SENA 30K or CARDO Packtalk Slim - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SENA 30K or CARDO Packtalk Slim

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    jesus christ, you really have no fucking clue about what you're talking about.

With over a decade in software development, i can tell you that this simply is not the fucking case.
    These are incremental changes with feature additions and changes. The code base is staying almost entirely the same. We're talking 1% changes of core code.
    1% would be max I'd guess.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    So now I have to figure this out. It's been hinted that I may be getting a set of comms for Father's Day next month. At the same time good friends who we ride with most often if we ride with others just told us they're going to order a set of senas, not even sure what model they're thinking yet. Sooo. Do I convince them to go with cardos? *Or do we just go with senas if that's what they order? *I'm having a hard time with this. *I've never listened to music while riding and don't really know if I would. So I don't know if something more than a basic model has any value to me. But if I was going to listen to music than I'm curious if the jbl cardos would be worth the upgrade?

I lost my wife on our first outing of the year this past week so now she's really wanting us to get setup. Usually we have no issue as I'll wait at turns for her, and we were doing a small local loop that we've done countless times before. But it seems I underestimated my wife's ability to miss a turn/forget a route. I'm guessing that with the amount of distance I put between us at times that the cardo units that seamlessly re pair will be worth it. I never had to deal with that ever when I had my senas for treework as mostly it was fairly close quarters, just a noisy environment.*
    I'm seeing my best pricing I can find on f9. Anyone have any other suggestions?*

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    Yes, REPUTABLE companies do improve things with firmware.
    thats where the post should have ended.. and as far as I was gonna go..

from what i've seen on forums and spoken with some folks, the little issues most love to bitch about have been addressed at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    This explains sooooooooo much.
    put your junk away, nobody cares..

i guess i must deal with proper engineers then because for the most part a major firmware upgrade in our business
    does address 'major' issues while adding functionality, Specially when dealing with communication issues,. enabling previously unavailable features, etc.

well aware the over all actual coding work is less than it seems..

but hey, next time you get stuck in an elevator or cant gain access to any one of a thousand buildings in town.. dont bother calling.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 05-10-2019 at 11:22 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    At the same time good friends who we ride with most often if we ride with others just told us they're going to order a set of senas, Do I convince them to go with cardos? *Or do we just go with senas if that's what they order? I've never listened to music while riding and don't really know if I would. But if I was going to listen to music than I'm curious if the jbl cardos would be worth the upgrade?

I'm guessing that with the amount of distance I put between us at times that the cardo units that seamlessly re pair will be worth it.
    I'm seeing my best pricing I can find on f9. Anyone have any other suggestions?*
    Ok, well "What your riding buddies use" should be the #1 criteria for choosing which system you use. Regardless of what some may say, SENA/Cardo do not play well together. I think it would be worth a chat with them to see if they have a preference or not. If they don't, then I would choose Cardo.

Music is secondary, bike to bike communications is the priority. Being able to re-connect without having to touch a button is VERY beneficial. I'm not sure how old you are, or what your hearing is like, but I personally cannot do speakers. I just cannot hear anything over 100km/hr. I just have to use custom molded in-ear speakers.

Best price does appear to be Fortnine.

If all you want is good solid communications on a budget, buy a case of Sena SMH10's. You can find them for about $100 used. But, make sure the base unit has the boom mic setup not the wired button mic, Big difference.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Thanks for that input. My hearing is marginal at best my wife would say but checks out a-ok through my work for a 44 year old. But. My bike is loud too with the Coffman shorty on it. And my helmet is crappy and noisy. So I'm guessing that music will be more like a little background noise, maybe enjoyable for lower speeds.*

I have one question about the cardos. I don't think I'd spring for the jbl speakers from what I've researched but I'm curious too what the difference is between the packtalk and the packtalk bold if anyone has any insight on that?

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Thanks for that input. My hearing is marginal at best my wife would say but checks out a-ok through my work for a 44 year old. But. My bike is loud too with the Coffman shorty on it. And my helmet is crappy and noisy. So I'm guessing that music will be more like a little background noise, maybe enjoyable for lower speeds.*

I have one question about the cardos. I don't think I'd spring for the jbl speakers from what I've researched but I'm curious too what the difference is between the packtalk and the packtalk bold if anyone has any insight on that?
    Packtalk bold has a better speech recognition engine. If you don't plan on using voice commands a lot (I don't), the normal packtalk is good enough. As CDG had mentioned, in-ear monitors are the way to go for hearing protection and audio fidelity, no need for JBL's.

Bike
    ZX14

I personally use foam earplugs with helmet speakers, did for 10yrs of Sena and do now with Cardo Pactalk (non Bold), works perfect, but I guess varies based
    on hearing and most importantly, EXACT speaker placement in helmet. No experience with new JBL speakers and not sure if just hype for music fidelity or if they
    offer any substantially quantifiable advantage in regular chat volume/clarity.....guessing not.

One thing most who ride in any groups can attest to, when you start to use a comm device more and more and realize the many benefits, it's actually hard to ride
    with your buds without, total necessity for me, love it and have gone to the length in the past of even having a backup device, like it that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Cool. I think I'm going to push the cardo units, see if our friends will go that way. For me the real deal breaker is the seamless re-pairing. I feel like that alone is going to be worth it's weight in gold for my wife and I when we ride together which is most of our riding. Also if I'm following correctly it's not that pricey to get a second pair of mounts with speakers and mic so I could set up our dirt helmets too.*

Thanks again for the input. *
    Last edited by Squisher; 05-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Well I ordered the scala packtalk non bolds. We'll see how it pans out.*

Bike
    ZX14
    The fact that you are using it with wife, the auto pairing in mesh advantage is a real treat.

Basically hit power and away you go, imagine it will work quite well for you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Congrats on the smart move! You should be quite happy with that purchase. Luckily you will not have to find out what a load of crap the Sena devices are.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Thanks. I did as previously mentioned in this thread own some smh10's wired into hardhats and earmuffs for treework and found them to work well. But never used any of the newer sena stuff.*

Just got them yesterday and the install into our helmets was simple enough. Tried them out in the living room and so far so good. The wife was somewhat confused/concerned with the the streaming volume changes in correlation with the conversation. I think it's great to be able to talk and still hear the music. I'm looking forward to road testing them over the next few days. Pretty crappy weather on the forecast here and I'm working the whole long weekend too though so may not happen for a day or two. I didn't buy these for their waterproofness lol. I hate riding in the rain. *While I never thought much about riding with music I'm really looking forward to it now. *I am slightly worried about the 'psych' factor as I like harder tunes. Even in my 40's I don't need any extra encouragement lol. But still I think it's going to be enjoyable.*

I am concerned a bit with the mic sensitivity and hope that road, bike, or other noise doesn't constantly activate the comms, but I haven't actually used them on the road yet so not sure if that will be a actual issue or not. By the lack of mention of it here and elsewhere I've researched I'm guessing not, but just in the living room it seemed very easy to activate the comms with ambient noise?

*Oddly enough our friends have 'researched ' a bunch and are going with senas, still not sure I think a older cheaper model like the 10's. Soooo, I pushed as much as I could but at some point people have to make their own mistakes right? **

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    congrats on the purchase.

there is a mic sensitivity setting in the app (or configurable on the web page)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Excellent, good to know there's adjustment. I did download the app but must have missed that option somehow. I'll look again. But I figured I'd ride with it some first as it is and then fine tune it.*

I've never ridden with a phone mounted to my handlebar or anything either. I'm figuring that it may become convenient though now with this packtalk. *Curious somewhat if that's legal with all the cellphone laws here in BC now? *I'm assuming so but figured I'd ask. It seems my luck is running out this year. I got a fix it ticket for no front plate on my truck(bought it out of Alberta five years ago and never have had a mount for one). *And have had a couple of other real close calls with disastrous fines this spring. I'll be rereading the radar detector thread as it's time to gear up a bit. I heard from a co-worker there is a zero tolerance enforcement blitz this weekend in the okanagan. *

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    The App is far from intuitive. It's pretty much used for settings, then you hardly ever need to touch it. No need to have it THAT handy that you need a handlebar mount.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!