What do you think of the new Katana?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the new Katana?

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

What do you think of the new Katana?

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...-close-photos/

https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/suzu...intermot-2018/

http://japan.webike.net/moto_news/ne...uted-in-milan/

maybe it comes down to how good you think the underlying GSXS1000 chassis and engine concept is? reception to that model has been lukewarm for sure, despite what look like good components and specs. sounds like fuelling is snatchier than most, which in a Euro 4 world is probably pretty bad news...

personally, I like the overall look. I like the half fairing, both functionally and aesthetically. I like the square retro headlamp. so, a thumb and a half up?

( too bad about the background sketch in the photo - makes it look like it's carrying a luggage rack.)
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    I quite like the looks of it actually. I've always liked naked's, I just can't wrap my head around owning one and touring on it. I love the dash from the GSX-R1000 (another bike I really really like as well). Its development makes me wonder........is the GSXS-F1000 such a fail that they needed something to attract new buyers? I haven't seen one of those GSXF's on the road yet.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Eh Muh Gawd Becky!! Array Purplekawi's Avatar
    Bike
    somethin somethin somethin
    I like it but am with CDG. Lack of wind protection would be bothersome for "spirited" touring. After spending lengthy time at speed on my minimal faired Scrambler on a tour then jumping on my RSV4 and the wind protection you get at higher speeds from even a race designed fairing, can't go back to the small fairing.
    That that doesn't kill us forces us to live with a busted up bike!!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    It's an ok looking machine. Basically naked which makes it a less than desirable tourer. I'm a fan of headlight and half fairings but this one does little in functionality. It's heavier than the gsxs f model with the same engine which brings us to another question: Why does everyone put a detuned (crippled) engine in their naked and sport touring offerings?
    Suzuki has revived their old 1000 gsxr engine for these models. Why not use the new gsxr engine and detune a few horses if they feel the need?

I would buy the gsxs f all day over the kantana on what I've seen so far. Mind you I haven't looked close at suspension and braking capabilities on both.

I want a light weight sport tourer with 200 hp. The h2 sx is not an option. Its big and heavy and ugly and freaking expensive.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    I have no disagreement with the above assessments. however, as I've demonstrated with my CB1000R, it's not too difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear by adding an aftermarket screen, etc. there are several available for the GSXS:

... and models will undoubtedly appear from Givi, MRA, etc in very short order after the Katana is actually released.

no question a 'Katana ST' would not be as well 'integrated' a sport-touring machine as your Ninja 1000, CDG, ( nor likely quite as fast), but it'd not be difficult to make it work really well...
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    I just saw a spec list that has that the tank capacity at only 12 litres (!) hard to believe, and if true certainly would eliminate the bike from distance riding...
    Last edited by doser; 10-07-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    I just saw a spec list that has that the tank capacity at only 12 litres (!) hard to believe, and if true certainly would eliminate the bike from distance riding...
    This and the minimal tail break it for me; just not practical enough for touring. Otherwise, agreed on the looks, especially regarding the square headlight.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...-close-photos/

https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/suzu...intermot-2018/

http://japan.webike.net/moto_news/ne...uted-in-milan/

maybe it comes down to how good you think the underlying GSXS1000 chassis and engine concept is? reception to that model has been lukewarm for sure, despite what look like good components and specs. sounds like fuelling is snatchier than most, which in a Euro 4 world is probably pretty bad news...

personally, I like the overall look. I like the half fairing, both functionally and aesthetically. I like the square retro headlamp. so, a thumb and a half up?

( too bad about the background sketch in the photo - makes it look like it's carrying a luggage rack.)

I'm trying real hard to give this thing a chance............No, I'm sorry, this thing is worse than a parts bin special. This thing hit many large branches falling out of the ugly tree.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I'm trying real hard to give this thing a chance............No, I'm sorry, this thing is worse than a parts bin special. This thing hit many large branches falling out of the ugly tree.
    I agree. The front end looks like it's not quite part of the bike, such a gap between the bars and dash. Where did the tail go? I like that look on a cafe racer style, not on this it's just lacking function (trunk, bags).*

I wonder about those two front lights under the headlight, is the intent that the owner immediately strips the main turn signals and the tacked-on plate (Ducati does it better) and goes integrated signals?

The nod to the retro is cool, but as it stands... no.
    At least the pipe isn't as obnoxious as the Indian FTR 1200.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Seems like a miss for all the reasons given. Hard to get by the looks of it. That headlight, I don't know about that?

Bike
    RC
    They shoulda done this.
    Name:  katana1135r.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  71.2 KB
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    ZX-10R
    I think it's ugly. I like the looks of the Z900RS much much better.

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 ninja1000sex
    I loved my TLR1000R
    I would pay $17 plus for a TLR … sport touring any day 2019.
    Smile, you'll live longer.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    They shoulda done this.
    Name:  katana1135r.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  71.2 KB
    those carbs are half the price of the whole new bike..

Bike
    ZX14
    That side angle posted above is the best view I have seen of that bike IMO.......every other angle looks like a POS to me.

Not sure what Zook is thinking with this model exactly, but I suspect as much success as the model is replaces, which is to say not great.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh and hearing some real world reviews on the riding characteristics.

I don't have the most proven track record for owning the prettiest bikes, so real proof is in the pudding and we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **