Overnight to Goldendale - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Overnight to Goldendale

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Is your friend local? 'Cause I have never seen a VFR1200 on the road
    Agreed. I've only seen 2 in my life. One here, and one in California.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC
    The VFR1200 meet ups and group rides are always kind of a letdown.

Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    The VFR1200 meet ups and group rides are always kind of a letdown.

I had read all the bad interweb comments as well. Those and the ridiculous pricing insured that I never looked at them. Read the magazine reviews and you'll see a different story though. Honda ended up blowing them out of the warehouse. The guy who bought my bike included the original bill of sale. That $21K bike in 2010 sold brand new, left over stock for $11K in 2014. I'm not saying it will ever be an RC51, but those sat on dealer floors for years as well.

Range right now, after the tuning, is estimated at 260- 280 km per tank. I usually refuel at about 200-225 km and always have close to 4 litres left. That's punching a big hole with saddlebags. And after two or so hours, I'm always ready to take a break.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    nice trip report sir, i've done pretty much the same route, albeit south to north.

last year i almost pulled the trigger on a white vfr at the honda centre, but ended up choosing to stay with the blackbird.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post

I had read all the bad interweb comments as well. Those and the ridiculous pricing insured that I never looked at them. Read the magazine reviews and you'll see a different story though. Honda ended up blowing them out of the warehouse. The guy who bought my bike included the original bill of sale. That $21K bike in 2010 sold brand new, left over stock for $11K in 2014. I'm not saying it will ever be an RC51, but those sat on dealer floors for years as well.

Range right now, after the tuning, is estimated at 260- 280 km per tank. I usually refuel at about 200-225 km and always have close to 4 litres left. That's punching a big hole with saddlebags. And after two or so hours, I'm always ready to take a break.
    Yeah mine was less than that for a DCT brand new out the door with heated grips. I added the bags on later. After decades of doing all day trips on sport bikes it's like nothing I've ever experienced.

For fuel I find if I stop at 2 hours or so and gas up I can do that all day long with no fatigue vs. a longer stint but also longer breaks when I do stop.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    *last year i almost pulled the trigger on a white vfr at the honda centre, but ended up choosing to stay with the blackbird.
    I was considering that one as well ....... **

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Yeah mine was less than that for a DCT brand new out the door with heated grips. I added the bags on later. After decades of doing all day trips on sport bikes it's like nothing I've ever experienced.

For fuel I find if I stop at 2 hours or so and gas up I can do that all day long with no fatigue vs. a longer stint but also longer breaks when I do stop.
    I'd like to do the grips but $300 is pretty expensive, even though they fit flawlessly. You don't have any issues with the tight seat/peg fit? And what is your opinion of the DCT? I think a ride report on that would be interesting.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    RC
    I was considering that one as well ....... **

I'd like to do the grips but $300 is pretty expensive, even though they fit flawlessly. You don't have any issues with the tight seat/peg fit? And what is your opinion of the DCT? I think a ride report on that would be interesting.
    The grips were free; I think that was the plan to boost sales but I don't think it really made the difference. They sure are nice to have now.

The fit is just about perfect for me at 5'10" if anything the bars could be lowered and inch.

The DCT is fun; it's in essence just powershifting. You keep the gas on and pull the trigger till your tolerance for license removal is exceeded. It took some adjusting to though. The bike gets very squirrely when you treat it like normal and blip for downshifts, that's just not needed. I am also used to trailing the throttle on the brakes and slipping the clutch. If you trail the throttle you're fighting the brakes; and then just when you get that all firm in your head you go for a ride on the motard and have to reflash your brain again. And of course it takes a bit more oil and 2 filters on changes.

All in all though I'm super happy with it I got it to get something very different it's for sure that. I just heard on the Africa Twin DCT bikes you can get a foot shift kit to use instead of the handlebar paddles. If I was going for a new bike I think that would be pretty high on the test drive list.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    I'd like to do the grips but $300 is pretty expensive, even though they fit flawlessly.
    the VFR1200 heated grips are superb. I put them on my CB1000R - nearly plug and play - had to change one fitting. cost, expensive. value, priceless!

btw, do not underestimate how sporty the big fella can be. 3 yrs ago when I did my circuit of the USA, I rode in the Ozarks with a CB internet friend and a couple who were his friends. they rode two-up on a VFR1200, which had a rear tire much more fully worn on the edges than in the centre, and readily pulled away from me on twisty roads. of course, the roads were familiar to them and not to me, but I was still in awe...
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Great bike, congrats on the new purchase, Sikorsky!

How is the bike for wind management? Aside from peg:seat distance, any other revelations so far? How is the gearing? I've always been interested in these bikes however there wasn't much reception for them.

Bike
    RC
    I'm 5'10" and find the wind management good. It's a bit noisy around the helmet but I've been wearing earplugs for years so no biggie. Its' also easy enough to tuck and pop your head in the bubble when you turn it up to 11.

My inner consumer is tempted by the stick on wind deflectors for your hands but I don't think I need them. I just need to buy something to add to the bike.

One other observation. When you do put the speed up to 11 the fuel mileage increases. Not sure why but my guess it must have been mapped/geared for faster euro touring vs. NorAm slug pace.

Bike
    Honda
    I've noticed that about the mileage as well. Whereas other bikes drop noticeably (the RC went from terrible to abysmal) there is no noticeable reduction in range on the VFR. Also, tuck-in-ability is comfortably done at my height as well.

Bike
    CBR600RR

That's actually pretty good range... so the tuning must really help in that department.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    That's actually pretty good range... so the tuning must really help in that department.
    Basing it on 8,000 previous kilometres, range has increased slightly more than 10% after the tune. It is actually running richer but more efficiently now.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Yamaha
    Wow great report and filled with a-m-a-z-i-n-g photos!