Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New vs used ex300

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i

New vs used ex300

Hello,

First post here.

Im a 42 year old who's looking to get back into riding after about 15 years off. I'm looking at the 300ninjas as a bike to get me going on again and that my wife can ride(she's licensed and has had two different 500 ninjas) when I look to upgrade.

I live in in a blessed area, I'm just off highway six east of Vernon. So the Nakusp run is literally out my backdoor.

So my real question is on the pricing of the limited supply of 300ninjas that I've seen about. It would seem either pricing is coming down on the new ones or combined with kawi discounts they are priced close or often cheaper than used. New or used they are right around 4g. 4000-4500 new advertised price for 16's. For the new price to reach that mark I'm seeing kawi discounts stated anywhere from $850-$1400 claiming they end on July 31st.

So I'm curious if/when these kawi discounts are gone if they're actually gone or if I should expect to see even more discounting into the fall? I'm in no mad rush and my real plan is to be setup for next spring. I don't mind waiting it out if a better deal is to be had in the fall or winter. But if the discounts just end and there's no real further incentives to be had going into the fall maybe I should just jump and enjoy the rest of the summer/fall riding?

Its not that I'm broke or cheap, well ok maybe I'm cheap. At this point in my life part of the joy of 'toys' for me is getting a deal. So any advice or buying tips are appreciated. I'm feeling inclined to wait out the season and just watch the classifieds like a hawk with a fist full of cash in hand to act fast.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Justin

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Used prices of the little bikes can be quite outrageous, I was shopping for my 300 last year and found some asking more than new, especially with some useless cheap mod.*

With a new bike from a shop even with discounts you need to factor the GST and PDI, call up a shop they will give you an out-the-door price. I found that added around $1000 IIRC.

The discounts are not uncommon, especially for last years' bike. So don't be afraid of never getting deal again.

If you are motivated for a deal, then I'd say keep watching the used and snatch one up, the do come along especially if a few thousand KM or a bit of cosmetic damage doesn't scare you. Keep watching for a few weeks, you'll see the ones that aren't moving and the seller may be getting eager to deal.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Thanks for the feedback.*

private sales are now 12%pst though, so you're damned if you do(private) or damned if you dont(dealer) for the taxes. But the pdi and admin charges I know to look out for. I'm reluctant to buy anything new, I was just surprised at some of the used pricing. And then when I stopped to consider that most of these bikes are used to learn on and then people sell them to move up in class, it makes me concerned for the abuse factor.*

I have decided to slow my roll and sit it out and wait and watch. My gut tells me come fall to late fall ill be able to find a outstanding deal.*

I like the idea of the 300 but they are so new still that they seem to have a limited used selection. I am leary of going to a 250, as my last bike was a gs750 but I do want something my wife can ride. *I'm starting to look a bit at some of the 500ex or gs500 maybe?

Could I ask how you've found the performance of your 300 and if you've ridden other bikes to compare it to? *Thanks.*

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    I was on the same boat!

Long story short, I ended up buying brand new Ninja 300 since it was better deal.
    The used price for Ninja 300, CBR300R, Yamaha R3, GW250F, etc... can be a bit ridiculous.

I found out that if I were to buy a used Ninja 300 with 6,000kms, I would only save a few hundred bucks since factory clearance incentive was so good.

Also it will have 0km (I think mine had 1 or 2km) and comes with warranty.

Remember, if you buy a 6,000km bike, you will be getting tires, brake pads, chains and sprockets that are 6,000km old...and NO WARRANTY.
    After I factor in all the cost of components, it simply wasn't worth buying used.

Are you quite determined on Ninja 300?
    Looks like Holeshot is selling CBR300RA (ABS version) SE for $3,499 plus fees http://www.holeshotracing.ca/

Burnaby Kawasaki has KRT Ninja 300 ABS but for $4,499 plus fees.
    http://www.burnabykawasaki.com/motor...76ad199dfc.htm
    and this one is $4,299 http://www.burnabykawasaki.com/motor...76dc3f2a8e.htm

If you look around, I'm sure you can find more deals.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    Could I ask how you've found the performance of your 300 and if you've ridden other bikes to compare it to? *Thanks.*
    Right forgot the 12%... that was a surprise at the Autoplan.*

It's my fourth bike (riding for around 15 years) previous were 600 and 750 sport-ish bikes, the longest on a VFR 750. The 300 is definitely thin in the power area, and at 6'2" I find it a touch cramped. But it's super light, fun to ride, and far newer than my previous bikes; this whole ABS and EFI thing is magic. I bought it because I wasn't doing long trips anymore (for now) and wanted to do more track days, so it was a better choice than my almost-classic VFR.

It is doing about 7,000RPM at highway speeds, and there isn't much in the tank for passing. I know people travel on these but it wouldn't be my choice for that. But for track and bombing around town, it's great. Inexpensive to run, and you can redline it in first and second without getting impounded. And as you have found, good resale value. So as a bike to get back into riding with, it's a responsible choice.*

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Rider View Post
    Remember, if you buy a 6,000km bike, you will be getting tires, brake pads, chains and sprockets that are 6,000km old...and NO WARRANTY.
    After I factor in all the cost of components, it simply wasn't worth buying used. *
    Mine had 8,000km on it and extended warranty was transferrable. Basically new. Previous bike had over 90,000km and still ran fantastic. Don't let mileage scare you.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    There was a Yamaha R3 in Merritt for sale a couple weeks ago for 4 grand. 0 miles. I guess the guy who bought it promptly lost his drivers license according to the ad.
    Valley MotoSports in Kelowna is very easy to deal with and their out-the-door prices are hard to beat.
    Lots of great deals out there.

It sounds like you are just a tire kicker/lowballer ("I'm feeling inclined to wait out the season"). So have your fun shopping and pissing people off when you coulda been riding.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    I have a 2017 Ninja 650, which is a brand new model, much better handling and much lighter than previous 2016 model.
    Having said that, even with the 2017 Ninja 650, right off the bat you will notice that it handles A LOT WORSE than Ninja 300.

The Ninja 300 is more satisfying to ride if you want to rev it hard, since it revs higher and you can actually use all that power. I personally call Ninja 300 a Mazda Miata of motorcycle.
    If you rev the Ninja 650, sure it's faster on the straight line but it's not nearly as same as Ninja 300 with higher redline.

Maybe wait for the 2018 Ninja 400? It was caught in the states testing/shooting commercial, etc.
    400cc will still fall in ICBC's cheap insurance bracket.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    There was a Yamaha R3 in Merritt for sale a couple weeks ago for 4 grand. 0 miles. I guess the guy who bought it promptly lost his drivers license according to the ad.
    Valley MotoSports in Kelowna is very easy to deal with and their out-the-door prices are hard to beat.
    Lots of great deals out there.

It sounds like you are just a tire kicker/lowballer ("I'm feeling inclined to wait out the season"). So have your fun shopping and pissing people off when you coulda been riding.
    What a stupid thing to say. The only person I've pissed off in my 'shopping around' is you apparently. I don't call people unless I'm serious. But thanks for piping in with your assumptions.

Valley moto is where I would go if I spring new I think. They have a 16' on their website listed for $4499 team racing abs edition. But see I know that from 'shopping around' not from wasting anyone's time.*

Tire kicker lol. *Im a deal snagger, not a lowballer. If you had bought and sold as many vehicles, bikes, toys as I have over my life you'd know the difference. It's not my fault if people make stupid decisions that force them into selling things cheap.* Would you not agree that the best deals to be had on bikes are at the end of the season, just like every other seasonal item?
    Last edited by Squisher; 07-28-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    I have a 2017 Ninja 650, which is a brand new model, much better handling and much lighter than previous 2016 model.
    Having said that, even with the 2017 Ninja 650, right off the bat you will notice that it handles A LOT WORSE than Ninja 300.

The Ninja 300 is more satisfying to ride if you want to rev it hard, since it revs higher and you can actually use all that power. I personally call Ninja 300 a Mazda Miata of motorcycle.
    If you rev the Ninja 650, sure it's faster on the straight line but it's not nearly as same as Ninja 300 with higher redline.

Maybe wait for the 2018 Ninja 400? It was caught in the states testing/shooting commercial, etc.
    400cc will still fall in ICBC's cheap insurance bracket.

Is that 400 still just a sleeved down version of the 650 or is it something new for 18? *I had read about the 400 being the exact same bike as the 650 just sleeved down to 400 and that it was not very impressive. I think I'd prefer the 300 if it's a lot lighter. Also looking to this bike as a bit of a stepping stone for myself and then it'll become my wife's. *So the lighter the better for her although as I said she has had two 500ninjas. My last bike was a gs750 and my goal is to step up to a super sport, probably a 600. Just want to get back in the saddle in a smart manner and work on some riding skill instead of just throttle cracking so one of these little guys seemed like it'll fit the bill and then workout fantastic for my wife. by all reports I've heard the 300ninja is the bike in that class.*

I like the idea of the 300ninjas over the cbr300, hadn't heard of a lot of love for those bikes power wise. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    I just re-read your post and looks like you're not really planning to ride til 2018 spring.
    I will seriously wait til motorcycle sales go downhill. It's July and right in the middle of riding season. I think the best time to shop around for you is October and later, when motorcycle sales are bad and dealerships are eager to get rid of previous year models.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    Is that 400 still just a sleeved down version of the 650 or is it something new for 18? *I had read about the 400 being the exact same bike as the 650 just sleeved down to 400 and that it was not very impressive. I think I'd prefer the 300 if it's a lot lighter. Also looking to this bike as a bit of a stepping stone for myself and then it'll become my wife's. *So the lighter the better for her although as I said she has had two 500ninjas. My last bike was a gs750 and my goal is to step up to a super sport, probably a 600. Just want to get back in the saddle in a smart manner and work on some riding skill instead of just throttle cracking so one of these little guys seemed like it'll fit the bill and then workout fantastic for my wife. by all reports I've heard the 300ninja is the bike in that class.*

I like the idea of the 300ninjas over the cbr300, hadn't heard of a lot of love for those bikes power wise. *
    This is not a sleeved down Ninja 650.

Ninja 400 existed in Asia, Europe and Canada (not USA). It was IDENTICAL to Ninja 650 (USA/Canada model) but sleeved down engine.

The 2017 Ninja 650 just came out, as you can see, that does not even look close to Ninja 650.

It will be a Ninja 300 replacement, it will be a good KTM RC390 rival.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    Right forgot the 12%... that was a surprise at the Autoplan.*

It's my fourth bike (riding for around 15 years) previous were 600 and 750 sport-ish bikes, the longest on a VFR 750. The 300 is definitely thin in the power area, and at 6'2" I find it a touch cramped. But it's super light, fun to ride, and far newer than my previous bikes; this whole ABS and EFI thing is magic. I bought it because I wasn't doing long trips anymore (for now) and wanted to do more track days, so it was a better choice than my almost-classic VFR.

It is doing about 7,000RPM at highway speeds, and there isn't much in the tank for passing. I know people travel on these but it wouldn't be my choice for that. But for track and bombing around town, it's great. Inexpensive to run, and you can redline it in first and second without getting impounded. And as you have found, good resale value. So as a bike to get back into riding with, it's a responsible choice.*

Mine had 8,000km on it and extended warranty was transferrable. Basically new. Previous bike had over 90,000km and still ran fantastic. Don't let mileage scare you.*
    Thanks for the thoughts/background. I shouldn't let the mileage scare me at all really. I've wrenched my whole life and have a nice fully equipped heated shop at home so even if something does go south I'm sure I'll have no issue fixing it. Just as others have said if I'm kind of within $500 or so of new I'd almost rather go that route.*

Despite what some may think of the practice I am going to wait it out and research and make my short lists and watch. And then when I find something I'm willing to actually lay down hard earned cash for, that's when I'll kick some tires and bug people. I'm big on classifieds and deal shopping. *For some it's not worth the effort or time but I enjoy it as part of the process. So it works for me. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    This is not a sleeved down Ninja 650.

Ninja 400 existed in Asia, Europe and Canada (not USA). It was IDENTICAL to Ninja 650 (USA/Canada model) but sleeved down engine.

The 2017 Ninja 650 just came out, as you can see, that does not even look close to Ninja 650.

It will be a Ninja 300 replacement, it will be a good KTM RC390 rival.
    Ahhh I see now. Interesting. Thanks for the heads up! *

And I appreciate your info/comments. This is what I was hoping for. Real world info from local experienced people.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Do you happen to know any info on when they might release that bike or by what dates they usually do?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    I think for your wife CBR300R might be better choice.
    Have you ever compared the weight of Ninja 300 to CBR300R?

The CBR300R is still a nice bike, everyone says it's MUCH BETTER than the CBR250R.
    CBR weighs 359 lbs, and Ninja 300 weighs 381 lbs...and you already mentioned that lighter the better.

The only reason I took Ninja 300 was because I was looking for Kawasaki and a little bit more top end power. But CBR300R has better low-end torque so it's better for the city ride.

Since you're only looking for something to practice, I think CBR300R may serve the purpose better, especially for the price. There's nothing CBR300R can't teach than Ninja 300.
    If your wife ever upgrade to SV650 for example, I don't think her riding experience is going to be more dangerous just because her previous bike was CBR300R, not Ninja 300.

Sometimes watching online review might help too.