New to BC and looking for suggestions on where to ride
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to BC and looking for suggestions on where to ride

Registered User Array

New to BC and looking for suggestions on where to ride

Hi all,

As the title says I just moved here from the east coast. I have not previously spent any time in BC so don't really know anything. Looking for suggestions for a half day or a 1-2 hour ride from vancouver. Somewhere scenic with stops along the way (restaurants, coffee etc...) would be nice.

I've been riding 20+ years so love a spirited ride, but given that any road I take now will be my first time on it, something nice and easy (not a crazy "twisty") will be lovely.

Thank you all in advance. Maybe I will meet some fellow riders in the future for a small group ride. I'm looking to get out sat. morning this weekend.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Fuelled by rice Array racerboy88's Avatar
    Bike
    Derbi
    Sea to Sky hwy to Whistler is always nice but go early in the morning to avoid traffic. You are pretty safe as long as you do not speed excessively. From there you can continue on to the Duffy Lake loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Bike
    Derbi
    I would also suggest joining some other bike groups on FB.

02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Registered User Array
    Thank you for both suggestions. I was thinking the whistler one too. Cheers,

Bike
    04 SV650
    FB group .604 Motorcycles puts on Monday night ride to Starbucks at Squamish on Sea 2 Sky (also known as Squambucks). After the ride, folks usually got to restaurant in North Van for some food and juts to shoot the shit. Be warned, it is called S2Shitshow for a reason. Cops are all over, as they know bikes are coming. Speed limit is 80-90km/h, and here in BC we have lovely law that if you go 40+ km/h over the limit and get caught, you get automatic 1 week impound. After all the fees and such, you are looking at around $2K-$3K in fines. Some folks on that ride go way over their heads and tend to crash as well.

With all that said, if you keep it below impound speed, let white rabbits go in front of you to pick up all the heat, it is short and simple ride after work and good way to meet bunch of people. From time to time there are rides posted on here as well, but this place is ghost town, so dont expect too much from here

Edit: Truth be told, odds are that there will always be several people in Squambucks any day of the week, at any time really. As long as weather is nice that is. 1200 Hunter Pl
    Last edited by cvrle1; 06-20-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Bike
    ummm
    As far as Mondays “Squambucks” ride, or any other advertised on social media or forum, be aware that police monitor places like this, and will coordinate speed checks on route. The STS is the ultimate fishing hole for speed tax collection, probably in the province.

BTW, best riding locally is in Whatcom county.

Bike
    Derbi
    Breakfast club 604 usually meets at Chevron on Boundary and Dominion at 6am Saturday & Sunday mornings to ride to Squamish

02 R1- stolen Nov 24/02

Hang Thieves

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    1/2 Day Rides (all times include posing for 30mins with a coffee in you hand)

Mt. Baker and back (4-5 hours)
    Squamish (3 hours)
    Half a Duffy (at least that's what i have been calling it for 20 years). Basically go 75kms past Pemberton and turn around (6-7 hours)
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    As far as Mondays “Squambucks” ride, or any other advertised on social media or forum, be aware that police monitor places like this, and will coordinate speed checks on route. The STS is the ultimate fishing hole for speed tax collection, probably in the province.

BTW, best riding locally is in Whatcom county.
    Some fun roads just on the other side of the border.

Not really 1 to 2 hours, more 1/2 day.

Registered User Array
    Thank you all Those ideas will keep me busy for a few weeks. Will keep it to our side of the border before going down; but I am already dreaming Oregon...

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda RC46
    Stave lake is always nice to ride. It's short but fun
    2002 Honda RC46
    2009 KLR 650
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 Honda RC46
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Wow, haven't heard from you in ages. How's things?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Je ne suis pas Francais Array nutcracker's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 Honda RC46
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Wow, haven't heard from you in ages. How's things?
    Hey CDG, things are good, I'm still living in Quebec. I'm not back in town but I'm back riding, bought a 2002 VFR a few months ago, it was always the best bike I ever owned and couldn't pass a good deal for another one.
    2002 Honda RC46
    2009 KLR 650
    2006 Husqvarna 610SM
    2004 Honda RC46
    2003 R1
    2002 KTM LC4
    1998 ZX6-R
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by racerboy88 View Post
    Sea to Sky hwy to Whistler is always nice but go early in the morning to avoid traffic. You are pretty safe as long as you do not speed excessively. From there you can continue on to the Duffy Lake loop.
    agreed, there is a lake just outside of Pemberton which has gotten very popular over the past few years.

with a small parking lot, you'll find many a car parked on side of road , its a bad and busy scene. Get out of town early,

have an early b-fast and hit Lillooet for Lunch!
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Happiness is the corner Array Land Roving's Avatar
    Bike
    A couple Hondas, a Duc, an Aprilia, a Suzuki and a Yamaha walk into a bar...
    Once you tire of the 1/2 day rides from Vancouver, head east via Hwy 20 to Winthrop. Overnight there, head north the next day through Omak, and head home on Hwy 3. It's a pretty nice and not terribly grueling.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.