BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Shopping for a new ride..

26K views 190 replies 17 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Got my arse to the Motorcycle show willing to put downpayment on the new BMW S1000RR. According to the rep from MTL there, Only a few lucky SOB will get their new 2019/2020 RR by June or late August later this year. No thanks. I want to ride ASAP. I am torn between a left over Aprilia RSV4 RR or RF, GSX-argh latest Gen or new Gen R1 from Yamahahaha.

Anybody on here own an APE from 2016+ Any issues? Feeling like gambling buying an Italian Bike. Seems to be a no brainer. ECU reflash, Exhaust, few bits like Rearset, 520 kit, Suspension tune and ET Voila!

Any good suspension tuner in B.C.? Also any good Dyno tuners? thinking about going Rapid Bike module this year.

Thanks a lot!
Fred

#2 ·
have fun whatever you decide to go with.. i've always liked the APES :coffee

friend of mine down under swears by 'em. has owned both RSV4-R Factory (the original), and then a Tuono.. which i dont think he ever sold. its a newer model.

he rides the shit out of his bikes.. only method of transport for a bloody long time :thumbup

#6 ·
have fun whatever you decide to go with.. i've always liked the APES :coffee

friend of mine down under swears by 'em. has owned both RSV4-R Factory (the original), and then a Tuono.. which i dont think he ever sold. its a newer model.

he rides the shit out of his bikes.. only method of transport for a bloody long time :thumbup
I get fully erected everytime I hear one live. Love the ergo as well. It is a bred race bike. The left overs go for cheap right now.:flashy

#3 ·
RSV4 is an amazing machine but on the heavier side of things and even worse, ZERO shops on the Island will service it. A buddy just looked to purchase a used one so called around the local south Island shops as it's due for a valve adjustment and not only will they not do that, they won't touch it for anything - even a damn rubber swap would have to be done with wheels only - he can't ride the bike in and get the swapped. Unbelievable.

If you're okay taking it to Vancouver then that's not an issue (assuming you're still based in Courtenay) however parts and servicing would factor heavily into my decision.

I think the new S1000RR is gonna be an absolute weapon but if I couldn't wait - then for me I'd buy the GSXR. I actually picked one up in the Fall, just had a full Yosh put on, some V2.0 Vortex rearsets, and had it down to see Nels at 2WheelDynoWorks for a reflash and tune. HEALTHY numbers to say the least so I'm looking forward to Spring to get a chance to put some km's on it and see how the chassis is.

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for the feedback and info! It seems like SGPower won't even do a valve adjustment on them! They're such good bikes out of the box but knowledge and support is minimal everywhere. A buddy of mine got a 16 RF and had to "trailer it" to the mainland for a recall and an issue with his dash. That can be a pain in the arse. They had to call AF1 racing (online shop/forum) to fix his dash issue over the phone! Sad! I am looking at other options as well. The new Gixxer comes with a 5 years warranty and there's many left over. Sounds so sweet with the VVT! Comes heavily restricted out of the box. Needs brakes/suspension tweaking. I just have problems with the look of it. It looks like a banana on 2 wheels with that tail? I am trying to convince myself to love it by watching videos on youtube everyday!!!:banghead
haah The new R1 is cool as well, alu tank, magnesium wheels, crossplane..feels lightweight AF just being sit on it, those headlights are hideous! Love the ergos.. I can probably can score a left over and spend $$ on goodies. Having such an hard time to pick a damn ride!! haah It is like Hell!!
:banghead

Lot of time and money invested in that one!

#10 ·
Weighing desire against availability, I'd take a hard look at the GSXR, there are some deals to be had on leftover 2018's. Save yourself a lot of cabbage over a new Ape for sure, much of which can be dumped in to mods.

But if bragging rights, sound, and the excitement of riding a V oriented motor, then wait it out. Buy something now that you can flip in 6 months. I personally would not have a Euro bike in my garage unless I had a Japanese backup bike. That's just me. I go far away from home when I am out and all the Japanese bikes have never failed on me.

#11 · (Edited)
Weighing desire against availability, I'd take a hard look at the GSXR, there are some deals to be had on leftover 2018's. Save yourself a lot of cabbage over a new Ape for sure, much of which can be dumped in to mods.
have you been looking at my google search history? or did you hack into my laptop and saw my desktop pictures over the past 2 months? :laughing :flip

'nough said? :D :coffee

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/suzuki-r1000-ryuyo/

I get fully erected everytime I hear one live. Love the ergo as well. It is a bred race bike. The left overs go for cheap right now.:flashy
this is what i was trying to explain to dad.. he had not heard of Aprilia till i introduced him to 'em.. and
he's owned entirely way more bikes than me in his lifetime. I am definitely a big fan of the V4 engine sound..

i just wish they would put a little more r&d into the body work, its looking dated now
to be perfectly honest its the only reason i did not buy one a couple of years ago.

#14 · (Edited)
Young, awesome info there! Thinking about buying the non-R version as well! I could care less about the BFF forks, rear shock. I can get better results with simple revalve/resprung. Nels at 2WheelDynoWorks ? Cool! Thinking about trying the Rapidbike EVO.. to unleash the beast. I liked the PCV/autotune option in the past wih a reflash. That was perfect.:rider

#17 ·
Young, awesome info there! Thinking about buying the non-R version as well! I could care less about the BFF forks, rear shock. I can get better results with simple revalve/resprung. Nels at 2WheelDynoWorks ? Cool! Thinking about trying the Rapidbike EVO.. to unleash the beast. I liked the PCV/autotune option in the past wih a reflash. That was perfect.:rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRYJWA9Cn0w
With regard to the youtube video of Eric on the Gix - thats with a couple mods more than I have and Eric (EDR) always tunes for race power delivery so very peaky and high strung, great if you're a top 3 Club racer but less than ideal for 99.9% of the general population IMO. I asked Nels to give me smooth, safe, and to increase engine braking a tad - much preferred over going for the Chest Thumping dyno numbers that EDR's shop might produce.

If you get one (or any bike really) and haven't met Nels or been to his shop, I can't recommend them enough. He's been a friend and tuner for the past 10 years and is the BEST in the business and is somewhat local in North Seattle area. He's torn down his personal streetbike motor to get me back out on track on race day, helped numerous other pals out, and knows more about tuning bikes than anyone else I've seen or heard of. Forgetting all that, he's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet and most genuine.

As for the V4 Ape - NOTHING sounds as good as that motor flowing through a quality exhaust IMO and if I wasn't such a practical (aka cheap as fuck) person I'd have gone for one of those cheap leftovers as well but as mentioned, ZERO Island support, insane wait times on parts/warranty issues, and my one minor test ride left me not feeling the Euro love.

#25 ·
And BTW...........most japanese bikes are Meh looking........mine included. The older you get the less you care about curb appeal
Speaking about the older you get...

My Penticton friend Old Gixxer got his lastest non-current GSXR 1000 when a dealer called him last year and like the God Father. 'Made him an offer he couldn't refuse'

#28 · (Edited)
I contacted Pierobonframes because I was curious about pricing for frame (not shown on website) for the Ducati 1299.. https://www.pierobonframes.com/

Proper sexy!!!!!:flashy

Ciao Frederic,

in attached you find the price list.

Here you find some technical informations.

The parts streeclty necessary to mount the trellis frame are:

Frame

Headstock inserts

Front frame holder

Rear subframe, available for standard or increased fuel tank

Fuel tank holder

Screws for fuel tank

Airbox

Airduct

Footpegs

Left elctronic holder

Right elctronic holder

A second step is modify your fuel tank, increasing the capacity of 2L.

A third step is add the winglets to your bodywork.

The basic kit has similar geometries of the original bike. We have only change a little bit the rake angle and so the trail, but the weight distribution not change.

Our target is give back the typical sensations of trellis frame and we want that the bike communicated the front wheel limit , so we worked on the torsional and the lateral stiffness of the frame, to give to the rider more confidence on the front side.

After, if you want ,with upgrades, you can radical change the geometry and weight distribution of bike, for example with longer swingarm, steering bushes and fuel tank upgrade.

In case, we can also modify the orginal swingarm, increasing of 30 mm:

https://www.pierobonframes.com/en/product/swingarm-30/

Here you can find other info and pictures of the kit:

https://www.pierobonframes.com/en/bikes/pierobon-x85r-en/

If you need other informations, we are here.

Best regards

#29 ·
Tommy Bridewell from the BSB Series came over and raced one of the X85R's at Barber last year and did reasonably well on it.

Sexy machine for those where dollars don't matter. Personally I'd go the Kramer route once they release the 790 twin version later this year.

#43 ·
you're not alone in your opinion of the BMW, but get in line. I was told at the show by a person who would know that they had TWO DOZEN deposits in hand at that point, Friday, first day of the show, way back in January. and almost all of them were the M model. and half of those were from people who had M class BMW cars, and were 'complementing' the car with the bike... who says branding doesn't work!

#48 ·
I know, its totally absurd.. there are folks who have bought the early models and for the most part they keep braggin
about how great the stupid thing is.. That is, great if it hasnt blown up YET! :coffee

i dont geddit, and yes you are correct 25k plus tax for an R1M!!!! i'm guessing the 3-4k increase in price will pay
for the shortfall resulting from having to replace every fvcking gearbox in the planet :laughing

you see how fvcking clean those pistons are? thats because the stupid thing only had 2800 miles on its odo :tredmill
Islamic engines? They blow themselves up!

#51 · (Edited)
#65 ·
The success that Spies on the '09 R1 was much more about his talent than it was about the R1 that's for sure. Damn thing is a turd in all but full blown SB spec - in SS trim or less it was heavy, flexy, and WAY underpowered.

My buddy who raced with me had an '09 - stock engine just a flash, tune, full Yosh system, and on pump gas it made a whopping 155hp (down 10 on my '05 GIK), and weighed 37lbs more.

Sounded heavenly though that's for damn sure!

#68 ·
New BMW in action in Estoril.

BMW’s screaming 999cc inline four never lacked top end power, but the new slimmer, lighter-cranked motor revs harder and faster, head butting its redline with the savage alacrity of a pukka superbike engine.
The way it dispenses with straights, with a strange kind of violent calm, is a sign that few of its rivals, if any, will get close on the drag out of a corner. A lighter crank, hollowed-out intake valves and lary high rev inlet valve timing, helps it to a claimed 204bhp – stick a full race pipe on a you’re looking at over 215bhp.
With all its power stuffed at the top of the revs, the previous RR was a peaky devil, like a big supersport 600, but not any more. BMW’s new variable valve timing system (Shift Cam) laces the power curve with the kind of mid-range grunt and broad spread of power that would make a V4 proud, especially between 4300rpm and 8000rpm.
Beneath the Shift Cam’s 9000rpm go-mental-threshold, BMW’s monster motor has a newfound level of smoothness and tractability, which can only be good news for S1000RR on the road.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/bmw/s1000rr/2019/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.