Buying bike from Alberta without being there (escrow & shipping)

Thread: Buying bike from Alberta without being there (escrow & shipping)

Bike
    2018 MT-07

Buying bike from Alberta without being there (escrow & shipping)

Getting back into bikes and looking at one in Alberta right now. I won't be able to check it out in person before buying which I'm fine with as it's essentially brand new and I will have a skype call to go over a couple things.

I've contacted a shipper and am all good on that front, only question is how to go about payment. I figure I have two options - escrow via a lawyer/notary, or trying to find a dealership that will buy the bike and I buy from them.

Wondering if anyone else has gone through this or similar and has any idea how the escrow would work/cost, or if there's a better idea that I'm missing. Flying/driving out and riding it back isn't really an option due to a bad back sadly

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    i purchased my chopper from Edmonton.. flew out there, and rode it back home. Registered & paid GST once back in BC.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    04 SV650
    You mentioned driving ther and back isnt an option due to bad back. What about taking a car and renting a uhaul trailer for 2 days and trailering bike back? There is also PayPal route as well. Could work, and it does give you some protection as well. I used it before for private purchases like these, but not anywhere close to the value of a bike though.

Bike
    2018 MT-07
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    You mentioned driving ther and back isnt an option due to bad back. What about taking a car and renting a uhaul trailer for 2 days and trailering bike back? There is also PayPal route as well. Could work, and it does give you some protection as well. I used it before for private purchases like these, but not anywhere close to the value of a bike though.
    Forgot about paypal - that could work. I think there fees are percentage based and thus might be fairly steep here but def worth looking into - thanks

Bike
    i should say in my case the bike was brand new and i purchased from a dealer.. went through my bank for the $$..
    they called directly and spoke with the dealer's bank who helped clearing the transaction.. had no problems at all.

but yeah if its a used bike, and source is not a business entity i dont know if I would go through it...

i deal face to face for those types of purchases, trust nobody.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    It must be a special bike for a really low price. Long distance deals are hard to pull off. I shudder when I get long distance inquiries about a bike for sale. Good luck.

Btw paypal is real expensive. They charge or used to charge 10%.

Bike
    agreed on above comment..

in my case the deal was a no-brainer.. I actually called the dealer to verify if I was looking at all the correct information.

It was an S model for a very sought after Year due to color, options after a model re-design.

It was rather funny actually, as I had to make said decision in 15 minutes... i arranged for deposit during the 1st cold call.

Sales rep called me back to arrange full payment on a saturday as agreed, apparently another BC resident
    called regarding the EXACT same bike not 20 minutes after i had made the original deposit.. I knew exactly what i was looking at never blinked.

he got stuck with the NON-S model and was responsible for another 500 bucks in savings on my end!! 1st come 1st served
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-28-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Bike
    2018 MT-07
    Ended up testing a MT-07 and enjoyed it more than the Ninja I was looking at in Alberta (tested a local one).

Bought a brand new MT today

Bike
    04 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
    Ended up testing a MT-07 and enjoyed it more than the Ninja I was looking at in Alberta (tested a local one).

Congrats!

Bike

this is how these things go

congrats! yeh man. its a rough winter out there, thats a pain to bring a bike back across

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

great choice. seems like Yamaha really ticked the boxes on both the MT07 and 09. you're gonna have a superb summer!
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2018 MT-07
    Thanks!

Gotta find some gear now. Last time I was riding, modern motorcycles was the place to go for deals on gear. Is that still the case? Where else is good that's open on Sundays?

I hear east side Re-Rides is good, gonna check them out but looking for other options as well

Bike
    Ninja1k
    When I bought a bike from alberta it was relatively simple. Called a dealer and setup a presale inspection, done. Put a reverse auction on uship. Shipper showed up, I got a bank# from the owner, walked into local branch of his bank here and deposited the money, shipper leaves with my bike.

I wouldnt exactly say it was stressfree but thats how I did it.

Dealers will have nothing to do with being a middleman. Buy from them or nothing.