Vancouver to Calgary trip advice

Thread: Vancouver to Calgary trip advice

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Kawasaki ZX7R 1998

Vancouver to Calgary trip advice

Hi,

I am new to this forum but looking for advice. Myself and a friend are coming over from the UK next July and plan on hiring bikes to travel from Vancouver to Calgary. Monday to Saturday, 5 night trip.

Will probably hire a Harley from "eaglerider.com" as they have one way drop off's but only seem to do Harleys, also I reckon if I'm on that side of the pond it would be rude not to use a Harley. (Still got to decide which one though as I have no experience of them).

What I need to find out is the best route for this journey? We would like to do a day fishing en-route and I wouldnt mind doing a spot of mountain biking (not full on downhill as I dont bounce anymore).

After Calgary, I'm hiring an RV for 10 days with the family to go around the Rockies so its not important to see everything on the bike trip. Plus i'll have a few days in Vancouver itself.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Neil

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    not sure about fishing but this would be a decent ride to Calgary

https://goo.gl/maps/9uDZLgJgboQ2
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Stretching a drive to Calgary into 5 days would be an impressive feat. That's a one-day-er, really....two if you get adventurous. I'd sooner go south, do some riding across Washington, Idaho, Montana, then head up to Calgary on the 5th day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Been there, Wrecked that! Array CrashTested's Avatar
    Bike
    - unknown
    BC Sportbikes, not Half Assed Harleys .

That said, a 5 day trip could be stretched out to cover a lot of highway(s) and make for a great trip.
    There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old, bold bikers.
    BCSB Member #XXXX

2 Wheeled History:
    '02 F4i (RIP, damn guardrail)

'87 TZR 250 (piston ate itself)
    '99 SV650s (RIP, damn Jeep)
    '79 250XR
    '81 500XT

Bike
    Honda
    Five days is a massive amount of time. Over here, Vancouver to Calgary is really just a one day ride.

Forget the friggin' Harleys. You'll be pissed at yourself for wasting the money 2 hrs into your trip.

These guys are an option ..... https://vancouver.cyclebc.ca/motorcycles

But remember this ....... 41 km/hr over the posted*speed limit will have your*ride impounded for
    7 days; rental, tourist or local. *You can still have fun,*just not really fast fun. *But if you take the
    Harley choice, you'll have to work hard to do that on the open road.

You could try one of these routes, I've included a link to give you an idea. The Inside Passage is a
    gorgeous 22 hr ferry ride that shows off the coast. Once you hit the ground*in Prince Rupert you'll
    be on the doorstep to the best salmon and halibut fishing in the country.

No*worries about getting lost as you go east, there is only the one highway. A days ride gets you
    to Prince George. Head south through the Caribou and Chilcotin. You could then turn right just north
    of Cache Creek and take the Duffy Lake road through to Whistler. Option B is to continue south through
    the Fraser Canyon and return the bikes before catching a $100 flight to Calgary.
    https://www.bcferriesvacations.com/p...nssecondarynav

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Kawasaki ZX7R 1998
    I really like this idea, Prince Rupert looks ideal for the fishing and the area isnt somewhere I would have gone to normally. Plus its a decent ride back.

Will look at the Harleys again, I think your right, it would be a good idea at the time but crap in reality.

Could consider dropping down into Washington. Always had the impression that the roads in the US didnt have any bends though so would be fairly dull?

Thanks for all the ideas though.

Bike
    Honda
    Wait for it .......... most guys on here could double for being Washington State tourism board members. Lots of people like to ride there because they don't have the 40 over impound laws we do in BC. However, they do have big fines and possible jail time for big speeds ....... roll the dice and take your chances. Say what you want about the Americans and their world view ....... but they sure can lay down decent pavement with wonderful corners.

Here's a common day trip through the US. Hwy 20 crosses over the North Cascades to Winthrop. I've included tasty bits at the beginning, after you cross the border along North and South Pass Roads. This is a popular riding route as it avoids the drone through flatlands. Google won't allow me to continue the map past Marblemount, most likely due to the fact that Hwy 20 is closed in the winter due to extreme snowfalls and the consistent avalanche hazards. Here is the traditional Opening of the Cascades thread. If the pics show up, it will give you an idea of the snow clearing challenges.

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ascades+reopen

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Vanco...!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Here is the route after Winthrop. It all depends on the amount of KM you feel comfortable doing per day. I went with a counter-clockwise route to give a days rest on the journey after a couple of big mile days and a fishing day. It is a long loop and you'll see a ton of BC on the route, but doable ....... just really busy.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Winth...7291!3e0?hl=en

****EDIT****

The Vancouver to Quilchena is an easy one day ride. There is a cool hotel there to stay at, just book early. Quilchena to Prince Rupert can be a day trip too, just a long one. Once you clear 100 Mile House the road won't give you any more exciting twisties, but you can take the time to sightsee as you travel through grasslands, boreal forest, a few mountain ranges and into the coastal rain forest. A day to go fishing (be perpared to make arrangements to ship your fish somehwere), then hop on the ferry for a restful cruise down the inside passage. Another day to travel down Vancouver Island and you have a story that should buy pints down at the pub all winter long.
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 11-30-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    RC
    Speaking of straight roads, this is what you'll see in Alberta. Old Coach road exiting Calgary to be specific.

Last edited by Danke; 11-30-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    Honda
    Old Coach turns nice once you get between Camore and Banff, doesn't it?

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    Old Coach turns nice once you get between Camore and Banff, doesn't it?
    Right around Golden.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Kawasaki ZX7R 1998
    When I put Quilchena to Prince Rupert into google it says its a 15hr drive. Do you think its correct?

Considering the bloke I'm going with is commonly known as Captain Slow it could take us a while! You could give him a Fireblade and there would still be an 'old dear' on a mobility scooter trying to overtake him.

That route is the winner at the moment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    The Vancouver to Quilchena is an easy one day ride. There is a cool hotel there to stay at, just book early. Quilchena to Prince Rupert can be a day trip too, just a long one. Once you clear 100 Mile House the road won't give you any more exciting twisties, but you can take the time to sightsee as you travel through grasslands, boreal forest, a few mountain ranges and into the coastal rain forest. A day to go fishing (be perpared to make arrangements to ship your fish somehwere), then hop on the ferry for a restful cruise down the inside passage. Another day to travel down Vancouver Island and you have a story that should buy pints down at the pub all winter long.
    Last edited by neilp9876; 12-01-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Bike
    Honda
    I lived in Rupert for 23 years. Whenever it was time to get some vacation time in, you made the drive non-stop. Fifteen hours sounds about right.

You may be able to carve some time off by turning left just south of Kamloops, heading through Savona and then straight north on Hwy 97. It's a busier road but still not crazy. And the views remain much the same.

You could try adding extra espresso shots to Captain Slows morning coffee ...... other than that, we have all been there.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Kawasaki ZX7R 1998
    Followed your advice and will travel down into Washington and loop back up to Canada and Vancouver. I don't think we are used to the distances you guys seem to see as normal so will be aiming for about 4 hours a day on the bikes which gives us plenty of time to be tourists.

So a couple of questions...
    1. How many traffic cops are we likely to encounter in both Canada and the States? Over here you will rarely see one nowadays, speeding is controlled by cameras generally.
    2. Which bike?
    Looking at https://vancouver.cyclebc.ca/motorcycles I am tempted by the v-strom but open to suggestions. I guess if the chances of getting pulled for speeding are high then I may get something slower.

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by neilp9876 View Post
    Followed your advice and will travel down into Washington and loop back up to Canada and Vancouver. I don't think we are used to the distances you guys seem to see as normal so will be aiming for about 4 hours a day on the bikes which gives us plenty of time to be tourists.

So a couple of questions...
    1. How many traffic cops are we likely to encounter in both Canada and the States? Over here you will rarely see one nowadays, speeding is controlled by cameras generally.
    2. Which bike?
    Looking at https://vancouver.cyclebc.ca/motorcycles I am tempted by the v-strom but open to suggestions. I guess if the chances of getting pulled for speeding are high then I may get something slower.
    On a 4 hour ride in the middle of the week you might not see any police. This place is big! Weekends and long weekends you'll see a lot more enforcement on the travel days.

If it was me I'd do the Africa Twin but I'm biased.

Bike
    Honda
    The Africa Twin would be my choice as well, but that is because I am extremely intelligent and good looking .........

As Danke says, there is a better chance of running into John Law on the weekends, especially in the states it seems.

In Canada, it can be a toss up but as mentioned earlier ......... 41 km/hr over the limit will get you impounded in BC.
    Doesn't matter where you are, if you're on vacation or on a rental. Impounded then and there and you'll be transported
    to the nearest town in order to find your way. So don't pick the KTM 1190 ......... an overloaded KLR should keep you
    closer to non-impound speeds.

Weekdays will also see less traffic on the roads.