upgrade recommendations - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: upgrade recommendations

Bike
    ZX-10R
    Try the bike on the left out. Bulletproof engine. 1993 CBR 600 F2 with 55K on it. Been too busy to actually try and sell it. I've owned it since 2002. $1,500.00 and it's yours. Good running condition, handles well; beats my ZX-10R in tighter corners.
    Attached Images  

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Anywhere on the coast is quite a journey for me to try a bike out.*

I've been flip flopping around in my mind so much lately as I read and get responses and research the comments in this thread that it's got me really just wanting to put some seat time on my r3 again and really evaluate what I'm looking for.

If I'm going older or less expensive I keep coming around to a clean f4i. I think it would be a big step up performance wise and could satisfy my 'wants' while being a bike i could focus and build some skill on. *Not be completely overwhelmed. And if I'm looking to go newer I'm really leaning towards a 600sport bike still. But I almost feel like I'd need to save up for a bit more and get into something with abs and all the fancy new tech to make it worthwhile over say a f4i.*

I may go look at the local f4i I mentioned earlier on next week if it's still available. Looks like after Sunday I'll have atleast a couple of days off. Would be about $3000 to buy and I could probably see $2500-3000 out of my r3 in the spring?
    Unfortunately our friends who have a f4i are out of town globetrotting for a few weeks. My wife told me she was offered the keys to their house/garage and the bike but she declined thinking I wouldn't be comfortable with that. And honestly I probably wouldn't be. I'm always reluctant to 'borrow' stuff.*

I'll see how it goes but the more I research things the more I lean towards a sport bike for the type of riding I do/enjoy. Not that I'm blazingly fast or highly skilled in anyway. Just that riding in a sportlike manner is where the joy of motorcycling exists for me. And that's where I focus my time/energy and what I want to improve and build on. At the 3k price point I could possibly just keep my little r3 too and maybe try to get down to some pmtd's or take some track lessons on it somewhere? *I know that the r3 has been great for learning/practicing on and very forgiving.

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    One thing about the F4i - so many parts available. They made a ton of them, in addition to carrying over a lot from the F2, F3 and F4.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Abs is a lifesaver for sure. I used to think it was for pussies but I'm getting less dumb every day. Only superman can keep a bike from locking up or avoid getting catapulted in a panic stop.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    I hear that. But neither of the bikes I have now have it. I know that's not very sound logic. Lol.*

But at what sort of years does abs start becoming common in say 600ss bikes? *Or common in general? *Is it still mostly optional on models? *Seems it could become a much more expensive needle in a haystack to find one. Unless I just hold tight and try to save up more? *

Next Tuesday will be my first day off in ages and I may take two or three days off if the weather is nice. But I always seem to say that. The OT beckons to me, so much more money for doing the same things. *i still may go and look at that f4i, see how much flip flopping I do in the next few days.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    id like to thank everyone for their time and input on this thread. I've really considered and looked at all of the options/opinions given but in the end I've decided to still go and look at the f4i that kind of prompted this thread in the first place. If the owner and I can get our ducks in a row hopefully I can view/ride it on wed.*

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm leaning towards a supersport for the riding I enjoy and access to roads I have. And I feel that the f4i is a solid choice for a older bike with somewhat more upright ergos then a newer 600. The abs I really see the value in but it would be a financial stretch I believe and hard to find a newer 600ss with abs and then I'd be into more aggressive ergos too. I'm hoping to talk my wife into upgrading her 300ninja to a abs equipped 400 in the spring. And maybe a year or two down the road upgrading again myself to something with abs, but I just don't think it's in the cards right now.

Not a done deal yet but I think if the f4i checks out I'll hopefully be bringing it home. *

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    i
    Not a done deal yet but I think if the f4i checks out I'll hopefully be bringing it home. *
    well done, I'd say. buy a bike that appeals to you. ride it till you discover it doesn't appeal to you any more ( maybe in 1 season, maybe in 10). sell it and move on. the big advantage to an older bike is that there will be nearly no depreciation, no matter what the timeline... the downside to an older bike is that there may be hidden flaws that you are not aware of at time of purchase, and older parts will be nearer needing to be replaced. but you sound mechanically adept enough to deal with most stuff anyway.

enjoy!
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    So I think it is a done deal*. $2900 with 37k. Included in the sale was ogio saddlebags and tail bag in very nice shape, less than a year old. Less than 2k on tires, chain and sprockets. As well as new Coffman shorty exhaust and new battery this year. For $100 more I'm supposed to be picking up in a couple of weeks(he has to pick them up,from another residence)the yoshimura exhaust that was taken off as well as the original non-tinted windscreen, new grips, and a werkes undertail kit with led signals for the rear. It has led lights, flush mount and mirror mount signals. Looks to be all original plastics in good shape, bit of small scratches on the plastic of the passenger side from a standstill knockover. No marks in any of the casings or anywhere else on the bike that I could see.*

Test riding it and riding*it home about 50km I am pretty stoked. I feel at this point that it was a good choice. The power/acceleration is impressive to me but not overwhelming. The ergos are quite comfortable seeming so far. I asked about the cam chain tensioner and he said there's been no need to do it since he owned it(third owner) and didn't know if it had been done. In all honesty I forgot to ask the last time the valves were checked. Figured I'd check them myself this winter.*

I'll attempt some pics. That is my filthy shop where the new ride is home safe and sound. * Name:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  142.3 KB*
    Last edited by Squisher; 09-26-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    . *Gotta get one sideways one in there.*
    Attached Images    

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Forgot to point out. Bar end is missing on passenger side. He said it got loose and he neglected to tighten it and it fell off.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    I had a dude on a vmax ride with/behind me through Kelowna to Winfield. That was kind of cool. I never seem to meet up with other riders. We exchanged head nods at a stoplight. Lol.*

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 ninja1000sex
    Nice upgrade. I suggest when you post pics don't put your plate number visible.
    Smile, you'll live longer.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    I've heard that. But why Is That? *Can someone do something with the info? *I mean my plate is visible to the public everywhere I go? *Everyone's is?

now you've made me paranoid, I can already hear the helicopters. I've tried to take that pic out but with no luck?
    Last edited by Squisher; 09-26-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 ninja1000sex
    first: you posted your licence plate on the "web"
    Your licence plate can provide info on you.

I'll try to make a simple example: you post something "cool" but illegal.

The BCSB owners do not want to have any attachment to "you" and they will
    provide all info of "you" to the authorities.

I hope that answers your question. BCSB is great period. Just don't post a meat ball ride to squish 1 year after you post pics of your bike licence.
    Smile, you'll live longer.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    In the name of freedom of oppression I think I've successfully deleted the pic?