And now for something completely different .........
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely different .........

Bike
    Honda

And now for something completely different .........

Yes, it is called BC Sportbikes. And this thread doesn't contain a motorcycle ...... it isn't even aimed at sportbikes. And maybe it should be over at Advrider, but WTH; here it goes.

I sold my plated XR650R earlier this year without going on any decent rides with it. But I'm hankering to get back on a dual purposey bike but don't have one in the garage right now. But I had a truck in the driveway.

I was talking with a Highways guy last winter. Daily, he would drive from Tulameen to the Highways yard near Briton Creek on Hwy 5 thru backroads. Today is my last day off, the Mrs is away on course and I was bored. Off exploring.

With the GPS mounted and maps downloaded, off I went. Partway thru the day I realized that the route is perfect for anyone with a big Adventure bike. Since there are many people on here with a bike that fits the bill, I thought I would throw on a "ride" thread.

The path starts at Coquihalla Lakes. Take the Briton Creek rest area turn off, turn right at the stop sign and take your first left.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Honda
    Did you read the sign in the previous pic that said "Active Log Hauling"? Keep that in mind. Especially if you don't have a 2 way radio. 100,000+ lbs of log truck is nothing anyone ever wants to go up against.

The roads weren't too narrow though. You just need to hug the RH side and take it slow. There are also plenty of pull outs to allow traffic by.

For the first section it was mostly 20-40 km/hr. A bike could go quicker in the straight stretches, I'm not about to to pound the truck though.

After crossing the first of several bridges.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    Honda
    Active logging on the other side of the valley. I encountered a loaded log truck about 5 minutes before this photo. So active logging on this side too ....

Just after I got back in the truck and up to solid 40 km/hr, around the corner pops a massive 6 wheel road grader ...... that road got very skinny very fast.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Honda
    Active logging ...... this isn't up a cut block, this is right on the road. It went on for about 500 m and smelled terrific.

Bike
    Honda
    That's a placer miner's campsite down the hill. I had pulled off to look at the creek and saw the "Active Claim" signs. After spending time in the Yukon and Alaska this past summer, I just decided to steer clear.

Up there, going into the US, I told the border officers I was going exploring for the day. I was warned to stay off any roads that said "Active Mining". There were several between the border and Chicken, AK down the side roads. When I asked why, I was told "Because they'll shoot you". When I laughed, the border officers didn't ..... they just said "They will. And they can." Turns out there are too many instances of miners being jumped on their claims or stopped on the road as they made their way to Dawson City to sell their gold. So exercising their rights as "Muricans they defend themselves. I turned back and explored Canadian backroads that day. Today, I just kept going a bit .....

Bike
    Honda
    Onto the Lawless Creek FSR .......

Where they are actively logging .......

There were a pair of these fellers sitting there. They had just been dropped off and I caught up to the lowboy that pulled them in 10 minutes later. I was hoping to use him as a blocker on the way out but he was a polite guy who pulled over to let me by.

Bike
    Honda
    Save and sound, about 50 km later I ended up in Tulameen.

Onwards up the Coalmont Rd .....

Bike
    Honda
    There are a lot of free range cattle along the entire route. Open land, open range.

More active logging roads .....

Bike
    Honda
    Turning down Brookmere Rd, thru some Douglas Lake Ranch land and towards Brookmere. At least thru here, I didn't have to worry about logging trucks. The roads were far too narrow and far too twisty.

I did runn into 4 ranch hands on horseback. Best thing to do when unsure if you're supposed to be there is stop, be polite and have a chat. That's how I learned it was Douglas Lake Ranch land ..... but no one said stop so I continued on.

Bike
    Honda
    About 10 km out of Brookmere ......

The road was a long downhill run for about 8 km. Steep enough that I kept the truck in 4 wheel high and 1st gear to avoid standing on the brakes.

Bike
    Honda
    Back to civilization!

Cool old fire engine and water tank for steam engines ......

Bike
    Honda
    The road from Brookmere to Coldwater and onto Merritt was chipseal and posted at 80 km/hr. But I really couldn't see going that fast too often, it was super tight with a lot of completely blind corners and crest.

And any trip into Merritt warrants a stop at the Kekuli Cafe. Great bannock and really good coffee.

Bike
    Honda
    Two last photos. Northbound and going into Merritt, you ever notice those three large residences on a low hill off to your left? I took a run by them. Turns out it is a failed condo development.

And the GPS screen back at the Briton Creek turnoff, this time southbound. A total of 312 km and 5 hrs, including side trips and bathroom/food breaks for the entire loop.

Bike
    Honda
    Anyway, it dosn't matter if you are on an 1150GSA or a CFR250L, this would be a great loop. I ran into Princeton after Tulameen for a sandwich from the Save-On. It was only 19 more km and a beautiful ride. Smaller tanked bikes could top off there. I would guess the total distance without running into Princeton would be around 280 km, not too far.

If a rider were still feeling fresh,they could backtrack the route instead of droning over Hwy 5. Or just run along west of Merritt to Spences Bridge or Logan Lake. Regardless, looks like I gotta start selling the Mrs on letting me replace that XR650R before next season.

Bike
    Honda
    The route in it's entirety. Maybe someone can explain why the GPS gave me 312 km (minus the 40 for running into Princeton which isn't on the map and then the 65 or so from Merritt south to Briton Creek) but Google maps says 137 km. The GPS mileage was pretty close to what my odometer said as well.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Unnam...50.1113079!3e0
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 10-25-2018 at 09:40 PM.