Thread: F4i owners cam chain tensioner

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    The automatic tensioner that comes with the bike is essentially:
    - a coil spring that turns a screw
    - the screw extends a piston
    - the piston pushes the chain guide against the chain

The spring gets weak after a while and does not apply enough pressure. When it starts to go bad, you get a light buzzing sound just above 5,000 rpm. As it gets worse, the buzz gets louder and over a wider rpm range. When it gets really bad, it sounds like your bike is about to fall apart.

The manual tensioner is just a bolt that presses on the chain guide. You tighten the bolt every 15,000 km or so. There is a lock nut to hold it in place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

price diff? How can they possibly charge $100 for a part that is that simple...

ABSURD I TELL YOU ABSURD...

Bike
    CBR600 F4
    The manual tensioners are something like $65. The savings can add up as it will never wear out, unlike the automatic tensioners.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    09'R1
    Motorcycle Man - over time do you have to re-adjust the manual tensioner?
    What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.

Bike
    CBR600 F4
    Yes, every 15,000 km or so.

Been riding since 1985 Array philtag6000's Avatar
    Bike
    Coming soon
    That looks like something easie to install, just
    2 bolts on the side, thats it?
    Where is the CCT located on the F4i?
    History of bikes:

(1) '85 Honda Elite 150cc
    (2) '84 Honda Interceptor 500cc
    (3) '89 Kawasaki Ninja 600cc
    (4) '89 Honda Hurricane 600cc
    (5) '00 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
    (6) '02 Honda CBR600F4i
    (7) '04 Suzuki Burgman 400cc

Bike
    09'R1
    I'll have to check my service manual, but I hear it can be done an easy or a hard way. The hard way is most likely the best way.
    What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    I suspect I have this problem as well but I think it can wait until next season.

Here is a site that explains how to do it step-by-step and with illustrations. It's for an F4 so I'm not sure if it's any different for an F4i
    http://www.tinman.dsl.pipex.com/2000...structions.htm

If anyone tries, let me know how it went.

moseley
    Same thing happend to mine at 3600km, warranty will replace it but it will still happen again unless its changed to manual tensioner

Bike
    1KRR
    who can do the manaul swap for me?
    to chain tensioner and what shop
    do any f4i riders got it?
    ride to live not to die

Lowside.ca
    I put my manual CCT lifter in at about 9000km after going through 3 stock ones. Piece of cake to put in and adjust. Dnt waste your time with the stock ones unless you are still covered by warranty.

Got mine from NRC Racing out of Ontario.

moseley
    go to imperial talk to Gord i think he has a manual tensioner for an f4i lying around there.

Bike
    RSV4
    is this for all 2001 - 2003 f4i ???

moseley
    yup

What we play is life. Array RiceRocket's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Honda VFR
    This is a common problem with all CBR's. I had this same problem with my F1 as well. I'm not sure if it's just a bad design with their automatic CCT, or other manufacturer's use manual CCT and don't have this problem.

Here is an excerpt from a site

"I hear a rattling and grinding sound when I first start my CBR600(F,F2,F3...). Sometimes it goes away right away, sometimes not, sometimes it does it all the time.… What's the problem?

If your bike sounds like someone tossed a handful of marbles into the internals of your engine every time you start it up and sometimes it goes away right away and sometimes not, most likely you have a bad cam chain tensioner (CCT)—a common problem with CBR600's. Fixing it is easy and will take the average guy a half hour.

The OEM CCT tightens the cam chain hydraulically. A manual CCT is, well, adjusted manually. OEM is approximately $120ish and will probably fail again in the next few years, a manual CCT is $45 and will out last your bike. Not a tough choice.

Manual CCTs can be bought from several sources. Once you have it, remove the right side lower fairing. To the rear and toward the center of the bike from where the clutch cable bracket fastens to the engine, you will see an ovalish looking part about 3 inches across fastened to the engine with 2 bolts. That is your CCT. Remove the clutch cable bracket makes it easier to get to the CCT. Remove the 2 bolts and the CCT comes right out. I was able to reuse the gasket with no problem.

Put the manual CCT in place and tighten the 2 bolts to spec. The manual CCT instructions say that in order to properly adjust it, you have to measure the slack of the cam chain, which would involve major disassembly. The method that I and others have used is to tighten the adjuster until you feel tension. Start the bike and listen for the rattle. The rattle should be gone, if not, tighten the CCT until the noise is gone. Loosen it until you just start to hear the rattle, then slowly tighten until its gone. Shut off the bike and tighten about ¾ to 1 additional turn and tighten down the lock nut. Reassemble. Ride! "