BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Shopping for a new ride..

26K views 190 replies 17 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Got my arse to the Motorcycle show willing to put downpayment on the new BMW S1000RR. According to the rep from MTL there, Only a few lucky SOB will get their new 2019/2020 RR by June or late August later this year. No thanks. I want to ride ASAP. I am torn between a left over Aprilia RSV4 RR or RF, GSX-argh latest Gen or new Gen R1 from Yamahahaha.

Anybody on here own an APE from 2016+ Any issues? Feeling like gambling buying an Italian Bike. Seems to be a no brainer. ECU reflash, Exhaust, few bits like Rearset, 520 kit, Suspension tune and ET Voila!

Any good suspension tuner in B.C.? Also any good Dyno tuners? thinking about going Rapid Bike module this year.

Thanks a lot!
Fred

#75 · (Edited)
Like the Suzuki system better. More compact, less moving parts, more clever and small for sure.. Wonder if the Beemer got an advantage in the real world with their shiftcam system?? The funny thing is at WOT.. both bikes sound the same.. :flashy I still think the "tank area" is still big on the new BMW.

#91 ·
I recall mine, it ended up in the hands of a member here. Mind blowing ..... that’s what that bike was. Smoothness, never ending torque. It reminded me of the 600HP electric motors we had in the pulp mill. * *

#94 ·
Insured my G1K today and took a ride out to Jordan River - casual 150km round trip to shake off the cobwebs and see how the roads look.

I can't speak for the new S1000RR of course but here's what I can say about the lowly 83ft lbs and 184hp Jizza:

-It's the first bike I've ever TRIED to thrash a little and was told "Um, NO!"

Honestly it's 3 bikes in 1:

4000-7000rpm - no drama just twist and go, very docile and easy to ride. Peppy but not overkill.
7000-9000rpm - you reeeeally better have your game face on and be paying attention cause shit happens quick, especially from 7500rpm upwards!
9000-14000rpm - basically unrideable on the street. Totally out of the realm of my capabilities to ride it at that power output.

Jesus mary and joseph...

#107 ·
A new Yamaha YZF-R1 on the way because of Euro5 rules? (credit: Bruno Gomes)

The origins of the famous Yamaha YZF-R1 can be traced back to 1998 when the Iwata factory stunned the motorcycle world with what was a truly amazing superbike. During the years, the R1, for short, has evolved, getting a more powerful engine and technologies. But the latest generation of this superbike is already getting old if we can say it like that. The YZF-R1, in this latest generation, was released in 2015 with a 200 hp engine and a futuristic design, and although Yamaha isn’t keen on developing a completely new bike, they might be forced to do it because of new Euro5 rules.

Set to become effective by 2021, the Euro5 rules will force motorcycle manufacturers to develop new versions of their current models as a way to comply with these stricter emission rules. The 2015 YZF-R1 is still a great looking superbike and does perform well, but Yamaha won’t be able to sell her beyond 2021 if they don’t update the engine.

Well, rumors say that Yamaha management wants to take the opportunity to not only update the inline-four-cylinder engine to Euro5 rules but also completely redesign the YZF-R1 and at the same time use MotoGP derived technologies, even more than they’re already using.

As such, the Crossplane engine should keep its inline architecture as we know it, but Yamaha will pick up some special technical solutions directly from MotoGP and their own YZR-M1 prototype. It’s widely believed that the new 2021 YZF-R1 is going to use a counter-rotating crankshaft, and in doing so, it will follow in the footsteps of the Ducati Panigale V4 who also uses the same solution. This counter-rotating crankshaft, as the name implies, rotates against the direction of movement of the bike, thus helping to avoid wheelies. As a result of that, the bike accelerates faster and also doesn’t need to rely so much on electronic help like traction control and wheelie control.

There’s also talk that Yamaha will also adopt variable valve timing, something Suzuki brought to the superbike class with the latest GSX-R1000, with Suzuki VVT, and lately BMW Motorrad with their new S1000RR also with a special version of variable valve timing, the ShiftCam.

But Yamaha isn’t going to stop there!

Again drawing inspiration from their MotoGP prototype, and If we believe in a new set of patent files made public last week in Japan, the new 2021 YZF-R1 could benefit and be the first mass production superbike to use a seamless gearbox, a system that is now used only on MotoGP bikes… and for a good reason.

A seamless gearbox it’s the “must have” technology in MotoGP, because this special racing gearbox allows the bike to have to gears engaged simultaneously. This way, when the rider shifts a gear, the gearbox doesn’t cut the power, the acceleration of the bike improves by up to 7%, and the rider can shift at extreme lean angles knowing the bike won’t suffer any destabilization, something we all know happens on a conventional gearbox.

But there’s a catch to this perfect gearbox: a seamless gearbox requires a lot of maintenance. According to reports from MotoGP paddock, the seamless gearbox on MotoGP prototypes needs to be taken apart at the end of each day during a race weekend, so that team engineers can adjust the very tight tolerances that this system requires in order to work as intended. This high maintenance on a street superbike isn’t possible, but Yamaha might have found a way to make it work, and the new patents seem to point to that solution.

Of course, the new Yamaha YZF-R1 will get all the latest updates on electronic riding aids, as it’s expected on such a high-performance superbike, but the design will also suffer a lot of changes.

The main focus now on top manufacturers seems to be getting the most out of the aerodynamics of their bikes. The MotoGP wings are now starting to be used on production superbikes – Aprilia RSV4 1100 Factory and Ducati Panigale V4 R -, and the new R1 will probably use some type of aerodynamic components that we’re used to seeing on MotoGP bikes.

It’s still a long time before we can see the new YZF-R1, but we’re already wishing Yamaha is working on this new generation superbike, and we really want to test her as soon as possible!

#108 ·
Will these new technologies help with attracting more attention in those situations where I find myself wringing my bike out at WOT when parading at Squambucks? Will the spoilers and wings support a double mocha venti no-fat extra whip frap? Inquiring minds need to know.

#119 ·
#122 ·
Yeah - Euro 4 and Euro 5 emissions reg's have killed a lot of bikes recently - CBR600RR, Daytona 675, Hayabusa, GSXR750, etc...

Glad to see manufacturers are offering real world usable bikes in place of them though like the 765 Street Triple and 790 Duke.

#123 ·
Now if only the insurance brackets will catch up...too many bikes falling into a larger bracket for no good reason.

Anwyays, heres to buying a lightly used s1000rr in a few years from some 'collector' that never really rode it...

Shaking my head here over the sg power aprilia tech issue...now wonder they have no new ape bikes in stock. Ive been eyeing/drooling over noncurrent tuono/rsv4s on the mainland....mostly fantasy but fml I want one....sigh whats the point now if no one local can work on them.

#125 ·
^^^ yup, a serious chunk 'a meat, that...

#140 · (Edited)
Guys. If I want to buy a used motorcycle as a private sale in B.C. If the seller gives me a gift receipt, Am I skipping the silly 12% PST taxes? That province is killing me. 125$ a month for liability on a 1000cc sportbike haahah :laughing .. and the gas price hahahaha :roflmao I am about to order a few VP 45 Gal of fuel!! Would be cheaper than Premium at the Pump lol:flashy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.