Bike transport

Thread: Bike transport

Bike
    Honda

Bike transport

I have to move 3 bikes between 6 and 8 hrs east of the LMD in the next couple months. The wee CB350/4, the beefy VFR1200 and the new-to-me and non-running NS400R. In addition I have 2 cars and a truck to move ........ I know, I know, first world problems.

The biggest concern is the bikes. My options are having a vehicle transporter to do it or doing it myself. Like everyone, my concerns are the vehicle transporter breaking, scratching or otherwise damaging the bikes or cars but it is the least amount of trouble.

If I do it myself, I am considering the following options:
    - renting a U-Haul truck. Make a frame to place inside the truck with wheel chocks and tiedowns. Of course it would have to be down without damaging their truck.
    - getting hold of the metal frames that new bikes come on, installing those in the bed of the U-haul in a similar and safe manner.

The benefits of getting a U-Haul truck is that I could get a car carrier to tow behind and transport my sunny day car at the same time.

The option of buying a 3 bike trailer isn't really viable as it's not something I would use again.

I figure there are others on here who have faced the same dilemma. All input is appreciated.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC
    You've got the pickup. The 2 little bikes can go in one trip. The VFR I'd wait till the weather broke and ride it. For the rest get a couple buddies to road trip them. You've probably got some other stuff to move too.

For that NS400R I would say the UK is your best bet to find a tuner in the UK. If you re-jet it it feels like they bolted the carbs to the intake and then welded the frame around them. Make sure you run the engine with the airbox open though after because you can hear the air getting sucked into the reed valve and it's pretty cool; and the stock expansion chambers are insanely heavy.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    Honda
    The pickup is a Tacoma wit a 6' box and part of that is taken up by mechanism that the hard tonneau cover retracts into. And there is a rear bumper mounted, swing away tire carrier so keeping the tailgate down is no longer an option. I suppose I could dismount that swing-away carrier and do what you suggest. That actually sounds pretty damn good. Sometimes the solution is right in front of your face and you can't see it. I'll dig out the tape measure to see how things look. It does have a 7500# tow rating so a trailer behind it is going to be happening.

The NS came with a set of JollyMoto expansion chambers with carbon "silencers" .... that was the big selling feature for me. And it's looking like the UK might be the only option unless I get lucky with someone her in BC. I was contacted by a guy who had his engine rebuilt by one of the "Gords" at Valley Yamaha. Anyone know how to contact the Gord.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    LOL easy ...... uhaul cube, car trailer, 2x4s, couple of sheets of plywood, screws and a dozen good straps
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    If you do go back to renting a van, I would advise to stay away from uhaul and instead go with a Penske or something that has actual e-track in it. Then you can go to Princess Auto and get some proper straps or tie-offs and not have to worry about the crap uhaul rails pulling off the wall and dumping your bikes.*

But the pickup idea sounds better overall. *

Bike
    ummm
    I have a 3 year old TNT [new] fully insured 6' x 12' single axle non- electric brake enclosed trailer, specifically set up to haul 3 motorcycles. I pulled it to Las Vegas [Death Valley fall of 2017 with my '08 Ford Ranger 4x4, GVW 6600ib, , with a fully loaded BMW R1200GS [panniers in the back of the truck canopy], Honda Africa Twin [panniers in the canopy] and a 2012 BMW F800ST [panniers in the canopy]. trailer was perfect. i've used to a couple times to deliver vintage bikes to bike shows, usually a Norton Commando, an RC30, and a Laverda Jota, couple time to drop off BMW at BMW hospital. Tires are speed rated 95km/hr. Fully adjustable tie down system. 2 staggered roll-in wheel chocks forward, one removable wheel chock facing towards back. New spare tire. Wheel theft lock. Multiple ratchet tie downs. Wiring is standard 3 pin plug system which is stock on my Ranger, and the trailer. Currently parked in covered storage in North Aldergrove 248th and 64th Ave area. Perhaps we could arrange a trailer rental of sorts? i'd have to check with my autoplan agent to see if my current insurance package would allow for non owner use?

Steve

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    for that distance i'd opt for a covered -haul; be nice to your bikes.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

To torque or not? Array CaribooBC's Avatar
    Bike
    94 Ducati 900 SS CR, 86 NS400R and 98 R1100S
    NS400R..... Nice. I have had one in my stable since 1990. I blew up the crank about ten years ago. I ended up buying two wrecked bikes to get my one good one back together. Dale at Big Top, in Chilliwack has two or three of them. There is one in PG that has been for sale for about 6 months, where did yours come from?
    86 Honda NS400R "Bone stock", 94 Ducati 900 SS CR "Hot Rod", 98 BMW R1100S "The Bagger", 05 Ducati ST3 "Stealth fighter". 07 Ducati ST3S ABS "Sex on wheels"

Bike
    Honda
    Mine came from a buddy in Richmond ...... any suggestions for an engine rebuilder?

Bike
    ummm
    Renewed the insurance on my truck today, and brought in my trailer policy to view at my trusted agent. Insurance coverage does not allow for other use than me. My apologies for offering it without checking first with him.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Renewed the insurance on my truck today, and brought in my trailer policy to view at my trusted agent. Insurance coverage does not allow for other use than me. My apologies for offering it without checking first with him.
    ohh crazy, never thought of that.. a friend of mine wanted to borrow mine for a trip to Cali last summer...
    would have been shitty to find out at the last minute.. He ended up renting one as mine needed some TLC before i could lend it out.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 02-16-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I need to look into this myself possibly. I've borrowed and lent trailers out my whole life. Flatdeck, enclosed, travel, dump, boat you name it. Never thought more about it then having valid insurance.*

Bike
    Honda
    For some reason I didn’t see your offer earlier, Steve. That’s too bad, it sounds like a very nice set up. However once everything gets farther away to the east, it and myself will be staying there. The logistics of getting it back would be painful.*

Looking at a Uhaul 6’x9’ now. Big enough for two bikes, the last in the truck. Take it up and leave it, no worries about trying to get back to the LMD.

But honestly, thanks for the offer. *

To torque or not? Array CaribooBC's Avatar
    Bike
    94 Ducati 900 SS CR, 86 NS400R and 98 R1100S
    I had a guy up here in 100 Mile House rebuild mine. He worked at our local Ski-Doo dealership and also owned a NS400. Crank had to be sent to Quebec for rebuilding, done at a place specializing in two stroke sled crank rebuilding. I will see if I can find my guy up here, see if he is still wrenching.
    86 Honda NS400R "Bone stock", 94 Ducati 900 SS CR "Hot Rod", 98 BMW R1100S "The Bagger", 05 Ducati ST3 "Stealth fighter". 07 Ducati ST3S ABS "Sex on wheels"

Bike
    Honda
    Excellent. Thanks a ton, always up for a drive to the Cariboo.