Anybody upgraded their forks?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody upgraded their forks?

Registered User Array Porschenut's Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Anybody upgraded their forks?

I have a set of Ohlins NIX 30 cartridges coming and I'm going to pair them with a set of Ohlins springs.

How did you go about selecting your spring rate and what kind of difference did you feel compared to your stock suspension?

I have Showa BPF forks and they're already pretty good in stock form but I blew a fork seal and upgrading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    I did Andreani internals in my Sachs separate function forks.
    I stayed with the stock spring rate, and went off of the oil recommendations that came from Andreani.
    They're more plush than the stock internals, all while feeling more planted and confidence inspiring.
    win-win.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    i will likely be upgrading to Ohlins NIX 30 on my R1, assuming i have any money left after the engine work.

i run Ohlins Fork Piston kit currently on stock forks and i went with RaceTech springs.
    Ohlins FPK is an affordable option / offers improvement over stock, but the NIX CARTS are on another level entirely.

if i'm not mistaken there are recommendations out there for every bike there is, i would imagine there is a calculator similar to RT's own website?

Best bet is to contact The Thermosman if you want a true expert's opinion

he helped me out in the past when i had questions regarding the big black art of suspension tuning.

here's a pretty damn good start: its right in par with what i have found on RT fork springs

Ohlins Fork Springs For 30MM Cartridge Kit

Spring Rate Recommendations For Rider Weight With Gear. Ideally you want to run as soft a spring as possible, but be careful with the pogo stick effect

145 lbs to 160 lbs 9.0/9.0 Nmm
    150 lbs to 175 lbs 9.0/9.5 Nmm
    175 lbs to 195 lbs 9.5/9.5 Nmm
    185 lbs to 200 lbs 9.5/10.0 Nmm
    195 lbs to 220 lbs 10.0/10.0 Nmm
    210 lbs to 235 lbs 10.0/10.5 Nmm
    230 lbs to 255 lbs 10.5/10.5 Nmm
    245 lbs to 270 lbs 10.5/11.0 Nmm
    above 260 lbs 11.0/11.0 Nmm
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-08-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R
    Right on! I appreciate the spring table. I couldn't find an Ohlins one online. Racetech has theirs of course but I've been told that it produces rates that can be a little too high.

Interesting comment about the Ohlins piston kit that you're running. I couldn't find any such kit from Ohlins when searching and was seriously considering an Andreani piston kit which would've save me a ton over Ohlins cartridges. I probably would've gone with an Ohlins piston kit if I knew it was an option. Maybe they just don't make one for my fork. I also considered an Andreani cartridge kit but it felt wrong because my bike already has an Ohlins steering damper and I want to unify the entire suspension with an Ohlins shock down the road.

I'm having trouble envisioning a more plush feel while at the same time feeling more planted but I'm pretty excited to experience it! I always upgrade the suspension on my cars and I'm so used to stiffer being more predictable.

Bike
    hey no worries, you can thank BAYSIDE performance for that one.. they have OHLINS packages on sale, NIX 30mm Carts & GPShock at a pretty good deal.

I have discussed it at length with boys who take their bikes to the track and you're better off with the carts.. maintenance ease is one of the big
    reasons of course, but apparently the Fork Piston Kit wouldnt get you out of novice on yer average eastern usa tracks.

I have seen them available for a few bikes, i'm not sure what year your ZX10R is..

These little puppies are awaesome! its all in the valving, adjustment range will double compared to stock

i personally bought it 'cause a good friend of mine found out regarding its 'limitations' after purchasing, then found a deal on full on forks.

I dont mind them at all on the street, and i have also upgraded to a RT Gold-Valve on the rear shock.

in regards to the springs, with ohlins carts you have no choice, need to run ohlins springs. But the RT springs are manufactured
    by EIBACH, which is the best spring manufacturer in the world, you are probably familiar with them coming from the 4 wheeled side of things..

what you described is exactly what you get, way more plush and compliant, smooth while being razor sharp and offers a planted feel..
    Predictability is how we can push our bikes the way we do, you just know exactly where the front end is at all times and know that
    'ohh fvck' line has been moved way the fvck out into an area you are less likely to venture into, at least on the street.

but like i said, you should do your research via Thermosman, he'll be able to tell you weather a certain spring will work for your weight,
    calculators are just that.. the numbers can lie to you, I had the same trouble with my R1 at 1st, springs i was recommended were too soft
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Bike
    edit on above: just caught you're on an 2013, i dont see them listed for your bike.. probably 'cause they're BPF Forks..

Superbike Unlimited has them listed for the 08-10 zx10R, and zx14R '12 to '14..

i did see the Andreani piston kit for the 2011-? ZX10R but it only offers compression damping.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-09-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
    I also considered an Andreani cartridge kit but it felt wrong because my bike already has an Ohlins steering damper and I want to unify the entire suspension with an Ohlins shock down the road.
    Mine is Andreani forks, Ohlins shock, Sachs Steering damper. All of the were the best bang for the buck option. As long as both ends can be matched for your weight, riding style, and road then i dont think the brand matters.
    Lots of great options out there other than Ohlins, and almost all of them dont have the Ohlins maintenance demands/needs.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Look at Nitron.........out of the UK (not their US dealers). Ohlins spec, cheaper (or same price and better specs). Ship direct to you door.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Dave Moss has done a long term review of Nitron's rear shock.. likely other components as well. Thanks!!

even provided recommended settings for the 09 R1

Last edited by bacchus40; 03-10-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R
    To be honest, I wanted the Ohlins products for the bling factor. People recognize the brand and I know I can always get service and re-sell it later on down the road. I've read great things about Nitron and if they had more presence in N. America I would've seriously considered them.

I'm not familiar with Thermosman but I've been taking my bike to RMR every couple years to get the suspension dialed in and I'll get them to put the fork together for me.

Bike
    Mike Fitzgerald aka Thermosman = https://www.thermosman.com/our-digits

Ohlins USA Road-Race manager back in the day

Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald left the employ of Öhlins USA Inc. somewhere around April 1, 2011. (I don't remember the exact date) He is once again operating Thermosman Suspension as an independent dealer of suspension products. He can be reached at 770-500-6445.

the boys with Ohlins products send theirs to Mike for rebuilds and he's always available for a good chat, advice.

he helped me tune my FPK Ohlins valves with some great advice, even provided a couple of shims for free!!
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
    To be honest, I wanted the Ohlins products for the bling factor. People recognize the brand and I know I can always get service and re-sell it later on down the road. I've read great things about Nitron and if they had more presence in N. America I would've seriously considered them.

I'm not familiar with Thermosman but I've been taking my bike to RMR every couple years to get the suspension dialed in and I'll get them to put the fork together for me.

takes a lot these days for a vancouver rider to come out and say that kind of thing.

Bike
    nothing wrong with bling.. i dont think it makes much of a difference in the long run really.. if you're new to the game
    it may sway you one way or the other but for the rest of us. High end suspension is exactly that

i have heard some very good things regarding Nitrons R2 shock.

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Another supporter of Nitron. Was very happy with mine, very well built, plush, and well thought-out bits and bobs. Cheaper than an Ohlins with similar specs as well. Also consider that they're a UK brand, and so there may be a chance that your money will go further in the near future if ordering direct...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    nothing wrong with bling.. i dont think it makes much of a difference in the long run really.. if you're new to the game
    it may sway you one way or the other but for the rest of us. High end suspension is exactly that

i have heard some very good things regarding Nitrons R2 shock.
    im not saying it's bad... and i do love bling.. but most people like to stand behind it and say it's oem or the best, moto gp uses it etc... but i reckon most people do it for the reasons he says.. cuz it's yellow and people will look at it, know it and like it..

and like you said.. at the end of the day they are pretty much the same. but i prefer the niche bling.