F4i owners cam chain tensioner - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: F4i owners cam chain tensioner

maltize
    does any one have the url for a site that i can order one from??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Hey...
    i've got about just under 14K on my bike and i've noticed the noise since i've bought the thing. it's kinda annoying but does it affect the overall performance of the bike? in other words, if i don't fix it, is my bike gonna blow up (just a figure of speech)?

Peace

Bike
    RSV4
    talked to honda today they will only replace the cct with the stock one how lame !! putting a part back in that they know will fail in another 3000 kms , on my bike 03 f4i has only 3400 k's and its been doing it since 2800 k's , ill get the warranty done but after the warranty is gone im down with the manual one , by the way on my 1973 honda cb 750 it has a manual tensioner , stock one still perfect.

im all for manual tensioners !!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

maltize
    I just ordered a Manual CCT from Winners circle in ontario, $85CND and $6.95 for shipping, 1-905-475-2552.

Does anyone have any advice on the install or should it be pretty straight forward?

I talked to my shop, they said that the noise is common and not a problem for the F4I, that it was a problem with old F4 but shouldn't be an issue with the new model.

Jackie Chan's stuntdouble Array Motorcycle Man's Avatar
    Bike
    CBR600 F4
    lol, what shop told you that??

CBR600's have had CCT problems from the start (1987). F4i's have it the worst. RR's might be better, but it's too early to conclude that.

maltize
    has anyone installed a manual CCT??, did you do it?, or dealer?,

Bike
    1KRR
    what shop can do the manual CCT
    and which shop can do it properly?
    or has done it before that someone here can vouch for and trust
    for us f4i owners to take it there?
    ride to live not to die

Bike
    '09 Bandit SEA
    I just put a manual CCT on my R6.

It's simple.

-Matt

Bike
    2002 F4i
    I just did mine last weekend, I bought the part from whole shot on 200th (they ordered it). With the CCT and the Gasket my total was 70$. I didn't by the manual one because I didn't feel like taking my right fairing off a lot (as well as the tank) to adjust it so I just bought the hydraulic/stock one.
    Here are the directions:
    http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...threadid=81780

BE WARNED, if you get the stock CCT part, you will need to save the old bolt to use on the new one, and it is a bitch to screw. PS invest in a friend with very small hands.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Reviving the dead here. Lol.*

I've heard the cam chain on my '01 ever so faintly but I've noticed it right around that 5-6k mark. I don't think many would ever notice it it's far from bad. Which is why I want to address it now. Curious if any current or past owners have an opinion on going manual or if the new oem replacement is actually 'improved'? *Bike has 40k on it currently. No idea if it's ever been changed before or not.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Seems I'm a dollar short, and a decade late to the f4i revolution.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I know there's tons of interest on here for my 18 year old bike. But thought I'd update anyways.*

After exhaustive research I decided to go with the APE pro manual adjuster. As I've mentioned before on here I've been wrenching my whole life so the adjusting of it and all doesn't scare me. I concluded that I had zero faith that honda actually rectified the issue with their 'updated' tensioners and figure I'd rather be able to adjust it slightly if I ever hear it again.

*It just came in today and I'm currently waiting on a fuel pressure regulator too. Another super common f4i issue. Mine went bad and was causing hard starts and boggy shifts unless flogging it hard. So no rush on getting it in as I'm not riding it until the fpr comes in as I don't want to foul my plugs , wash my cylinders, dilute my oil, etc, etc. Figure I'd like to do the fine adjustment running and no sense running it at all until the fpr is sorted. So putting new chain and sprockets on my wife's bike today. *35k out of the original set, not bad. *Luckily we went camping for a week while waiting on these parts as 'sharing' one bike isn't working out!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    FPR finally came in. I felt as if I was dying a little each day waiting for it!

I put the APE pro manual tensioner in and I can say now that it's been in and run and 'tuned' I'm really glad I went the route I did. Swapping cctl's on this bike is a pita so I'm happy I'll not be having to do it again. Adjusting it is a cinch so I'm not worried about if I ever need to adjust it again. Easy peasy. I was able to adjust it by hand and even if in the future I need to use a Allen key it'll be easy.

I've only run it on the stand so far as I'm waiting on new plugs to arrive tomorrow to swap them out before I button everything up. I suspect the fpr has been going ever since I've owned the bike so I think fresh plugs are in order even though laser iridium plugs are stupidly priced. My bike has always had a slip on on it and it's my understanding that if anything it should have produced a slightly lean condition but nothing really to worry about. But I've always noticed the bike seemed to have run a little bit rich but ran fine, good throttle response and no starting issues so didn't worry about it. But then it somewhat suddenly seeming got quite a bit worse, hard starts(had to give it a little throttle to 'catch' ) and bogging at lower rpm/load shifts.*

Anyways looks like I'll be back up and running just in time for the long weekend! *Hwy 6 here I come!!!*