upgrade recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: upgrade recommendations

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Thanks again for all the input. Had a hard shift at work last night and can't seem to shake it off this morning. By Sunday night will be 120hrs in two weeks for me. I need to learn to say no.*

Regardless when I have a chance I'm going to methodically research these suggestions. Hopefully by sometime next week I'll actually have a day off and can even get out for a ride on the bike I have.
    Last edited by Squisher; 09-19-2018 at 10:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    I think "cheap" is the operative word here. *

*There are and have been a few decent 600s for sale in the area that might be closer to your budget. You can always try lowball offers this time of year. *
    This fellow reads me like an open book. My dads nickname is crowbar wallet and you know what they say about apples.*

I won't/don't lowball offer. I'll try to get a couple or even a few hundred off a asking price if the ad is obo. But I'm a very polite fellow and can't bring myself to 'lowball' people. But I do expect to get a bit of a break if a ad says obo. Honestly last weekend I was all set to go to Kelowna and look at a f4i listed, the one with 36k but the ad clearly stated obo yet when pressed on bottom line he'd only move $200 on the price and keep about $400 in accessories that were listed with the bike.*

At that point I just moved on and then thought to start this thread here. Now I feel like I'm kind of back at step 1 lol. The 'cheapness' in me still kind of leans towards the f4i though. I just can't seem to shake the feeling that it is going to fulfill my needs at a much lower price point then something newer. Are there any real negatives to a f4i that I've not stumbled across besides the age? *As I mentioned earlier I don't ride in the city much at all, no stop and go traffic or very little.*

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    I would make abs a priority. *You don’t want to be a 43 year old all busted up in hospital because you went too cheap/old to get modern safety gear. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Good point. So far I've never ridden a bike with abs. *But I do see how it would/could be a huge benefit.*
    Last edited by Squisher; 09-19-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    The more I look the more I feel less certain about what to possibly upgrade to.*

If it was a naked bike I'm leaning towards a mt09. But honestly I don't know if I want a fairingless bike and out of the sport/touring fairing equipped bikes I'm not really feeling it for any of them. What I want is a 600ss bike with slightly more upright ergos. Maybe it's worthwhile to mod one? *I'm not worried about the driveability in traffic or cities, I avoid both like the plague. *At 5'9" I fit on sportbikes fairly well and that is the type of riding I do/enjoy even with my little r3, which I know is very upright/relaxed compared to a real sportbike. *

I can't afford to screw this decision up as it's hard enough with 15 years of marriage, mortgage, teenage kid going to France next year, etc, etc, etc to get the green light on this. Whatever I get I'll be stuck with for a bit I'm guessing.

Older bikes don't scare me much mechanically. As I think I've mentioned here or elsewhere I have my own shop and am fully equipped with tooling, and very capable with it. But I don't want to be broke down on the side of the road either or riding some old beater. * And now abs has been mentioned which makes good sense too.**

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Naked's are ok up to about 120km/hr..........after that, your body takes a beating from the wind pressure. You tour, so get a fairing. Here's asmattering of 650's

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/...680897140.html
    Owner is out to lunch on his price though when you can buy one new for $7999 right now. I just like the color :-)

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/...670432552.html
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    On Bandito's recommendation, perhaps this fits your criteria better as well: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/...697913610.html

I've had a 5th gen VFR, these things are bulletproof. They were very advanced for their time, and had simple no-brainer additions that still aren't standard on many modern bikes (multiple trip meters, air temp, a working/reliable fuel gauge, etc...) Moreover, unlike the newer generations, this is the last generation without the terrible on/off mumbo jumbo of the vtec, and has fuel injection, unlike previous generations. This is also the last generation of the gear driven cams, and coupled with the V4, this bike makes lovely lovely sounds when adorned with a pipe. The only caveat is that it definitely feels like a last generation bike; it goes OK (much better than your R3), however it is top heavy and the mass is not as centralized as the newer options out there. However, it always comes down to the rider and if ridden well, these things can hustle. Will be a bit 'softer' than your typical supersport/superbike, and so will be much more practical for real roads.

Reliability wise, the only thing you really need to worry about are the regulator/rectifier, and that can be easily addressed with a cheap solution here: https://www.wiremybike.com/product_i...1986f1d0f3296d

Should you ever want to upgrade the suspension, cheap options also exist here: http://daughertymotorsports.com/Backup/vfr800.html

Finally, being that the VFR has an avid following, there are some great forums here: https://vfrworld.com/ and here: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/
    Last edited by TMR; 09-19-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Yamaha is building tremendous engines but their naked lineup goes cheap in the suspension department. It's apparent when you ride them hard.

Highway 6 was built for sportbikes.

Someone mentioned the ninja 650. Not bad. Too bad they aren't 100 horse. Cheap used. You have to like pink. I've seen at least 3 pink ones.

If you want to partake in some group rides 600s or more sportbikes will hold their own, otherwise you're sucking the hind teat.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    The 01-03 styling hasn't aged as well as some others but new tires, chain, battery, valves - that is a deal.

Bike
    04 SV650
    I would be running to get this if I were you: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/...702170776.html

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Lots of great suggestions and info. The gsxr750 i road a bit this year was an 03. Seemed really 'big' to me. But as I mentioned it was kind of trashed. Mismatched rear sets and race clip ons. I did see that ad earlier.*

I'm really not leaning towards a naked bike. But until I actually even get a day off I won't be rushing to look at much unfortunately. at some point next week I'll be taking a couple of days off. *

Honestly somewhat overwhelmed with the whole thing right now. I want to be certain what I want.

Again old gixxer is kind of making sense to me. Hwy6 has been probably 75% of my 6k of riding this year. And it's the road that always leaves me wanting a better bike. *My buddy with the gsxr750 moved away recently but I have other friends who have a f4i in their stable they've offered to let me try out if I'd like.*

I just want to get out for some rides, even on the bike I have at this point. My wife road my bike today while I was at work, like a slap in the face. Lol. It was good actually because she agreed again that I need an upgrade.

Thanks for all the input. Sorry if my post is kind of rambling or half coherent. Exhaustion is starting to seriously kick in. *

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Naked's are ok up to about 120km/hr..........after that, your body takes a beating from the wind pressure. You tour, so get a fairing. Here's asmattering of 650's

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/...680897140.html
    Owner is out to lunch on his price though when you can buy one new for $7999 right now. I just like the color :-)

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/...670432552.html
    We've got a 650 naked kawi with abs. I couldn't tour on it just due to no windscreen would be very tiring.

And... I will say, yeah it goes okay, but they are pretty low on power if you want sport performance, unless you tart them up
    and ride them around at max power territory on the tach.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    ......... I have other friends who have a f4i in their stable they've offered to let me try out if I'd like.
    No better way to try out a different bike than swapping with another rider. 90 percent of the bikes I have tried have been done this way
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    I would be running to get this if I were you: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/...702170776.html
    Less running, more research....
    "I'm so mean I make medicine sick!"

C.C.