New vs used ex300 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New vs used ex300

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    My R3 just turned one year old with 10,000 klicks. I still freakin love riding the little bugger. I ride with a 300 ninja occasionally and I do have a slight edge on power. They are very similar bikes.
    The R3 is very smooth. Once its revving you would think its a 4 cylinders. The stock sound is intoxicating. Sounds like a wailing banchee when you get into it. Its pretty comfy on long rides compared to a full blown sportbike.
    You can't go wrong with either bike.

There's a few ktm 390s out there if you are into a single. They go pretty good. Not sure about parts and reliability. They will be trying to clear them out too.
    Last edited by oldgixxer; 07-30-2017 at 01:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Excellent info. I often take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt. *But I do find forums to be a great source of real world experience and knowledge. And didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I didn't read the Yamaha was bad handling just not as good handling as the kawi. But to be fair I have read a lot of positive things about them too.

My best bud who's gsxr750 is in my shop right now waiting on some parts, was by today encouraging me to wait for a private deal. *Even though he agreed that that is a smoking price on that new 300 from valley moto. So I'll camp on things anyways(gone for a few days) and let things settle in.*

Thanks again everyone for taking some time for a noob. I appreciate the input. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    Are you interested in Suzuki GW250(GW250F)? It's $3,499 + fees & tax

Suzuki GW250F $3,999: https://www.themilezero.com/collecti...-2015-gw250fl5
    Suzuki GW250: $3,499: https://www.themilezero.com/collecti...s/2013-gw250l3

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    Excellent info. I often take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt. *But I do find forums to be a great source of real world experience and knowledge.

"the best there is, is very often limited to the best you've ridden", therefore...

i have often found the exact opposite. Having grown up in competition i've been lucky enough to develop a real sense
    of what is really going on with a motorcycle and what is a con vs something that can be readily 'fixed' with aftermarket
    or few simple tweaks.

The forums have fallen prey to the same limited thinking of big magazine reviews, where folks start / end thinking with their
    wallets and very far from using actual brains. When comparing one vs the other they just go test one for a few minutes and
    somehow come up with a lifetime's worth of comments. Feel free to swap the word 'minutes' with 'hundreds of seat-miles' at will

I tend to sift through the bullshit which is often pages and pages of totally misaligned understanding based purely on inexperience.

I am sure you can imagine this would be exponentially greater on such a 'starter' bike..
    essentially, the target market for this type of bike has NO CLUE what the fvck is going on.

Of course if you've been off the bikes for a while most tend to take what is posted to be an end all and just because joe blow # 150
    decided to regurgitate verbatim right off the magazine shootout mixed with a few 'personal' opinion bits the entire thing is suddenly
    taken for actual TRUTH where the fact of the matter is probably somewhere in left field.

I've been told rather often what i have done with my R1 is bloody fvcking impossible, and yet me and a good 2 or four handfuls have
    managed to tame little gremlins and done so on the cheap that its absolutely laughable what most forum junkies consider IMPOSSIBLE..

ride your own ride, get around and ask lots of questions, dont be afraid to try old tricks.

every manufacturer has a target audience, if you dont fall between their fictional goal posts you are likely to be very critical of something
    which is COMMON to all BIKES, but because you've been off the game for a while, you have nothing to gauge what you 'feel' on the road.

every bike out there NEEDS to be setup for the actual rider, there is simply no arguing this.. In my
    personal experience Yamaha tends to have a much higher build quality than the other guys and they
    very simply build motorcycles with aftermarket in mind, meaning if its a tiny little problem they'll often
    put more thought into something way more complicated rather than please somebody who wont spend
    any money on their bikes.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 07-30-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    I just found this GW250 with only 30km for $3,299.

It's been listed under "used" section, if that's the case, it might get exempted from PDI/Freight fees.

http://www.daytonamotorsports.ca/def...OwnedInventory

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    *Ninja rider I don't think I'd consider one of those. This 300 is going to be a stepping stone for me I'm quite certain. Not saying I won't enjoy the heck out of it, but the end thought that my wife will end up riding it and I'll get into a 600ss. *And the 'looks' of the bike are important to her. I don't think she'd go for that.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Bacchus40. Interesting thoughts.*

Part of what I meant by getting good info from forums is posts/info like yours. Open my eyes through your experience. I do know what you mean about some forums though, a lot of chafe to sift through for the pearls.*

I will definetly have a look at the yamahas too now, and not be closed minded.*

Bike
    thank you for reading, I hope you dont take my post to be too negative on forums as most of what i've managed to figure out
    about bikes and how to mod for best results has come from making connections on the top forums. I kinda went on my soap-box
    a little there with my rant as what you posted regarding the R3 was taken DIRECTLY off a big magazine review.
    The word 'refined' when talking about this or that bike is not something a forum user would know the meaning of. I dont have the
    article right in front of me but i recognized it as soon as you posted. So yes take that commen with huge grain of salt, most
    people tend to stop reading at a certain point and completely miss the next paragraph where the pro rider flat out admits even
    with these x or y shortcomings they'd still take the Yamaha over another, and specially the kawi.

not that there's anything wrong with kawis, we're just talking about a slightly more forgiving target-market.. its a learner bike, nothing more.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 07-31-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    I certainly have researched as much as I could off the interwebs before posting here. So if I posted something verbatim as you say it came directly from my.........memory. *I've read many many reviews, enough it's all become a bit of a blur.

One thing that threw me with the r3 was the smaller tank. *For anyone who has an r3 what sort of real world range are you finding on a tank?

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    This has gone far enough. *Post pics of wife so we can better advise. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    I certainly have researched as much as I could off the interwebs before posting here. So if I posted something verbatim as you say it came directly from my.........memory. *I've read many many reviews, enough it's all become a bit of a blur.

One thing that threw me with the r3 was the smaller tank. *For anyone who has an r3 what sort of real world range are you finding on a tank?
    My Ninja 650's tank is smaller (16L) than Ninja 300 (17L).
    Initially, I thought I wouldn't notice much of difference since gas mileage is kind of similar as long as don't ride hard.

I do notice quite a bit of difference. I don't ride my Ninja 650 nearly as hard as Ninja 300, but I wish I had a bigger tank.

But hey, other sportbikes like KTM RC390 has 8.5L tank with 1.5L reserve (10L total) so compare to that, it's not too bad.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07
    if you are getting the bike due to ICBC (<400cc) or relatively cheap price for this class of bikes (CBR300. Ninja300. R3) but if for light weight flickable bike
    i would look at a Yamaha FZ07. I got a 2017 in April and love the thing. Close to a 300 in weight but loads more hp. An R3 is 373lb vs FZ07 at 403lb
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Bike
    2015 Honda CB300F
    I bought a 2015 Honda CB300F with 2000 km on it still under original warranty for $3500 last month.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Rider View Post

But hey, other sportbikes like KTM RC390 has 8.5L tank with 1.5L reserve (10L total) so compare to that, it's not too bad.
    THAT is terrible!!

, very possible indeed.. It happens often, and I spot 'em every time.

I stopped reading magazine reviews a while ago, still browse from time to time but i tend to shy away from big comparison pieces.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 08-20-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    I haven't faded off into the sunset......yet. I've been biding my time and watching and waiting. *Not pestering any sellers or wasting anyone's time. *And finally I'm going tomorrow to look at a '13 ninja300 for $2500 with 27,000km. So a little bit of K but a respectable price discount because of it IMO. Hopefully it all works out. Waiting and watching had me at times almost considering being an idiot and picking up a used 600super sport for cheap. But finally at 42 I have some patience and a tiny bit of self control so waited it out. I really want to get some seat time and experience again on something tame before stepping up. Also want my wife to be able to ride too and while she loves the looks/sound of a supersport I think one would scare her off riding or possibly worse, so wasn't going that route.*
    In this time I've had my buddies 03 gixxer 750 in my shop and have completely(almost) gone through it. All new plastic mounted, everything cleaned and inspected and most maintenance completed. Also diagnosed a bad fuel line to get it running proper(the reason the bike sat a couple of years and sold cheap I believe). *His bike was badly cared for in the past and had been really hacked at at different points in its life. We had lots of wiring and fastener messes to sort out. It's been fun for us we have both wrenched on vehicles together for the last 27 years. *We just pick away on weekends or evenings when it works for both us.*

Just wanted to update and not be a hit and run poster. If it all works out I'll be back and try to sort a picture or two. *