BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Dianese X-ile Glove finger wear

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Leiwun 
#1 ·
I've had these gloves for 4 years, so I suppose I should not complain, but fact is they didn't get worn that much... I have another pair I wear for most of my commuting and touring. The thin leather on the sides of the fingers is always gonna be the weak spot on a sport glove, and I suppose there is nothing to be done about it, eh? Looks to me like this is the result of the fingers rubbing against each other, and it's no surprise it's the left hand, cuz there's far more motion using the clutch with that hand than the right. But does anyone have any tricks for 'reinforcing' this area when the glove is new, so it'll withstand the use longer - the rest of both gloves is in excellent condition, so this is frustrating! (Maybe a light coating of some shoo-goo like substance?)

20190323_152918 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

See less See more
#9 ·
interesting you should mention that. my commuting / general touring glove is a Held Sparrow, which I bought for only $70 at Vanc BMW / Ducati three years back. I have about 25,000 kms on them, and they show NO wear at all. ( minor scuffing on the back of one from when I went skittering in Utah a couple springs ago...) simple gloves, with no plastic or carbon, etc, but great leather, good padding, impeccible construction, excellent security, and day-long comfort. not going to be wearing out the inside of the finger boxes on those!

#7 ·
#8 ·
^^^ great tip. looks like a good glove, and the price is incredible! what did you do to determine correct sizing?

#14 · (Edited)
I wear medium everything and given the low price, I just took a chance and they fit a little tight but stretched out. I figured that if they didn't fit I could always re-sell them on craigs and not lose anything.

The only knock that I have for these gloves is that the soft side of the Velcro seems to be puffing up faster than with my other gloves. However, bulk Velcro is available at any fabric store and I figure I'll remove the soft side and ShoeGoo a new patch onto the gauntlet if it becomes a problem.

#10 ·
I just wore a favourite of mine, a set of Rev-it summer leather/Gore-Tex short gloves. As mentioned above, I’m getting tired of investing serious money into brand name gloves, they wear out just as quick. Have to admit, I must have 15 pair, of every category. My go to right now, for really cold, my old Widder electric gauntlets, spring and summer, I’ve bought an $18 Cycle Gear vented armoured leather shorties from their giant bin at their front door. The things work great, fine dexterity, holding great after a full season last year.

Still have my very 1st set of gloves from 40 years ago, Watson gauntlets, would like to get them rebuilt, somehere, using the original rear section, which must be made of hardwood-moose leather hybrid.

#15 ·
it's actually your acidic sweat that breaks it down. My racing gloves always go this way, and not from crashing. The sweat just kills the leather eventually.

#16 ·
FYI fellas, my gloves always come apart at the stitching instead of wearing through the leather. Maybe it's because I have slim fingers and the contact between fingers is minimized or perhaps it's because I always treat my leather with mink oil to make the gloves water resistant (rainy commuting).

Maybe you guys could try mink oil on your gloves since it's a great leather conditioner and it likely protects against acidity too.

#18 · (Edited)
so, after all this debate, and with the seemingly attractive option of cheap pair of decent looking sport gloves on the table, I blundered into Modern Motorcycling last weekend to get a new tire mounted... and there on the wall, whispering my name, were a single pair of Held Steve Classics, in size 9, my fit! so after a brief ' can you do any better' on price, I bought 'em! and they are superb in every way... excellent materials. lovely fit. comfort. da da da... I'm sure I'm gonna be a happy camper for the next several years!

https://shop.held.de/en/ladies/glov...love-steve-classic?c=444&number=002215-00.1.6

#22 ·
so, after all this debate, and with the seemingly attractive option of cheap pair of decent looking sport gloves on the table, I blindered into Modern Motorcycling last weekend to get a new tire mounted... and there on the wall, whsipering my name, were a single pair of Held Steve Classics, in size 9, my fit! so after a brief ' can you do any better' on price, I bought 'em! and they are superb in every way... excellent materials. lovely fit. comfort. da da da... I'm sure I'm gonna be a happy cvanper for the next several years!
I've got those! Tough yet comfortable kangaroo leather and as a bonus you've now got your own little personal squeegee finger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.