Bitcoin Holders Beware
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin Holders Beware

Bike
    ummm

Bitcoin Holders Beware

I know there are Bitcoin 'investors' on this forum. Take note that The People's Bank of China has taken notice, as Bitcoin, among other commodities, is being used as a value escape out of China [like Vancouver Real Estate]. A swipe of a pen could reduce it's value to ZERO.

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/i...ainst-bitcoin/

Bike
    Honda
    I still don't understand how that whole thing works. Apparently it has value but it seems tenuous at best.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    I still don't understand how that whole thing works. Apparently it has value but it seems tenuous at best.
    Its value is how much anyone thinks it's worth at the time, like any currency or commodity. More and more online stores were accepting Bitcoin.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I know there are Bitcoin 'investors' on this forum. Take note that The People's Bank of China has taken notice, as Bitcoin, among other commodities, is being used as a value escape out of China [like Vancouver Real Estate]. A swipe of a pen could reduce it's value to ZERO.

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/i...ainst-bitcoin/
    I will admit China is the biggest user of bitcoin. But to say btc will go to ZERO is a stretch. China made serious threats about regulation and banning of btc in early 2014 and bitcoin survived nicely. MtGox was the biggest influence on price and btc survived that too.

The price crashed several days ago and it was blamed on the Bank of China telling citizens the risks of btc. Nothing new. Its happened before. Frankly, btc was due to crash at anytime. It had a meteoric rise from $900 to $1150 USD in just days.

Investing in bitcoin is risky. The reward can be high.

One must keep in mind there will never be more than 21 million bitcoins. That's it.

My advice would be for everyone to buy one and salt it away. Who knows what this shit might be worth in years to come.

I sold a fair number of coins over Xmas. Bitcoin was very very good to me. I've kept some for long term. Perhaps my grandchildren will be wealthy.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    ^ yep. buy a few. max risk: less than some new bike gear. max reward: god knows.
    its a value reserve like gold. all the gold in the world 7 trillion buks, all the bitcoin 13 billion buks. ya it's gonna be more volatile, but the potential reward is so much greater. unless something novel, like quantum computing breaks it (highly unlikely), it's doubtful it will go to zero. its so far and beyond any other digital currency already, it's hard to imagine another one supplanting it. totally not impossible though.
    the secret will be keeping it safe if it does go stupid. if a bit coin goes to a million buks, all the InfoSec in the world will be hardly enough to keep your shit safe. bad guys with skillz abound, and people dabbling in this shit aren't nearly paranoid enough.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    ^ yep. buy a few. max risk: less than some new bike gear. max reward: god knows.
    its a value reserve like gold. all the gold in the world 7 trillion buks, all the bitcoin 13 billion buks. ya it's gonna be more volatile, but the potential reward is so much greater. unless something novel, like quantum computing breaks it (highly unlikely), it's doubtful it will go to zero. its so far and beyond any other digital currency already, it's hard to imagine another one supplanting it. totally not impossible though.
    the secret will be keeping it safe if it does go stupid. if a bit coin goes to a million buks, all the InfoSec in the world will be hardly enough to keep your shit safe. bad guys with skillz abound, and people dabbling in this shit aren't nearly paranoid enough.
    Interesting.

My knowledge on Bitcoin is limited, mainly because the aspect that it is a virtual commodity in that you cannot grab and stick it in your pocket, or bury under a tree. I'm a gold bug, and have done very well by it during the economic crisis of 2008-2011. Bitcoin has, IMO, a slight advantage over gold in that the number "issued" is finite, whereas there's still gold in the ground, it's advantage is it's increasing cost to mine/refine it for distribution.

It will be very interesting to see, in the near future, when governments attempt to eliminate the cash society, with the goal of, IMO, ultimate taxability and/or confiscation on every monetary movement from everyone, as all government scrambles for more money to cover unattainable demands on peoples' demands on government, and government employee pensions. Surely gold could be confiscated physically, and no question that Bitcoin could be confiscated and/or monitored during electronic movement. Government has the strongest ability to hire hackers to confiscate electronic monetary movement, less so a sack of gold coins buried in the back yard,,,,,,, or shoved up your ass. Global government is currently trying out partial elimination of cash on the worlds largest democracy [India], where 75% of people do not have a bank account, everything is done in cash, and Australia has recently eliminated one of it's larger monetary notes. Total confiscation has been done before [Cyprus], and will be attempted again.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    you keep saying you don't understand bitcoin. I think you should delve in. it's really interesting. I don't think many people actually understand the nuts and bolts of the cryptography that builds the blockchain (I sure don't), but you can pretty easily understand all the rest, and just call that part magic. actually a lot of it is still magic to me. I misspeak all the time when i'm talking about it.

physical gold is basically immune to digital theft, but btc is way more resistant to physical theft. both are totally vulnerable to the ball peen hammer and rubber hose cryptanalysts.
    the nice thing about btc is its portability. all you need is your private key, a truncated version of which can even be committed to memory (although the security of those truncated keys is in question).

the weird thing about physical gold and btc is that, at core, they are both a hedge against some intermediate level of financial shittines, like hyperinflation and government confiscation. we have no reason to believe that there would be a steady state there. if it devolved from there into a prepper's wet dream of collapse of infrastructure and law, gold and btc are garbage. preserved food and ammunition are the things.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY

I ain't shook.
    HODL ON!

Yes, bitcoin price recently suffered a massive bear attack at the hands of China inspections.
    Good - I bought more. Crypto is so far 'up' compared to my metals, it's in another orbit completely. I'm still debating dumping the old heavy stuff and putting all eggs in the crypto basket. ("you can put all your eggs in one basket -- just be sure to watch that basket VERY closely" -- warren buffet) ((I include more than one crypto in my baskets though))

What China has done here, is actually taken steps towards legitimizing the coin. WHOA NOW SAY WHAT?.
    Could they uncover massive corruption and fake volumes and stab it through the heart sometime next week? VERY possibly. (that would certainly not be good for price in short-to-medium term). But they have not come in heavy handed yet, which is actually a pretty good sign so far.

Now, what you should all know... is that the current and final deadline for the SEC to make a final decision on the bitcoin ETF in sometime in March this year. If they approve it, it puts bitcoin on wallstreet as an investment vehicle for the 'average man'. And this china 'crackdown' is actually good in the eyes of the SEC. IF that gets approved... ya best be HODL'in

You're absolutely right Steve that the 'war on cash' is well underway.
    Rumors of door-to-door gold confiscation are bubbling up in india.

Ban bitcoin? I hope so. That always works out so well. How did prohibition work for booze price?
    That would just open the conversation to introduce a crypto called 'Monero'.... or one of the other privacy coins... (of which, currently, XMR is by far the 'best')... aka, good fuckin' luck, bigbro

and Steve, i know you like your 'touchables'. This is still possible with crypto, if you *really* want to bury it in the backyard -- you can load 'physical' wallets...

This is the new $1000 bill

...I'm AM thinking about ordering up some of this shiny stuff to hold some of my XMR's;

---but of course ...this is a sacrifice of one of the key benefits of crypto (no one can 'walk off with it').

Sure wouldn't want to lose a $1,000,000 coin, would ya?

--- and another one for Steve -- why not best of both worlds? crypto with a 1-to-1 gold backing:

https://www.dgx.io/
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    the weird thing about physical gold and btc is that, at core, they are both a hedge against some intermediate level of financial shittines
    Exactly. Bitcoin is often referred to as digital "gold".

Its a great store of value and beats the hell out of burying gold in the back yard or hiding fiat in the mattress. You can print your bitcoins to paper if you so desire and lock them in a safety deposit box.

Not that btc is immune to theft. You got to know what you are doing with it. This will be more of a problem as time goes on as sAdam mentioned.

Sadly, the learning curve is still an issue for those starting off. Wallet software can be confusing and complicated but they are getting better. I've been into it for four years and still don't understand all the mechanics of it.

Due to price volitility, bitcoin trading can be extremely lucrative but its not for the faint hearted. I've made some day trading but going long is where the real money is and its not so stressful. I don't want to be glued to a computer 24/7 either.

About other cryptocurrencies? Not so great. There is a glut of IPO, ICO(initial coin offering), and ITO(initial token offering) circulating. These are all scams and have pretty well decimated the altcoin scene in recent years. They collect millions of dollars and go no where. You may have noticed the Chronobank ads in facebook.

Ethereum brought in the most of any ICO. It was hyped up, big time, for a couple years before release. Its been tainted by bad code, hacking, manipulation, and the list goes on. First big red flag with Eth was when they moved from Canada to Switzerland to avoid prying eyes of government agencies. I expect it to keep going down price wise. Buterin, the "genius" behind Eth admitted Eth would continue as a "community" project in the future. Translation: abandon it and retire on the millions he made from it. Fricken scams and ponzi schemes gallore in the digital currency world.

Litecoin is the only altcoin I see that may survive long term not that there arn't other good ones. No scandals and good code may win in the long run. Still referred to as the silver to bitcoin's gold. You would never know from today's price its silver. Price fell gradually over the years mainly due to people buying into scams and losing their shirts. Doesn't hurt to have a little stash of this just in case.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    That would just open the conversation to introduce a crypto called 'Monero'.... or one of the other privacy coins... (of which, currently, XMR is by far the 'best').
    Monero (XMR) and other privacy oriented coins could see more interest in the future. Not sure how much though. Its easy enough to cover your btc tracks with mixers, vpn, and tor.

I wouldn't go so far to say Monero is the best. It took them years to release a GUI wallet ffs when all the others had em. GUI wallets should have been available from the get go and that will forever haunt Monero. You have to wonder about how serious the developers were about their coin and their skill levels. Did they plan on abandoning Xmr after they made a few bucks? Like ... why make a wallet ... people are buying our shit now ....

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    i'm cautiously optimistic about ETH; Hands down the most interesting and ambitious thing in crypto at the moment - but yes, it's had a very bumpy road so far, NOT for faint-of-heart investment. ETH is *not* a currency. But what ETH 'aims' to do is so far beyond any other crypto, it's alone out there on the bleeding edge of development - and bleeding edges are bloody for a reason.
    There's a reason pretty much every major fintech institution is not-so-secretly exploring 'blockchain & smart contract' technology - many of these being based on Ethereum. It would enable such strange things as "companies without employees, banks without bankers, and laws without lawyers". That's worth hammering out the bugs.
    Still early yet though, likely more big disasters ahead before it hits an "inernet 3.0" moment. But that potential is there, imo. So I've always got my eye open for cheap ETH sales

XMR certainly beats out Zcash & Dash with their pre-mine & trusted setups. BTC blockchain is only pseudonymous and fungibility is questionable even through mixxers.

to fault XMR devs for building out the underlaying privacy features and functionality *before* finalizing the GUI speaks volumes about development priorities to me. RingCT just went into effect, protecting all transactions, senders, recipients, and amounts *by default* ... is the zcash private transactions even *working* yet?

GUI is right around the corner (in beta). Mobile cross-platform crypto-wallet (Jaxx (https://jaxx.io)) is about to release XMR integration "soon". The chinese crypto scene have begun to evaluate XMR in light of recent developments. Several more exchanges rumoured to be considering XMR integration. Future looks bright for Monero imo.
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    great, a thread written entirely in greek! thanks alot bcsb
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    great, a thread written entirely in greek! thanks alot bcsb
    and yet what great treasures were uncovered by decoding those cryptic & forgotten writings ...

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    GUI is right around the corner (in beta). Mobile cross-platform crypto-wallet (Jaxx (https://jaxx.io)) is about to release XMR integration "soon"
    to fault XMR devs for building out the underlaying privacy features and functionality *before* finalizing the GUI speaks volumes about development priorities to me
    XMR certainly beats out Zcash
    3 months, 6 months to release a wallet ... fine, but 3 fricken years ... ridiculous.

You know as well as I online wallets are a recipe for disaster. Don't know much about Jaxx though. It looks interesting. I might play around with small amounts to test. Thanks.

Zcash is joke. What's it trading at right now ... 40 bucks? Ridiculous again. Going to be another crop of unhappy bagholders. Don't get me going on this shit!

Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    3 months, 6 months to release a wallet ... fine, but 3 fricken years ... ridiculous.
    well, it's not that there was _no_ wallet; the command-line utilities took necessary precedence, and works quite well. The code is developed by an open source round table of crypto experts. Roadmaps and development plans had to be designed, structured, and implemented first. The tech must come before the toys.
    If it was up to me I'd wouldn't release the GUI until multisig functionality is in... *then*, all the tools in place for increased adoption and usage.

Zcash is joke. What's it trading at right now ... 40 bucks? Ridiculous again. Going to be another crop of unhappy bagholders. Don't get me going on this shit!
    indeed! zcrash is only good for miners; they just dump it for BTC. As more gets mined it can only go one way