Older Rider - Responsible Motorcycle Purchase
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Older Rider - Responsible Motorcycle Purchase

Bike
    Motorcycle

Older Rider - Responsible Motorcycle Purchase

Once again I am leading by example

BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    Superduke?*
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Yeah, nice
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    Superduke?*
    1290 Super Adventure R

I bought it from Maple Ridge Motorsports

Here is a series of cut and pastes from ADV Thread on my old bike and my new bike experience

Part 1

I picked mine up on Friday, traded in my 10 year old 990 adv.

It is a far more sophisticated bike than the 990, smoother with more amenities. I decided I wanted to get away from tubes and the bike was 10 years old

My 990 was pretty well done up, woody's wheels, Staintune pipes (no cats), Penske rear shock, traxxion front forks , Russell seat.

The heat was quite noticeable and think the cats are the big problem and may go with the Arrow Header pipe and toss the Cat.

Of course the Russell seat, double fan kit, after market lower temp thermostat on the 990 would have had some impact on heat.

Unfortunately, when I got home I had an oil leak, it appears that the rear head gasket may have missed being torqued to spec at the factory.

I phoned the shop and spoke to Troy the Service manager/owner , it was just after 3 pm on the Canada Day long weekend (and Canada's 150th birthday celebration) and the dealership is on the other side of Vancouver 35 miles from my house.

He said, I am sorry, we will fix this, where are you right now (I was home). I am coming to pick up your bike right now. Do you have something else to ride or do I need to bring something with me?

I said I am ok for bikes, and he said OK see you soon. He was at our house in about 90 minutes and I helped him load the bike and he was gone back into the traffic.

Part 2

Yes I was amazed at the service. By the way they still have 2 more 1290 Super Adventure R's in inventory. and three 1090's. I bought the first 1290. I asked the salesman why they has not sold any. He said I have no idea, no one has called.

The sales guy was a hoot to deal with, when I did the deal last week I have to make him take a deposit. I am now understanding why, they just expect people to stand by their promise to do the deal as agreed.

I told him that some of the other shops are telling people that all the bikes are gone in BC and taking deposits on next year's bike.

The other shops are still showing that they have 1290's on Craig's list even though they don't have any in stock.

It was funny when I went by to thank the salesman ( he is over 70) He said "Bill, enjoy the bike . I won't waste your time or mine showing what is what on the bike, after all you told me you had already downloaded the owners manual and read it, and call us if you need anything". :rofl

It still took me a minute to start the bike.

Part 3

MY 990 wasn't without it's flaws, but it took me to Inuvik, Prudhoe Bay and other roads north. I scouted a good number of Iron Butt Rally bonuses on it, worked the IBR 5000, which was a cross continent ride ti get to the start.

I rode the KTM on that trip because my pristine BMW K1200GT needed a part under warranty and while the parts were in Canada the dealer would not order it or install it for me as they were too busy. We had bought 5 BMW's from them, and if I did the work myself they would charge me the cost of the part.

I ended up scouting about 30 bonuses on that trip on my KTM . Bonuses for what became the 2013 Iron Butt Rally

Back to my BMW I bought and carried a new key sensor so i would not get stranded somewhere in Canada and have my bike refuse to start. Oh and the ESA failed after 6,000 km and BMW Canada had put a 5,000 km warranty on the ESA while the rest of the bike was unlimited for 3 years. The cam chain failed and my motor ate its valves. This was my second BMW that has suffered a cam chain failure.

My 990 has taken my wife and I safely and reliably all over Europe and i just picked up a 1290 SA-R, and as i posted earlier the dealer had to come take it away for an oil leak issue.

So what, The bike is awesome , it put a shit eating grin on my face riding home 35 miles. I know it is hot, I will buy the arrow exhaust and extinguish my nut fire, the suspension is sub par for me at 6'4" 240, plus we will ride it two up. The forks will go to Traxxion Dynamics, I will get another Penske shock for the rear and we will toodle down to Russell and get a really ugly and really comfy new seat built.

The bike will be superb when it is done, and we will ride happily off into the sunset.

I admire you guys who take these bikes on single track, but I am still puzzled as to why you bother to take such a lovely, powerfui and expensive motorcycle and voluntarily cross creeks on them.

Funny story, I pulled up beside a guy on a new GS on my 1290 heading home at a light. He said nice bike but why didn't you buy the GS it has ABS and has more horsepower.

I looked at him and said the new ones have ABS that even works when you are leaned over in corners and I didn't know a GS had 161 HP.

He said it doesn't.

I said, I guess I have more horsepower then . Nodded and rode off.

Part 4

Wednesday evening after the long weekend

Update.

I am sitting working on my email and an email comes in from my dealer @ 11:16 PM regarding my bike.

Hi Bill

We had opportunity to look at bike. It would appear that the rear valve cover o-ring gasket that surrounds the spark plug hole wasn't aligned
    properly when assembled. We replaced with new and have run through a few heat cycles. I will do my best to make time to road test bike Thursday.

Thank you for your patience, Troy

Once again I am stunned at the attention that is being paid to me by this dealership. It was a long holiday weekend in Canada and they would have had to juggle the shop work around to get to the bike so quickly.

Part 5

Further update, I go to pick up bike on the first Friday in July. Troy the owner and service manager wants to show me something on bike.

He takes me out and shows me where the dripping oil has discoloured the rear header pipe,

He says if the discoloration concerns me he will try and get KTM to replace the pipe under warranty.

Once I picked up my jaw, I told him I could live with the discoloured pipe.

Maple Ridge Motorsports, Maple Ridge , BC and they still have 2 unsold super adventures and at least one 1090.

PS I whacked the throttle in 4th at 110 KMH ..... are you kidding me .... Houston we have lift off

Update

So we went to hope and I did the Duffy in reverse as a break in ride and then did 2 whistler early morning jaunts to get my 1,000 km in and get the first service under my belt.

I have been too busy at work to get the Jesse bags installed but hope to get that done this weekend .

It really is a terrific bike and the iPad like instrument panel is a wonder.

I had the KTM test ride $500.00 accessory coupon a friend picked up for me at the Calgary demo days so I used it for the Travel pack which is a series of software upgrades.

I am ordering 2 spare keys. To accomplish this KTM needs a photo of your Key Code Card and your Driver's License before they will allow a Dealer to order you spare keys and it takes 3 weeks for the keys to arrive from Austria.
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    "The best handling bike with a 21" front wheel"............love the dash too
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    looks awesome but really I have never met a KTM I did not like
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Congrats on the purchase. Just want to vouch for MR Motorsport! The salesman in there (never did get his name) was a joy to talk to even thou I wasn't buying anything; if I'm ever going to buy a street bike again I will go to him. His prices are very competitive too.

PS - that bike looks real nice.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    great bike, even better story. I'd wish you happy travels, but you already know that's coming your way...
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Great bike, Bill. I've been eyeing those, really think that the 1290 Adventure 'S', should they come out with it in Canada, will be my next adult bike. Please keep the updates coming, interested to hear your impressions with more miles.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Congrats on the new bike. Can't believe it is 10 years since you got the 990.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    Great bike, Bill. I've been eyeing those, really think that the 1290 Adventure 'S', should they come out with it in Canada, will be my next adult bike. Please keep the updates coming, interested to hear your impressions with more miles.
    The 21/18 wheel combo caused me a lot of worry with the 990 when I bought it

I have grown to really like that combo and wish my Tenere had that wheel option

Don't shy away from the bike because of the 21/18 combo especially now that it is tubeless

OTOH Maple ridge has some smoking deals on the 2016 Touring model with the 19/17 set up

Bike
    ummm
    Just can't get the sight out of my head of a buddy's 990 exploding it's engine contents on Interstate 5 . Alas, a KTM, and a Ducati shall never enter my garage.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Just can't get the sight out of my head of a buddy's 990 exploding it's engine contents on Interstate 5 . Alas, a KTM, and a Ducati shall never enter my garage.
    I have had two engines explode

BMW 1150 GS Adventure via Cam Chain

BMW K1200GT via Cam Chain, and

ironically the Cam Chain on my Tenere was in the pre-detonation phase when Yamaha did the warranty work

My most reliable motorcycle my 990 and my Goldwing.

The used motor in my GT is a far better engine than the one it replaced. It pulls like a train, is not in the least buzzy, and doesn't make disturbingly BMW like noises.

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    My buddy has a 1090 R that he bought from an unfortunate soul that poured 1000's into it (every possible add-on/upgrade), but then had to sell. Buddy finds it's just too much bike and wants an Africa Twin. Even though I barely ride anymore, I wish I had the cash for that bike!*
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    My buddy has a 1090 R that he bought from an unfortunate soul that poured 1000's into it (every possible add-on/upgrade), but then had to sell. Buddy finds it's just too much bike and wants an Africa Twin. Even though I barely ride anymore, I wish I had the cash for that bike!*
    That would be a very nice bike, There are still some 1090's sitting around new so your pal will be selling against new bikes. The 1090 would be perfect for you

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...90-adventure-r