Why do cafe racers have lower height?

Thread: Why do cafe racers have lower height?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650

Question Why do cafe racers have lower height?

Why do people lower their cafe racers?
    I noticed that a lot of people get their cafe racers lowered.. they usually get shorter & stiffer fork springs or just adjust the clamping point of tree lower the front.
    They usually lower the rear by replacing the shocks/springs and lower the seat too.

But I think somebody said that lowering the bike will make it handle like Harley though?
    What's the benefit of this?

Are they doing this just for cosmetic/aesthetic reasons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC
    Because those aren't Cafe Racers. They're rat bikes built by posers without a clue.

People lower bikes because theyr'e scared. Don't live in fear.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    Honda
    Look at them. Flannel shirts, open face goldflake helmets and beards ....... It's all about aesthetics.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    I am confused that a real motorcyclist would need to ask these questions ?
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by thekaz View Post
    Yeah, i was gonna ask the same thing.

Those pics are obviously "stylizations' based on the thoughts of "artists'. Don't think I need to add to that. looks like the kinds of rat bikes you'd see being ridden around Vancouver by the lords of gastown. Frickin' flannel shirt/bearded soy boys.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    Quote Originally Posted by thekaz View Post
    A lot of manufactures raise the center of gravity to improve handling, but Ducati lowered the center of gravity before to improve the handling for the 999.
    I read an article about it too, I can't remember why though.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    ok I found it, not the article I saw, but pretty much covers the same thing.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2002/...ducati2003999/

Here some of the quotes:

"Lowering the whole center of gravity of the rider-motorcycle unit has beneficial effects on handling as well. In fact, the Ducati 999 is a motorcycle that bends over with little effort and extreme rapidity, demonstrating an enviable pace, even on the most tortuous stretches."

"For handling purposes, the potentially negative effects due to the increase in the wheelbase are widely compensated for, and exceeded, by lowering the center of gravity."

“In the first place, lowering the center of gravity produces a reduction of the shift in load during braking and acceleration."

“Lowering the seat level reduces the tilt of the torso with respect to the vertical and consequently the load weighing on the rider’s wrists. A very similar result is obtained through limiting the seat-handlebar distance. "

"Our new Superbike maintains that unique stability that all Ducati’s have, but it also improves some basic requirements of the super sport motorcycles thanks to specific design decisions. These include: (1) lowering the rider’s seat level by 15 mm;"

Bike
    yeah lets compare a shitty cb400 vs a 999 ducati.

Bike
    Motorcycle
    I always thought they lowered them because they wanted to be able to flat foot their bikes.

In the case of the ones sans a front brake they want to set the bike up for maximum Vibram braking.
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)