Bitcoin Holders Beware - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin Holders Beware

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    But really though; what.is.UP with this January 1988 Economist cover heralding the rise of a 'one world currency' ... in 2018 (seems an odd call to donkey-tail a year on that claim)
    I think you're over thinking the date, they just did a '30 years from now' prediction.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Since you're not an anarchist, I'm sure you agree.
    well, it IS a Tuesday...
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    I think you're over thinking the date, they just did a '30 years from now' prediction.

aaa yes, the 80's. when 30-year predictions were all the rage. Just odd the artist didn't round up to 2020... when Robocop arrives
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    The Bank of Canada wants government intervention regarding digital currencies. They have also been working on their own. Do they see bitcoin as a threat?

https://btcmanager.com/boc-digital-c...ut-regulation/

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    Do they see bitcoin as a threat?
    Of course they do; no one wants to have their entire business model fall under the rise of the 'next napster'

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    The Bank of Canada wants government intervention regarding digital currencies. They have also been working on their own. Do they see bitcoin as a threat?

https://btcmanager.com/boc-digital-c...ut-regulation/
    What government, all government sees as the ultimate threat, is the cash society. they want to know about every transaction, everyone's deposit, everyone's value. The push for cashless society so they can tax it is their ultimate goal. They are testing it now in India, and most will not accept Australian $100's, and EU $500's now. I predict only the U.S. dollar as the world currency within 25 yrs.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Well almost at "parity" with gold again, which means exactly jack shit I guess, but kinda exciting regardless .*
    They say the pending etf is about $150 of value. *I call bullshit. *I'm thinking it dumps $400 if the etf fails and only goes up about $100 if at all if the sec gives their ok.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    a lot of eyes on the ETF for sure; decision could go either way at this point, but hodler's know: on this it's ultimate fate does not depend.

but I think i'm going to grab some more BTC here, keep it on the tables for the drop ... if it's a yes, hodl on as it trends up... no: instant duck and cover from the btc dump into ETH or alt of choice and ride the inverse wave up ...win-win, whicheverway the COIN flops

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    I can't buy into eth. *I hope that popescu or whoever broke that shittily written dao thing does sue and get his money back.
    How is eth better than fiat if the developer can say : ya screw your money I don't like what u did so, fuckin yoink.
    If anything, that makes it even less fungible than serialized paper cash.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Odds are against the ETF going through. Buying now could bring a short term loss of up to $400. You wouldn't lose long term.
    I'm waiting till after the 11th for a buying opportunity. If it does go through, that's fine too.

I'm not an Eth guy either. It stunk from day one.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    I can't buy into eth. *I hope that popescu or whoever broke that shittily written dao thing does sue and get his money back.
    How is eth better than fiat if the developer can say : ya screw your money I don't like what u did so, fuckin yoink.
    If anything, that makes it even less fungible than serialized paper cash.*
    ETH is not intended to be a store of value though.

What ETH aims to be far outweighs the fallout from the DAO fiasco imo. I don't care about the moral platitudes around immutability of in-development un-finished tech. Why should a hostile actor keep 15% total supply before it's even out of beta? BECAUSE of beta they could rollback; why should a cheater keep his score post-launch?

At least it got everyone thinking about their smart-contract security first & foremost....

Recently announced 'Enterprise Ethereum Alliance' with JPMorgan, Microsoft, Intel...

ETH is too promising to ignore completely. internet 3.0 right here. but you're right to be wary... attack surface the size of jupiter...
    Last edited by DNAspark99; 03-01-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    ETH is not intended to be a store of value though.

What ETH aims to be far outweighs the fallout from the DAO fiasco imo. I don't care about the moral platitudes around immutability of in-development un-finished tech. Why should a hostile actor keep 15% total supply before it's even out of beta? BECAUSE of beta they could rollback; why should a cheater keep his score post-launch?

At least it got everyone thinking about their smart-contract security first & foremost....

Recently announced 'Enterprise Ethereum Alliance' with JPMorgan, Microsoft, Intel...

ETH is too promising to ignore completely. internet 3.0 right here. but you're right to be wary... attack surface the size of jupiter...
    fair point about its intent. the dao hack just seems to illustrate (to my infantile understanding of the software) the problem with smart contracts. either the code is the law, so to speak, or it's not, and, if not, we are back to contracts with terms like "reasonable" and all the arbitration and litigation overhead that those terms entail. If that's the case, then what does ETH achieve.

Im sure there are some use cases like the ones mentioned in the press, like interbank clearing, and mega merchant order management, but if the use is limited then how will there be sufficient demand for miners to build the network, and all that stuff already works without magic blockchain sauce.

Anyhow, I'm sure all these questions are answered somewhere, if they even make sense.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    ETF *DENIED*

glad I held my alts! ETH moon, XMR moon... BTC needs to come down out of LEO for refueling

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Bitcoin bounced back nicely from the resulting dumpage. I'm waiting to see what happens over the next days. I expect a downturn and it could go on for weeks/months. I'm glad this Etf bs is over at any rate.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    wow. I was all wrong. less than $100 correction for etf speculation. bargain hunters had like 2 hours to get in there.

started reading the SEC decision.
    https://www.sec.gov/rules/sro/batsbzx/2017/34-80206.pdf

some good points to be sure, but this one got me. maybe i'm taking it out of context.
    ...the price of bitcoin is defined entirely by speculation, without any ties to fundamentals.
    errrm. isn't that the point? what "fundamental" do they propose to tie to this giant waste of electrons?

Also, WTF is happening to DASH?