BTC you have just received)

congratulations, you've just joined the financial revolution

For MORE than about $100 worth of BTC-per-24hrs, you'll need(*) to sign up for an exchange, which does involve the full 'know your customer' compliance.
    https://www.quadrigacx.com/ is a vancouver based exchange. It may take a few days to get fully verified, but then the daily caps are much higher

* - or you could pursue an 'off the chain' transaction
    Last edited by DNAspark99; 01-14-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    You guys in the lower mainland are lucky. Quadrigacx is handy. Just go in and buy some coin. I think they like cash transactions Or make an account to see withdrawal and deposit options. I don't think they need verification under 3 grand.
    I do most of my business out of the country and I do need to be verified.

If you are going to deal with large amounts of btc bitstamp.net is the place to go. The only place licensed in Europe as far as I know. You'll get better deals and trades due to the high volume.

Quickbit, Netcoins, and Btms are ok for small amounts and you will pay a premium. https://www.gonetcoins.com/

My wallets of choice are multibit.org and electrum.org. I've heard good things about mycelium for android and iphone.

Try to avoid online wallets but if you must(for small amounts) coinbase.com would be my first pick. 2FA is a must.

Like dnaspark mentioned transactions are not reversible. You have to verify addresses carefully before pressing the "send" button. Any fuckups and you are SOL. Best play with small amounts till you get the hang of it.
    Last edited by oldgixxer; 01-14-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    so, if ur gonna hodl, how far for security? encrypted paper wallet micro etched on surgically implanted titanium strip and thermite grenade to the hardware, or something stronger?

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    so, if ur gonna hodl, how far for security? encrypted paper wallet micro etched on surgically implanted titanium strip and thermite grenade to the hardware, or something stronger?
    ideally you'll want a hardware wallet (ex, https://trezor.io/) for any non-dabbling amount of crypto.
    This sort of device will keep your keys safe and private, and otherwise immune from 'hacking'.
    The device can be lost or stolen; it still requires pins and passcodes to unlock your funds, and your access to your funds can restored and recovered to a new device if you 'lose' it.
    The only real 'issue' is keeping your seed words safe and secure. There's numerous games that can be played with this, it can likely even be 'hidden in plain view', if you give it the adequate camouflage.

Last edited by DNAspark99; 01-17-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    yabut. how do you know their software is secure? I know open source and all, but plenty of open source vulnerabilities out there. I think for me that it's probably enough (and prob the best bet considering its recovery/anti stupidity features), but how do you know for absolute certain that the only thing that can steal your coins is something that breaks bitcoin altogether?

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    yabut. how do you know their software is secure? I know open source and all, but plenty of open source vulnerabilities out there. I think for me that it's probably enough (and prob the best bet considering its recovery/anti stupidity features), but how do you know for absolute certain that the only thing that can steal your coins is something that breaks bitcoin altogether?
    certainly not impossible

obviously there's wizards out there who *can* pull off prettymuch anything. But note the firmware patch in response.
    So really you'd have to worry about an unknown attacker gaining physical access to your personal device to pull off an undiscovered 0-day? how many coins do you need to own to even begin to attract this kind of attention??!

but; if you're worried about it, go with a paper wallet, or do a fresh wallet generation from a bootable usb (tails!), note address, take down recovery phrase, and nuke the keys, shred the drive. hexdump a base64 encode of the recovery phrase, split into 4 parts, encrypt these chunks with seperate pass phrases and get the ASCII dumps, put this in 4 seperate locations, and draw up a davinci-code style misdirectional map; tear this into pieces and bury a piece on different continents, with the GPS to each one given to a seperate grandchild...

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    thanks. that was very interesting. I like the bit about the unscrupulous case removing attackers. as opposed to the abundant scruples of the thieving cunts who would leave your case intact I suppose.
    also, the summary where he mentions fault injection reminded me of glitching direct tv cards. that certainly didn't take any wizardry. hopefully hardware wallets are more robust than that.

obviously there's wizards out there who *can* pull off prettymuch anything. But note the firmware patch in response.
    So really you'd have to worry about an unknown attacker gaining physical access to your personal device to pull off an undiscovered 0-day? how many coins do you need to own to even begin to attract this kind of attention??!

but; if you're worried about it, go with a paper wallet, or do a fresh wallet generation from a bootable usb (tails!), note address, take down recovery phrase, and nuke the keys, shred the drive. hexdump a base64 encode of the recovery phrase, split into 4 parts, encrypt these chunks with seperate pass phrases and get the ASCII dumps, put this in 4 seperate locations, and draw up a davinci-code style misdirectional map; tear this into pieces and bury a piece on different continents, with the GPS to each one given to a seperate grandchild...
    at least it sounds like we are skinning the same cat with thermite grenade/surgical implant vs. shredder and davinci code. just wanted to make sure I was thinking about this properly.
    Last edited by sAdam; 01-17-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Bike
    ummm
    More on Bitcoin, and Chinese activity:

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/w...oin-what-next/

Sorry, old news,,,,can't remove it.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    good to see you're keeping up on all the 'latest' in bitcoin news; what, are all the metalhead news sites warming up to the idea of "gold 2.0" ?

as I'm sure you well know, the initial 'PBOC bitcoin ban' panic, which has indeed resulted in exchange investigations, halting of trading, and even freezing of withdrawals, has already been largely shrugged off and absorbed by the market; the bull is back running - hope ya'll bought the dip. SEC ETF final decision in March. place your bets accordingly

Bike
    ummm
    good to see you're keeping up on all the 'latest' in bitcoin news; what, are all the metalhead news sites warming up to the idea of "gold 2.0" ?

as I'm sure you well know, the initial 'PBOC bitcoin ban' panic, which has indeed resulted in exchange investigations, halting of trading, and even freezing of withdrawals, has already been largely shrugged off and absorbed by the market; the bull is back running - hope ya'll bought the dip. SEC ETF final decision in March. place your bets accordingly

It can be very good and safe to buy 'stuff' on paper with seasonal variances in mind. Natural gas for example, it works every year and is very safe. Gold used to be bought and sold like this as well, based on India's spring marriage season. Modi's clamp down on not only paper money, but gold transactions cross border has eliminated this in it's tracks. China is looking 'sternly' at Bitcoin's use as a means to get money out of the country. it can happen overnight.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    certainly 'not without risk'. however, "banning" it doesn't seem to work out so well. (how exactly DO you ban face-to-face transactions?)
    As you point out, it's rather easy to spot the guy with bullion in his shirt (step through the metal detector please sir), but nigh impossible to spot a memorized brainwallet crossing a border.

But really though; what.is.UP with this January 1988 Economist cover heralding the rise of a 'one world currency' ... in 2018 (seems an odd call to donkey-tail a year on that claim)

not going to be BTC though. It'll be something strictly controlled, de-anonymized, and highly regulated ... how else will they nullify 'dissidents' at will ?

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    All hail the creators of Phoenix cooiinnnnnnn

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    not going to be BTC though. It'll be something strictly controlled, de-anonymized, and highly regulated ... how else will they nullify 'dissidents' at will ?
    might be a place for both. I don't really think I want the neighbour buying his home with shady, murder for hire, crypto bucks. Since you're not an anarchist, I'm sure you agree.