Daylight Savings Time, Yes or No? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Time, Yes or No?

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    LOL ...... this thread if materialized in real life would be a bunch of old retired guys around a table at Tim Hortons!

I say get rid of one or the other, but nowadays you have special interest groups bleating about how it is going to effect their bottom line. The golfing and BBQ shills were saying how much it will take out of their pocket and I'm sure there are others who will complain in the other direction.

In a day and age where every opinion has to be listened to, give equal merit and hugs at the end ....... I can see several tax payer funded commissions to investigate in order to come up with no change from what we have right now.

Now I gotta go hit the head, this coffee goes right thru me, hold me seat.
    that is the past as now Comrade Horgan would guide BC through such a complex decision
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    I can see several tax payer funded commissions to investigate in order to come up with no change from what we have right now.

Now I gotta go hit the head, this coffee goes right thru me, hold me seat.
    coffee? gezus you are getting old.. RED TRUCK LAGER for me please

but I agree with the above.. they'll sped a good bucket of cash and come up with no answers, no changes
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    ummm
    As we enter into another time window of armageddon doom, moving the clocks forward 1 hour, news reports of increased crashes, strokes, heart attacks, work injuries, even increased jail time issued by court judges, I really have to wonder how people deal with international air travel, getting up extra early to go skiing, a long early start on the motorbike, early shift at work, party late into the night, etc, etc???? This is another classic example of a minority of the population, loud by nature, pressing an issue to the point that government, media, think it's a majority wish. Heck, if they end up pushing this through, I could care less, I've got better things to march on the streets for. But if it does go through, I do think the extreme enjoyment of a long summer after work walks/runs/motorcycle rides are too good to miss out on, I hope that there would be a permanent lock on daylight savings time rather than standard time.

Bike
    Honda
    I'm ok with it today ....... because I'll be getting off work an hour early tonight!
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    As we enter into another time window of armageddon doom, moving the clocks forward 1 hour, news reports of increased crashes, strokes, heart attacks, work injuries, even increased jail time issued by court judges, I really have to wonder how people deal with international air travel, getting up extra early to go skiing, a long early start on the motorbike, early shift at work, party late into the night, etc, etc???? This is another classic example of a minority of the population, loud by nature, pressing an issue to the point that government, media, think it's a majority wish. Heck, if they end up pushing this through, I could care less, I've got better things to march on the streets for. But if it does go through, I do think the extreme enjoyment of a long summer after work walks/runs/motorcycle rides are too good to miss out on, I hope that there would be a permanent lock on daylight savings time rather than standard time.
    After 20 years in a career with continually variable schedules, including over night work or starting in the wee hours of the morning, plus the sleep deprivation experiment of having kids, I am also skeptical of the doom-and-gloom "statistics" regarding the damage caused by the time change. It's only an hour... and it happens on the weekend.

Bike
    RSV4
    Doesn't make sense to me.. maybe 100 yrs ago it did...

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    After 20 years in a career with continually variable schedules, including over night work or starting in the wee hours of the morning, plus the sleep deprivation experiment of having kids, I am also skeptical of the doom-and-gloom "statistics" regarding the damage caused by the time change. It's only an hour... and it happens on the weekend.
    I agree with that as well ....... if an hour time change messes you up that much, you have serious issues. I believe that people just grab on to anything they can to make an excuse for their screw-ups.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    i make my own schedule at work.. but the hour back/forward always messes me up. It does! It causes random havoc with some of our systems.
    takes me a couple of weeks to get with the program again, stress runs high with clients as well, i see it on emails that go back / forth.

So be it, i didnt care much either way back in the day BUT. Where the fvck did March go? i cant remember, i was in a haze.

i see absolutely no reason to keep this shit-show going.. fvcks us up with tech support as they're back east.

you have serious issues.
    serious issues getting proper sleep, yes!! i'd be happy if it just disappeared
    Last edited by bacchus40; 04-02-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    As a shift worker rotating between days, afternoons, and graveyards and on weekends sometimes working a graveyard and a afternoon in the same weekend. I lol at people whining about the one hour time change. I like the time change. Besides work I have a farm so do lots outside and the time change works with the sun/seasons.*

Bike
    i've never heard so many guys bragging about 'shift work'..

no thanks, nope.. cant make me

Bike
    Honda
    For the most part of my working life I have worked a 4 on/4 off shift. That's two 11.5 or 12 hr day shifts starting around 6 or 7 AM. Then after the second day shift, off until the next afternoon or evening, starting between 4 and 7 PM. Two night shifts and off for 4. The start times varied from one career path to the next.

That works out to 26 weeks of work per yr. If you're following along on the math, that equals 26 weeks off per year. Take 45 hrs out of the leave bank, that is 12 days off in a row. Take another 45 hrs, that's 22 days off. I checked my leave bank just the other day. The amount of time off I had last year was incredible, surprising even me. And seeing that I carried over 275 hrs, had another 200 thrown in on April 1 ..... I'll take that 4 on/4 off shift any day of the week. However, the tricky part at my job is much the same at everyone's job, scheduling that time off. There aren't always bodies to fill the position, so you don't get the time. At one point I had over 1100 hrs of banked vacation leave to take and I know plenty of people with even more. These folks end up retiring and booking off the last 8 to 14 months of work before the actual retirement check starts showing up.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Similar story for me. I work two 12's on the weekend and get 30hrs for them(ot) all sunday. So then I work five other eight HR weekday shifts in every four week block to top me up to 40hrs a week. Meaning I can work one four day week and three three day weeks and make 40hrs a week or I can work straight through a weekend, week, and the following weekend and then only work two days a week for the following three and still make my 40hrs. Entirely up to me when/how I work the extra shifts. Also stats are worth 12 or 18hrs for me depending on when they fall. Is that enough bragging for yah?

Yah it's rough shift work. But not nearly as rough as that one HR time change twice a year. That's a killer! *

I've owned my own business for decades in the past and set my own hrs, straight days always. I am very satisfied with having sold out and just being a lowly worker bee now. I work at a plywood plant, union. It's a pretty gravy job to me.*

Bike
    Honda
    My daughter was a small business owner in Edmonton, windows and doors supplier to the building trades. Decent money, around what I make, but holy schnikey ..... the hours! I'm very happy to have small business owners doing their thing and will support them when I can ...... but there is no way I could do that work. That's rough work.

Squisher, sounds like decent work hours for you, that's a good return on the time spent. Three cheers for unionized workplaces!

Bike
    These folks end up retiring and booking off the last 8 to 14 months of work before the actual retirement check starts showing up.
    most days at work the heaviest burden i carry is having to choose between a phillips and a robertson screw-driver.. i only take a week off work most years
    but I do have the option to take the time off in other years.. i truly enjoy having a schedule i can count in. and for the most part I make the decision
    on when things get done.

I do think i would enjoy a four day on, four day off type of schedule but not if it means working 11 to 12 hour days when on shift.. insanity.

if i work those kinds of hours i get over time, but then i sometimes will make it an easier day following
    to recoup energy.. it works itself out in the wash and i still make a little extra couple of bucks here / there.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    A lot of people can't hack long shifts at my workplace, which is how/why I got my weekend posting . I work friday midnight to sat noon and then Sunday noon to midnight. Reverse 12's. I'm kind of old school in my work mentality. I don't use any form of entertainment at work. Radio, Bluetooth, nothing. My phone sits in the lunchroom. I focus on my job/machine i run and listen to it. After many many years of running my own business I find this mill work very relaxing, meditative almost. My stress level is quite low compared to when I did my own thing. *