Daylight Savings Time, Yes or No?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Time, Yes or No?

Bike
    ummm

Daylight Savings Time, Yes or No?

Of course I have no problem altering my day by an hour twice a year. But I guess a small but growing segment are having difficulty coping.

So,,, If we were to lock into one 'time phase', which one, the summer time phase or the winter one? If we lock into the summer time schedule, that means in the winter we north of the 49th parallel can expect it to be dark until 9:15am. If we lock into the winter time schedule, we can expect sunrise at 3:45am in the morning.

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    I would pick summer because winter sucks regardless of the time
    Its hard changing the clocks on all my bikes and truck man
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    It would need to be the standard time, or children would be walking to school in the dark.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post
    It would need to be the standard time, or children would be walking to school in the dark.
    LOL I thought kids were not allowed to walk to school anymore but must be driven at super high speed in USV by overpriced coffee drinking moms & nannys?
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    3:45am sunrise isn't much different than 4:45am. I'd say lock in for winter "standard" time. It's a needless exercise now.

Bike
    04 SV650
    It would have to be standard time, not because of the children, but because other countries that dont do the time change use it. I would be all for not switching back and forth any more. Reason for switching has become old and useless anyways.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    It would have to be standard time, not because of the children, but because other countries that dont do the time change use it. I would be all for not switching back and forth any more. Reason for switching has become old and useless anyways.
    I tend to agree with the one standard time, leave it up to the employers to adjust working hours to give their employees a better chance at enjoying the summer daylight hours.
    They can adjust it at 15 min. a crack so they don't have bunch of zombies for the first week of the switch.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    DST is something most folks maintaining a residential building security system have some SERIOUS difficulty dealing with.

half the clients i come across have their surveillance system one hour off the entire year, cause who the heck knows how to operate a DVR right? lol
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    DST is something most folks maintaining a residential building security system have some SERIOUS difficulty dealing with.
    i'm willing to bet you've had more than one system go offline because half of it's network used DST, and other devices did not, causing the network to fail.

Bike
    ZX14
    What's the point any more? I wish it didn't occur at all.

It's gotten to the point over the past few years where itr actually effects me when it takes place, and that sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    i'm willing to bet you've had more than one system go offline because half of it's network used DST, and other devices did not, causing the network to fail.
    no network failures due to time adjustment. Most of the systems I service although on a network
    are also capable of 'stand alone' mode.

The biggest issues we encounter is people *thinking the entire system is offline only because live
    transaction updates are 1 hour behind and you gotta catch up to client time b4 you see 'em.

when it comes to rcmp it is a big PITA as access control systems are most often syncronized where
    surveillance cameras will be off by x amount of minutes or as in dst 's case an entire hour or more.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    It's gotten to the point over the past few years where itr actually effects me when it takes place, and that sucks.

getting old sucks yeh. im a wreck for at least a week when we lose an hour..
    Last edited by bacchus40; 10-04-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    I don't find the change over at all inconvenient, I'm up and wide awake well over an hour before I need to leave for work on most days.

Having an extra hour of sunlight in the summer dst is nice.

I guess I'm solar powered in this respect. I'd rather have an extra hour of the sun while I'm awake.

I'd be all for tossing the clock out the window and running our lives by the sun.

Ride safe folks.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post
    I don't find the change over at all inconvenient, I'm up and wide awake well over an hour before I need to leave for work on most days.

Having an extra hour of sunlight in the summer dst is nice.

I guess I'm solar powered in this respect. I'd rather have an extra hour of the sun while I'm awake.

I'd be all for tossing the clock out the window and running our lives by the sun.

Exactly. It's about daylight saving, having the most sunlight available to do stuff. Unless your a night owl person, or some kind of human mole, I cannot see why a time change would bother anyone. It must be sheer torture when ever they would get on a plane and fly through a time change.

I like sitting on the back deck in the summer until 9:45, but I don't like the possibility to have sunrise at 3:45 am in the summer.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I like sitting on the back deck in the summer until 9:45, but I don't like the possibility to have sunrise at 3:45 am in the summer.
    on this i can agree fer damn sure.. theres a reason we all put up with the shitty week

Bike
    Honda
    LOL ...... this thread if materialized in real life would be a bunch of old retired guys around a table at Tim Hortons!

I say get rid of one or the other, but nowadays you have special interest groups bleating about how it is going to effect their bottom line. The golfing and BBQ shills were saying how much it will take out of their pocket and I'm sure there are others who will complain in the other direction.

In a day and age where every opinion has to be listened to, give equal merit and hugs at the end ....... I can see several tax payer funded commissions to investigate in order to come up with no change from what we have right now.

Now I gotta go hit the head, this coffee goes right thru me, hold me seat.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.