Shopping for a new ride..
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 191

Thread: Shopping for a new ride..

  1. #1
    Registered User Array Badexample's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Courtenay
    Bike
    2011 Zx-10r

    Shopping for a new ride..

    Got my arse to the Motorcycle show willing to put downpayment on the new BMW S1000RR. According to the rep from MTL there, Only a few lucky SOB will get their new 2019/2020 RR by June or late August later this year. No thanks. I want to ride ASAP. I am torn between a left over Aprilia RSV4 RR or RF, GSX-argh latest Gen or new Gen R1 from Yamahahaha.

    Anybody on here own an APE from 2016+ Any issues? Feeling like gambling buying an Italian Bike. Seems to be a no brainer. ECU reflash, Exhaust, few bits like Rearset, 520 kit, Suspension tune and ET Voila!

    Any good suspension tuner in B.C.? Also any good Dyno tuners? thinking about going Rapid Bike module this year.

    Thanks a lot!
    Fred

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    two feet off the ground..
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    have fun whatever you decide to go with.. i've always liked the APES

    friend of mine down under swears by 'em. has owned both RSV4-R Factory (the original), and then a Tuono.. which i dont think he ever sold. its a newer model.

    he rides the shit out of his bikes.. only method of transport for a bloody long time
    http://bcusedoil.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

  4. #3
    track hack Array Young Lion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Island
    Bike
    790
    RSV4 is an amazing machine but on the heavier side of things and even worse, ZERO shops on the Island will service it. A buddy just looked to purchase a used one so called around the local south Island shops as it's due for a valve adjustment and not only will they not do that, they won't touch it for anything - even a damn rubber swap would have to be done with wheels only - he can't ride the bike in and get the swapped. Unbelievable.

    If you're okay taking it to Vancouver then that's not an issue (assuming you're still based in Courtenay) however parts and servicing would factor heavily into my decision.

    I think the new S1000RR is gonna be an absolute weapon but if I couldn't wait - then for me I'd buy the GSXR. I actually picked one up in the Fall, just had a full Yosh put on, some V2.0 Vortex rearsets, and had it down to see Nels at 2WheelDynoWorks for a reflash and tune. HEALTHY numbers to say the least so I'm looking forward to Spring to get a chance to put some km's on it and see how the chassis is.
    "I'm so mean I make medicine sick!"

    C.C.




  5. #4
    Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    two feet off the ground..
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    ^^^ i was going to ask some of those crazy questions regarding upkeep myself.. thanks for confirming fears
    http://bcusedoil.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

  6. #5
    Registered User Array Badexample's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Courtenay
    Bike
    2011 Zx-10r
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Lion View Post
    RSV4 is an amazing machine but on the heavier side of things and even worse, ZERO shops on the Island will service it. A buddy just looked to purchase a used one so called around the local south Island shops as it's due for a valve adjustment and not only will they not do that, they won't touch it for anything - even a damn rubber swap would have to be done with wheels only - he can't ride the bike in and get the swapped. Unbelievable.

    If you're okay taking it to Vancouver then that's not an issue (assuming you're still based in Courtenay) however parts and servicing would factor heavily into my decision.

    I think the new S1000RR is gonna be an absolute weapon but if I couldn't wait - then for me I'd buy the GSXR. I actually picked one up in the Fall, just had a full Yosh put on, some V2.0 Vortex rearsets, and had it down to see Nels at 2WheelDynoWorks for a reflash and tune. HEALTHY numbers to say the least so I'm looking forward to Spring to get a chance to put some km's on it and see how the chassis is.
    Thank you very much for the feedback and info! It seems like SGPower won't even do a valve adjustment on them! They're such good bikes out of the box but knowledge and support is minimal everywhere. A buddy of mine got a 16 RF and had to "trailer it" to the mainland for a recall and an issue with his dash. That can be a pain in the arse. They had to call AF1 racing (online shop/forum) to fix his dash issue over the phone! Sad! I am looking at other options as well. The new Gixxer comes with a 5 years warranty and there's many left over. Sounds so sweet with the VVT! Comes heavily restricted out of the box. Needs brakes/suspension tweaking. I just have problems with the look of it. It looks like a banana on 2 wheels with that tail? I am trying to convince myself to love it by watching videos on youtube everyday!!!
    haah The new R1 is cool as well, alu tank, magnesium wheels, crossplane..feels lightweight AF just being sit on it, those headlights are hideous! Love the ergos.. I can probably can score a left over and spend $$ on goodies. Having such an hard time to pick a damn ride!! haah It is like Hell!!



    Lot of time and money invested in that one!
    Last edited by Badexample; 04-09-2019 at 09:18 PM.

  7. #6
    Registered User Array Badexample's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Courtenay
    Bike
    2011 Zx-10r
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    have fun whatever you decide to go with.. i've always liked the APES


    friend of mine down under swears by 'em. has owned both RSV4-R Factory (the original), and then a Tuono.. which i dont think he ever sold. its a newer model.


    he rides the shit out of his bikes.. only method of transport for a bloody long time
    I get fully erected everytime I hear one live. Love the ergo as well. It is a bred race bike. The left overs go for cheap right now.

  8. #7
    track hack Array Young Lion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Island
    Bike
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by Badexample View Post
    Thank you very much for the feedback and info! It seems like SGPower won't even do a valve adjustment on them! They're such good bikes out of the box but knowledge and support is minimal everywhere. A buddy of mine got a 16 RF and had to "trailer it" to the mainland for a recall and an issue with his dash. That can be a pain in the arse. They had to call AF1 racing (online shop/forum) to fix his dash issue over the phone! Sad! I am looking at other options as well. The new Gixxer comes with a 5 years warranty and there's many left over. Sounds so sweet with the VVT! Comes heavily restricted out of the box. Needs brakes/suspension tweaking. I just have problems with the look of it. It looks like a banana on 2 wheels with that tail? I am trying to convince myself to love it by watching videos on youtube everyday!!!
    haah The new R1 is cool as well, alu tank, magnesium wheels, crossplane..feels lightweight AF just being sit on it, those headlights are hideous! Love the ergos.. I can probably can score a left over and spend $$ on goodies. Having such an hard time to pick a damn ride!! haah It is like Hell!!



    Lot of time and money invested in that one!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neCO...FpQMTO3jSB6ksM
    SG fired their sole Aprilia Tech so now have nobody trained on staff to service them so yeah, insane indeed.

    My pal took his to Nikola in Van and had the ECU update done on his '16 Tuono, plus the first service. Even then he tried to use SG (where he bought it) but they "didn't have the right cable" for the ECU update which AF1 form users confirmed should have been done BEFORE the bikes were to be sold. Ugh...

    Google says the Gix is 17lbs lighter than the RSV4 and it feels like more to me. I rode a friends RF 2 summers ago and on our Island roads it was WAY too cumbersome for my liking. The GSXR could be similar, as I said, I only have 350km's on it so far in cool, dirty Fall riding conditions and couldn't go over 7,000rpm.

    ECU flash was a big change power wise, I went from 159 to 185 but that also included a full Yosh - Nels says roughly 175-176 with OEM pipe and flash/tune though so still a solid 16+ ponies from the uncorking.

    Brakes feel totally fine for the street, just a tad more lever travel that I'm used to. Track riding and racing would see an upgrade but that's true for almost every OEM system out there, I've yet to keep that stock for a race bike. Braking on the street for me is a non-issue so that's just a personal thing, it's barely used to scrub off a touch of entry speed and increase contact patch but nowhere near the level of importance versus on track IMO. I'm leaving mine stock that's for sure.

    Suspension - components feel great - I have the base model non-R and if anything it's a touch stiff for our roads. I'll soften it up, set Sag and then likely leave it alone. Again, as a streetbike once I get it in the ballpark I don't worry too much as stock stuff is so good there's no need to upgrade. It never gets worked hard enough to blow through it's adjustment range the way I ride it.

    I got mine in the Fall, it came with a 5 year warranty and a $1,000 Petro Canada gas card plus an insane sticker price (as in less than a current 600cc bike) so I'm stocked - bang for buck it's unbeatable IMO.
    "I'm so mean I make medicine sick!"

    C.C.




  9. #8
    Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    vancouver
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Lion View Post
    I rode a friends RF 2 summers ago and on our Island roads it was WAY too cumbersome for my liking.
    Setup issue perhaps? As we both know, it's generally regarded as one of the lightest handling big bikes.

  10. #9
    track hack Array Young Lion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Island
    Bike
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    Setup issue perhaps? As we both know, it's generally regarded as one of the lightest handling big bikes.
    Great question! Could very well had been setup not to my liking, tires mighta been squared off, etc... It was a quick 25 minute section of tight twisties where I traded bikes with a friend as he wanted to try my bike at the time. I recall being blown away by the power over my '13 Tuono, and only slightly more blown away by how hard it was to transition on tighter sections with it. I got off it thoroughly underwhelmed as a machine where I could make good time on. Every review I've ever read or watched has raved about the chassis but of course those are typically done at GP level tracks and hand picked street sections of Northern Italy or wherever and not our bumpy, pot holed, tarsnaked, camber be damned Island roads.
    "I'm so mean I make medicine sick!"

    C.C.




  11. #10
    Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New West
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Weighing desire against availability, I'd take a hard look at the GSXR, there are some deals to be had on leftover 2018's. Save yourself a lot of cabbage over a new Ape for sure, much of which can be dumped in to mods.

    But if bragging rights, sound, and the excitement of riding a V oriented motor, then wait it out. Buy something now that you can flip in 6 months. I personally would not have a Euro bike in my garage unless I had a Japanese backup bike. That's just me. I go far away from home when I am out and all the Japanese bikes have never failed on me.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

  12. #11
    Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    two feet off the ground..
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Weighing desire against availability, I'd take a hard look at the GSXR, there are some deals to be had on leftover 2018's. Save yourself a lot of cabbage over a new Ape for sure, much of which can be dumped in to mods.
    have you been looking at my google search history? or did you hack into my laptop and saw my desktop pictures over the past 2 months?

    'nough said?

    https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...i-r1000-ryuyo/



    Quote Originally Posted by Badexample View Post
    I get fully erected everytime I hear one live. Love the ergo as well. It is a bred race bike. The left overs go for cheap right now.
    this is what i was trying to explain to dad.. he had not heard of Aprilia till i introduced him to 'em.. and
    he's owned entirely way more bikes than me in his lifetime. I am definitely a big fan of the V4 engine sound..

    i just wish they would put a little more r&d into the body work, its looking dated now
    to be perfectly honest its the only reason i did not buy one a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 02-27-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

  13. #12
    Registered User Array Badexample's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Courtenay
    Bike
    2011 Zx-10r
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    have you been looking at my google search history? or did you hack into my laptop and saw my desktop pictures over the past 2 months?

    'nough said?

    https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...i-r1000-ryuyo/





    this is what i was trying to explain to dad.. he had not heard of Aprilia till i introduced him to 'em.. and
    he's owned entirely way more bikes than me in his lifetime. I am definitely a big fan of the V4 engine sound..

    I just wish they would put a little more r&d into the body work, its looking dated now
    to be perfectly honest its the only reason i did not buy one a couple of years ago.

    The GSX-R is nice but meh looking. I didn't see anybody at the Suzuki booth in 2017 @ the Bike show being overwhelmed by the look of it. LOL. Having said that, I'll probably end up with one! Can't go wrong with the reliability, price and availability of aftermarket parts. Love the sound of it for sure! Totally right on the Ape, looks outdated but like the new 1100 RSV4 in black!
    Headphones are recommended!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_1UO9Zgo8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkAx64z-3yQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4HmwEAL4UE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPejbPzgDHw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWnNZ007wYE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1lAU4gV4c

  14. #13
    Registered User Array Badexample's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Courtenay
    Bike
    2011 Zx-10r
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Weighing desire against availability, I'd take a hard look at the GSXR, there are some deals to be had on leftover 2018's. Save yourself a lot of cabbage over a new Ape for sure, much of which can be dumped in to mods.

    But if bragging rights, sound, and the excitement of riding a V oriented motor, then wait it out. Buy something now that you can flip in 6 months. I personally would not have a Euro bike in my garage unless I had a Japanese backup bike. That's just me. I go far away from home when I am out and all the Japanese bikes have never failed on me.

    Daddy, totally, can't go wrong with the Japs! There is just something sexy about the damn Italians!!! friggin dark side.

  15. #14
    Registered User Array Badexample's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Courtenay
    Bike
    2011 Zx-10r
    Young, awesome info there! Thinking about buying the non-R version as well! I could care less about the BFF forks, rear shock. I can get better results with simple revalve/resprung. Nels at 2WheelDynoWorks ? Cool! Thinking about trying the Rapidbike EVO.. to unleash the beast. I liked the PCV/autotune option in the past wih a reflash. That was perfect.


    Last edited by Badexample; 04-09-2019 at 09:20 PM.

  16. #15
    Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    two feet off the ground..
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by Badexample View Post
    The GSX-R is nice but meh looking. I didn't see anybody at the Suzuki booth in 2017 @ the Bike show being overwhelmed by the look of it. LOL. Having said that, I'll probably end up with one! Can't go wrong with the reliability, price and availability of aftermarket parts. ]
    i think its just meh looking to us old school boys, but as far as a Zook bodywork & their own R&D resulting from wind tunnel testing i'm sure it will perform

    i actually did drool over the R version at the bike shop.. i came back to sit on the Gsxr1K ABS version though, a couple of times.

    I like TALL BIKES!! the R1 got me hooked on that, thus i felt really comfortable on it..

    mind you i think out of all of them the ZX-10R was a PERFECT FIT!
    http://bcusedoil.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •