Carb/throttle body sync tool

Thread: Carb/throttle body sync tool

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i

Carb/throttle body sync tool

I'm starting to research and compile what I'll need to check and adjust my valve clearances as well as sync the throttle bodies on my f4i. Curious what brand/make of sync tool anyone here uses? Any suggestions where to pick one up? Homemade anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    a manual to start..

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Thanks for that. I appreciate your concern/whit. I've reviewed the procedure online. I'll be fine.*

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Anyone here use or have an opinion on the liquid filled like motion pro vs the mechanical gauge sync tools?

I know my previous reply to highzoot may have seemed snarky. But I'm not looking for an internet evaluation of my mechanical abilities by someone I've never met or doesn't know me. Suffice it to say I am confident in my abilities to go about this.

As with most things throughout my life I won't pay someone to do this because without knowing someone first hand I have zero confidence in a shops ability to exercise the care and diligence to do this properly. Decades ago I stopped paying nearly anyone to do any type of wrenching for me and have looked after all my own needs. Farming, tree service business, plow business and personal vehicles/ toys. I have rebuilt and repaired more things mechanical then I really care to remember. Bikes are a hobby to me and part of the enjoyment is doing mechanical tasks like this which for me will be relaxing, clean, and much less strenuous than most I've undertaken.*

I'm just curious and like to research things so when I dive in I'm fully prepared. I have a small library of manuals for all sorts of vehicles/equipment/etc. Since the explosion of the interwebs they are covered in dust. Rarely to never do I turn to an actual manual anymore. I've reviewed a couple of how tos online about this and am confident it will be smooth sailing.

Thanks. *
    Last edited by Squisher; 09-30-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    I think the oil filled ones are most popular and accurate. I had a motionpro way back. Filled with mercury though. Worked fine but eventually gave it away. New ones use oil so way better than dealing with mercury.
    It was simple to make one for a twin with some hose, yard stick, and some 2 stroke oil.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    There's a motion pro one about an hour and a half south of me 2nd hand for $50 with a extra refill of the 'juice'. There's some other gear I'd like to look at down there too so I may just talk myself into going down this week if I don't get called in for OT shifts.*

Thanks for the input. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Hmmm. Ya snooze ya loose. Tried to find the ad I saw today and it's gone. Now that leaves me in a predicament. It's been established in other topics of mine that I'm cheap as f-ck. so now it's going to burn to buy one new. And being that there's no rush as this is a 'off season' bit of wrenching I'm planning and my bike comes off the road in three weeks time. I may just have to bide my time and watch the classifieds a bit. I like the idea of making my own but making one for a four cylinder and 'calibrating' it seems more daunting then say for a two cylinder. I'm not looking to make a career of this, probably will just buckle down and buy it. Tomorrow I pick up some new bar ends from the local shop and I'm going to inquire what they would charge to do the valves/sync. That should give me the re-assurance needed to drop the coin on tooling. A 4bank vacuum gauge is the only thing I'm short on.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    So my mind is set. I picked up some bar ends for my new to me f4i today from the local shop, because one was missing. 8-12hrs shop time for a valve check/adjustment. The good news? *They will sell me individual shims. *Makes buying my own four cylinder sync tool a little more bearable.*

I'll definetly be doing all this work myself once the bikes off the road. Helps justify having my own heated/equipped shop. I'll be steady on the course of buying what I need and doing all my work myself. *