New vs used ex300 - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New vs used ex300

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    To conclude. I pulled the trigger. $2300 was the final price.*

I feel my patience paid off. One owner, 48 year old woman. No accidents, no drops, a barely noticeable mark in the front fender from rolling ahead with a wheel lock on and a couple little marks/scratches that I had to really search to find. 27,000km, she used it a decent amount. It needs a rear tire for sure right off the bat. I got to see it 'as is' because the owner is in Saskatchewan(moved there a year ago, it's a BC bike) and the bike had never been on the road this year. She had originally planned to keep it and either come back for it or ship it out but has decided to now get a different bike so her friend is selling it for her where it was stored. So it wasn't gone over or all shined up for a sale or anything. It's in desperate need of a full detailing and servicing.*

* Attachment 140977*

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    To conclude. I pulled the trigger. $2300 was the final price.*

I feel my patience paid off. One owner, 48 year old woman. No accidents, no drops, a barely noticeable mark in the front fender from rolling ahead with a wheel lock on and a couple little marks/scratches that I had to really search to find. 27,000km, she used it a decent amount. It needs a rear tire for sure right off the bat. I got to see it 'as is' because the owner is in Saskatchewan(moved there a year ago, it's a BC bike) and the bike had never been on the road this year. She had originally planned to keep it and either come back for it or ship it out but has decided to now get a different bike so her friend is selling it for her where it was stored. So it wasn't gone over or all shined up for a sale or anything. It's in desperate need of a full detailing and servicing.*

* Attachment 140977*
    Congrats! That's a good price! I can't see your attachment(picture?) though.

I found that www.fortnine.ca has the cheapest tire prices, period.
    I don't know about you but being an year-round rider, I go through tires quite a bit.

Might worth learning how to change it yourself?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Hmm. I may not be able to put a picture up if you can't upload directly? *I'm a bit of a dinosaur with computer tech. I've tried the rigomorale of signing up to a picture 'host' and I won't be treading down that path again. *It looks like all the others anyways. Bone stock green/black 'special edition'.*

Thanks for the tip on fortnine. I knew of them but wasn't sure on pricing so that will save me a bunch of looking around. I'll definetly change my own, although there's no year round riding for me. To cold and to much ice and snow.*

I'll be happy just to get some seat time this fall. *

I appreciate everyone's advice/comments. I had broadened my search to include the r3 but in the end this ninja300 was the bike that came up locally(1hr away) for a price that motivated me to buy. *

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Ninja Rider, or others. I'm curious if you have a favourite tire/size combo on this bike?

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Ninja Rider, or others. I'm curious if you have a favourite tire/size combo on this bike?
    Diablo Rosso II. What a difference over the stock tires, they're kinda the go-to for track use at least.*

I don't know offhand the size, just got whatever BK put on. Didn't stray from standard.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    I have Bridgestone S20 EVO...they now have S21 so I think I'm gonna try it out when my S20 EVO is done.

I have 150/60/17 rear and 110/70/17 front.
    Yes, I went 150 and people said it's gonna handle bad blah blah blah...but it's completely false.

The S20 Evo (150) handles so much better than the stock IRC 140.

The width has not much to do with in this case.

The stock IRC RX-07 has much flatter profile, which makes it hard to roll around & poor grip at lean due to lack of contact patch.
    If you look at the Bridgestone Hypersport S20 EVO, you can see how steep the oval shape is, which makes the bike lean much quicker & really good grip at steep lean angle due to increased contact patch.

Wider doesn't mean much, it all depends on how tire was engineered.

Some people might try to argue stock 4.0 inch rim is too small for 150 tires, but Bridgestone actually recommends 4.0 rim over 4.5 rim, so I had no reason to pick 140.

IRC RX-07

Bridgestone Hypersport S20 EVO

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Thanks for the input. And those photos and explanation. *Makes good sense.*

Somebody further back in this thread called me out for missing a bunch of the riding season. And while there's plenty left, now school is in and my workload increases in the fall. Such is life. Lol. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    So. I've been enjoying the heck out of this new to me ninja 300 and so has my wife. Almost having to draw straws to see who gets to go when.*

And then a 2015 Yamaha r3 came up locally for a good price ($2250!), I couldn't resist so now I have both in my shop. Just got it yesterday and put my first good spin on it yesterday evening. *

I'm pretty pleased to say the least. I had planned to get a bigger second bike and probably will at some point but I just couldn't resist the price on the r3. And now the wife and I can ride together too.

I've put a bit of time on my buddies gsxr750 and that has also helped me to decide to slow down on jumping right into a super sport. I have lots to learn and experience to gain before I can utilize that kind of a machine. I'm also second guessing the super sport riding position for my age(42). So I figure I'd stay 300 class for now until I've got more seat time and a better understanding of what I really may want to be upgrading too.

If anyone is interested I'll pipe back in after I've put some more time on both with my thoughts comparing the two. *

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    I think pretty fair to say that a side-to-side comparison would be of interest to many. Wish there'd been one when I was shopping last year!*

That's a pretty smoking deal on the R3, is it in good condition?*

Bike
    2010 Versys
    So. I've been enjoying the heck out of this new to me ninja 300 and so has my wife. Almost having to draw straws to see who gets to go when.*

And then a 2015 Yamaha r3 came up locally for a good price ($2250!), I couldn't resist so now I have both in my shop. Just got it yesterday and put my first good spin on it yesterday evening. *

I'm pretty pleased to say the least. I had planned to get a bigger second bike and probably will at some point but I just couldn't resist the price on the r3. And now the wife and I can ride together too.
    Double congrats and bonus that your wife can ride with you. Hwy 6 out to the Kootenays is such a nice road especially as the leaves start to change colour.

An idea; with all you money you saved think about getting some blue tooth radios. My wife and I love our Sennas. Just a lot less guesswork when you can talk to each other.
    'I ride, therefore I'm not here.'

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    I think pretty fair to say that a side-to-side comparison would be of interest to many. Wish there'd been one when I was shopping last year!*

That's a pretty smoking deal on the R3, is it in good condition?*
    It's in ok condition. It's been dropped but not bad, no cracks in anything, a couple of scuffs. But overall very clean. Fifteen thousand k.*

With the Yamaha the first thing I had to do, which I did today, was find out where's it was at with recalls. It's had the clutch bearing and oil pump drive recall done which is a somewhat common thing to look for on these bikes. 2700 in canada in 2015 were affected by the recall. It still has a outstanding recall for the fuel tank mount which apparently can stress the tank enough to cause a possible leak if left unattended. *So those parts are ordered.*

So far I really like the Yamaha to be honest. It feels like it has much more torque to me. Right off the bat the tech is nicer on the Yamaha with a gear indicator (not nescessary I know) and a temperature gauge. *And I 'feel' like it handles better. Lighter feeling and very confidence inspiring to lean in hard. Stock sound definetly goes to the Yamaha a lot more pleasing than the Kawasaki. The factory windscreen on the Yamaha is a lot nicer IMO than the Kawasaki. It's slightly tinted looking and is crystal clear whereas the Kawasaki we have is clear and seems dulled, could be difference in previous owners care but the Yamaha screen seems nicer. The mirrors are ever so slightly more useable on the Yamaha vs the Kawasaki.*

The Kawasaki is no slouch in the handling that's for sure and it has a 1000 more useable rpm. It has much nicer factory turn signals both front and rear, the overall appearance of the Kawasaki is more modern seeming IMO. *It has a larger and metal fuel tank. The Yamahas fuel tank is clad with plastic which is ok I guess. *But not how I'd have chosen to do it. The Kawasaki has black levers atleast which blend and seem a lot nicer than the aluminum levers on the Yamaha.*

Feeling pretty lucky this fall to have snagged these two bikes. **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    Double congrats and bonus that your wife can ride with you. Hwy 6 out to the Kootenays is such a nice road especially as the leaves start to change colour.

An idea; with all you money you saved think about getting some blue tooth radios. My wife and I love our Sennas. Just a lot less guesswork when you can talk to each other.
    Definetly looking at setting this up. I've used Senas in a work environment before and they were awesome. Gotta slow things down a little now though, maybe for Christmas or something. Hopefully.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Just thought I'd pop in to update this thread. Both bikes are still going strong. Sometimes feel the urge to upgrade but at this point it seems we'll finish the season out with these bikes. Going to be doing our first real 'longer' trip at the end of the month down to Winthrop from Vernon. So we'll see how these entry level bikes do with a longish day in the seat.

Haven't really done anything to them besides lube and adjust chains and put a new front tire on my bike, the r3. I referenced that video that *Ninja Rider linked in this thread, found it very handy.**

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    So. The illness is progressing at a steady pace. Definetly going to be upgrading but not rushing into anything. As has been evidenced in this thread I'm really inclined to the used market but not ruling out new. I'm wondering if there is any reference material on this site or others for people considering upgrading from a starter bike? *I'm really undecided about super sport, sport tourer, or a naked bike at this point. Most of my riding is fun highway cornering. Like hwy 6 east of Lumby constantly, its five minutes out of my driveway, awesome corners and the highway just gets better and better the further out you go. I would also use it to commute about 30min to work at times which is mixed highway/city but mostly highway. I really wish that there was a local to the okanagan track, adding this just in case somehow the right eyes are reading this. I see plenty of bikes around, lots of groups of riders on Hwy 6 constantly. It would be really nice to have a safe legal spot to have some fun and build skills.*

All info, suggestions, and general mockery welcomed. *

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    It would be really nice to have a safe legal spot to have some fun and build skills.
    Pitt Meadows Track Days.

And as for the upgrade, I'd be looking closely at something like the Ninja 650 or SV 650 (tons of the latter used). Enough power, not super-sport but plenty of fun. Naked is a personal preference thing IMHO.