Textile 2-Piece Suit Recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Textile 2-Piece Suit Recommendations

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Layin' er down to save er huh?
    LOL, had to lay 'er down to avoid a crash.

Trying to wrestle 950lb of overweight, underpowered Harley inside a figure eight as big as a small 2 car garage things happen. You learn really quick to not try and save it. Keep your feet and arms tucked in and let it hit the deck. I've known guys who have their legs snap like twigs when they put a foot down.

The BMW is much, much easier to maneuver.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    LOL, had to lay 'er down to avoid a crash.

Trying to wrestle 950lb of overweight, underpowered Harley inside a figure eight as big as a small 2 car garage things happen. You learn really quick to not try and save it. Keep your feet and arms tucked in and let it hit the deck. I've known guys who have their legs snap like twigs when they put a foot down.

The BMW is much, much easier to maneuver.
    HD. Not even once.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    ZX-10R
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    HD. Not even once.
    Amen...

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Short List includes the Rev'IT Dominator jacket: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...tor-gtx-jacket

and the AlpineStars Revenent jacket: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ech-air-street

But holy crap! $1500 to $2000 just for the jacket
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    ummm
    Textile jackets cover a huge range of specialized use, differing types of textile, differently prepared textiles, and differing layer position. just checked, I have 15 jackets alone, never mind the pants. Included in that are non textile jackets, 2 leather, and 1 waxed cotton.

One must think about different performance characteristics in the different type of textiles out there. I'm not going to cover Kevlar in this, unless it comes up, as I consider it a fabric unto it's own quite separate in performance levels to all the textiles.

Right off the bat, you need to understand the 1st distinction in a waterproof jacket, whether the waterproof barrier is an inside liner or the outside main textile. I've got lots of both types. If you've ever walked into a hotel room or home, and your jacket weight 20 pounds more in water, and creates a puddle under where it's hanging, you know that's a jacket with the waterproof aspect on the inside. You will find you will have to pull over to the side of the road to put in the liner [riding into a rain storm] and in turn pulling it out [riding down from a cool pass into a hot valley] . Outside layer waterproof aspect is by far superior in basic design.

Types of textile treatment make a big difference in performance, crash capability, and ability. Polyurethane coated nylon is by far the least expensive, and if you fall and skid, IS the one which will melt, and melt into your skin from abrasion heat. Non polyurethane coated textile, almost always Goretex brand Cordura, will prevent this. Unfortunately, this means you'll mostly have to put up with fiddling around with waterproof liner on a tour.

Color. Another thing to think about. Just like helmets, a black jacket will heat up way more in the sunshine of summer. And quickly cool off in the shade. But a lighter color will show dead bug guts in the front, rear chain oil spray on your back, which won't wash out.

Armour. lower cost jackets will have armour less willing to form to you, causing pressure points that will drive you nuts. Study armour types.

Ryan @ Fortine has just done a video basically testing the different textile fabric out there, although not all, and rating them. Quite informative.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCdQfbLw7o

What do I use right now? BMW has chosen to make their own fabric [typical Germans] probably to avoid the huge copyright agreement costs of Gortex. It's made by Sholler, a kind of Gortex/Kevlar hybrid, on 2 of their jackets, BMW Streetguard, BMW Streetguard Long, and BMW Enduroguard, which offers the durability of equivalent 1000 denier Gortex, and the ability to make a jacket with the waterproof aspect outside layer #1. I've owned the Streetguard for 12 years now, and only just a couple years ago it began to lose it's waterproof capabilities. And i've gained some weight and it's gotten a bit tight in the belly, lolol. Last spring after deciding it's comfort, venting, etc was the best I've ever had [including a 70km/hr 'off' skidding along my right shoulder and elbow with no rips or wear through's] meant i was going to go with a new Streetguard Long [longer cut on the back preventing cold air going up the back on a sportbike]. The new Enduroguard caught my eye, bought it instead. After a year of ownership, I regret not sticking with the Streetguard. The Enduroguard, much like my Motoport Ultra 1000, I'm sure I'd easily survive a grizzly attack if wearing the thing. That's perhaps it's biggest issue, it's just TOO heavy duty. My buddy has an Aerostitch Roadcrafter, and he says this kind of beast needs a couple seasons to break in. Plus i miss the soft leather neck liner of the Streetguard, the easy to open when riding zippered lower arm/wrist flaps which work as the most incredible air scoops during hot weather, the fantastic venting in front, high quality mouldable armour, yeah, the Streetguard is 'it' even now.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    I'm really happy with my Dianese stuff. Nice shoulder, lower arm and knee/lower leg armour, I had a hard time finding other textile pants with armour.*

I got the D-air stuff that has a removable waterproof lining. But it's a band-aid, not suitable for extended wet weather riding. Ventilation is great without having mesh in impact areas.

Are textiles ok for all track days, or do some tracks say leather only, or does it depend on fast/slow group? **

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Thanks Steve, I personally think a waterproof layer inside the jacket is completely retarded. I find a $100 rain jacket over my leathers from Scott or Rev'IT is perfect. packs up to the size of 1/2lb coffee and weighs nothing.

I'll look at the BMW stuff, thanks
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Are textiles ok for all track days, or do some tracks say leather only, or does it depend on fast/slow group? **
    That shot is from Pitt Meadows Track Days, which allows textile. I would have been in the Relaxed group on that bike, when I moved up I got leather. Not sure leather is required for the intermediate and expert groups, but it's certainly the standard.*

I'm sure other more advanced track days specify leather but you'd have to check.

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Short List includes the Rev'IT Dominator jacket: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...tor-gtx-jacket

and the AlpineStars Revenent jacket: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ech-air-street

But holy crap! $1500 to $2000 just for the jacket
    If you're getting into this range, look into Aether and Rukka. I assume you've obviously also looked at Klim. Given the style you've mentioned, another consideration is the BMW Enduroguard suit; it's seriously stiff though, I gather you wouldn't like the fit as compared to your leathers.

*edit* - Didn't see what Steve G said above; he pretty much covered it with the Enduroguard. Stiff.
    Last edited by TMR; 03-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Thanks Steve, I personally think a waterproof layer inside the jacket is completely retarded. I find a $100 rain jacket over my leathers from Scott or Rev'IT is perfect. packs up to the size of 1/2lb coffee and weighs nothing.
    I agree, the inner "waterproof"*lining on the Dianese stuff I have is a great wind block but only good for light rain in an emergency. Those cool mornings that chill you at highway speed but warm up are the ideal use case.*

I lament the loss of serious textile Belstaff gear, I started with that and it was great stuff.*

Bike
    I don't understand why you guys don't just get a proper Goretex jacket that is typically used in the backpacking/hiking realm and fit it over your leathers? If you need something packable, get one of the lightweight waterproof over-jackets that CDG mentioned.

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Boy, does Rukka ever have a shit website
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Wanted to give you guys a heads up. Found a smoking deal on some IXS gear on Iron Pony.

Specifically, this: IXS Nemoy Textile Jacket. NOS top of the line jacket, Gore-tex liner, insulating liner, euro fit, sas-tec level 2 back protector, vents galore, crazy cheap. This model is known as the 'Nimrod' in Europe, better views of the jacket can be found here: https://www.xlmoto.eu/ixs-gtx-nimrod...leg-gray-black

Smoking deals on their pants as well: https://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pl.asp/...ucts/Brand/IXS

Size Chart: https://moto.ixs.com/en/size-chart

Anyways, wanted to share for those who may be interested in some high quality textile gear, looks like they still have many sizes in stock.
    Last edited by TMR; 03-04-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    thats really cheap
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Just wanted to add a couple more 'premium' textile offerings to the thread for future reference.

Richa: https://www.richa.eu/ca-en

Hideout Leathers: https://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/mo...nd-waterproofs

Came across the hideout on ADVrider, and found another review here: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/produ...-and-trousers/