SENA 30K or CARDO Packtalk Slim
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SENA 30K or CARDO Packtalk Slim

Registered User Array SliderZ33's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 Kawasaki ZX9R

SENA 30K or CARDO Packtalk Slim

Been a long time since I have posted here but was wondering what everyone's thoughts on these two units would be? Pro's, con's to both etc. I have always just used earbuds for music and never used any comms when on my bike. I am planning on doing a few group rides this summer so I was wondering what everyone else is using. I have heard the Cardo Slim is the way to go as the price is the same give or take $10. I am leaning towards the Cardo just wanted peoples input.

Thanks

SliderZ33

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    swapped from Sena to Cardo and will never use another sena unit again. Cardo is way fucking superior. That said, these things do not play well together. If you friends that you will connect with have Cardo, then go Cardo. If your friends are on Sena, get them to switch to Cardo.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Bike
    dont play well as in it's a pain in the ass or.. just doesnt work?

Bike
    2000 Kawasaki ZX9R
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    swapped from Sena to Cardo and will never use another sena unit again. Cardo is way fucking superior. That said, these things do not play well together. If you friends that you will connect with have Cardo, then go Cardo. If your friends are on Sena, get them to switch to Cardo.
    Awesome thank you!! I heard they struggle working together but I want something that just works. Appreciate the info.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    i've heard this as well.. unfortunately getting others to switch from SENA is an uphill battle.

In my case I chose to go with a Schuberth Helmet and the new SC2 integrated comm. units are being shipped out, I believe the 1st round
    of pre-release units have already been sent to its owners. Its a system made by Sena in conjunction with Schueberth via use of the S20
    chipset / architecture. I have 3 to 4 riding friends and they all use a Sena system. They've seemed happy with the units and though i'm
    sure there's always improvements going about which makes others stand out, i dont think tossing 'em into the bin is a viable solution

i just went on Cardo's website hoping to find they've got examples on how to fit onto a Schuberth.

Schuberth is not even listed under helmet compatibility!!

so, uhhm... integrated comms. direct from Sena specifically for my helmet (which is compatible with all my friends')
    or fvck around to no end trying to fit a square peg on a round hole

and none of my friends will switch to Cardo

Quote Originally Posted by HighZoot View Post
    dont play well as in it's a pain in the ass or.. just doesnt work?
    agreed, need way more details.. hopefully non-biased
    Last edited by bacchus40; 04-14-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    2000 Kawasaki ZX9R
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    i've heard this as well.. unfortunately getting others to switch from SENA is an uphill battle.

In my case I chose to go with a Schuberth Helmet and the new SC2 integrated comm. units are being shipped out, I believe the 1st round
    of pre-release units have already been sent to its owners. Its a system made by Sena in conjunction with Schueberth via use of the S20
    chipset / architecture. I have 3 to 4 riding friends and they all use a Sena system. They've seemed happy with the units and though i'm
    sure there's always improvements going about which makes others stand out, i dont think tossing 'em into the bin is a viable solution

i just went on Cardo's website hoping to find they've got examples on how to fit onto a Schuberth.

Schuberth is not even listed under helmet compatibility!!

so, uhhm... integrated comms. direct from Sena specifically for my helmet (which is compatible with all my friends')
    or fvck around to no end trying to fit a square peg on a round hole

and none of my friends will switch to Cardo
    LOL ya I don't have any friends that ride anymore so literally just me haha. Kind of a lone wolf I guess. I have been looking at these two units for a while now and everything seems to point to cardo as being more reliable but I guess it just depends if I end up riding in a group or if I continue on my own which one I would end up getting. I also could just stick to my earbuds I guess.

Bike
    ^^

this is something that continues to perplex me in regards to these fancy comm systems..
    if you dont ride with anybody, there's not much actual comms. going on is there?

Said argument is also another reason to go with the integrated system designed around my C4 Schuberth
    We do find sometimes its just two of us but when i'm alone i dont want to have to deal with
    'other solutions' being the speakers / mic and all wiring is already in place from the factory in my helmet.

if i'm riding alone, there's nobody to pair up with.. i'll just run my required media through the integrated setup and call it a day.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Count me in as another long time Sena user who has switched to Cardo, and will likely never switch back.

and on topic, i only know of two riders who picked up the 30K, and both returned it. Both had poor battery life, and numerous other issues.

Bike
    interesting to hear of the problems with the 30k..

just did a little more research and it appears the SC2 Schuberth comm's units may not be available till end of year, early next.

i guess the whole 'pre-order' process did not have an actual delivery date early on, though some pages bragged about spring of this year.

i'll have to see how things go, i still want to stay away from an external system due to the internal visor and its adjuster's position on left side of lid.

Bike
    2000 Kawasaki ZX9R
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    Count me in as another long time Sena user who has switched to Cardo, and will likely never switch back.

and on topic, i only know of two riders who picked up the 30K, and both returned it. Both had poor battery life, and numerous other issues.
    Well I think I am going to order the Cardo Packtalk Slim Duo. That way I can have one in both my helmets. I just keep hearing all these issues with the SENA like volume cutting out, poor battery life, faulty systems in general. The Cardo has rave reviews and seems to have the better quality and the big factor is that it is actually water proof not water resistant like the SENA. The only thing is that supposedly Cardo has paired with JBL and those usits wont be available till May so I will wait till then and see what comes out I guess.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by SliderZ33 View Post
    The only thing is that supposedly Cardo has paired with JBL and those usits wont be available till May so I will wait till then and see what comes out I guess.
    They started shipping last week.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    yup to the above. Cardo and Sena do not play well together. they can be paired, but both in phone mode, which eliminates pairing to your phone for both. ask the Bartender and I how we know...

Attachment 143972

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...a_20s_pairing/
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    just chatting up with 1 of 3 or 4 friends who run SENA.

it seems her only gripe is with battery life (s10), one of our riding buddies finds the mic makes his voice sound like
    he's riding in a tin-can.. I just got confirmation my best friend is running the next model up, the 20S. I will discuss
    this with him. Some gripes i've heard of in the past are with pairing but both admit its a user error more than anything.

*just got off the phone with him, yes he's got the 20S SENA and is perfectly happy with it..
    afaik it does what he wants which is to communicate with others in our group when riding,
    mostly due to the added safety factor. He confirmed battery life is just fine.

looks like i'm sticking with plans to get the SC2 Schuberth dedicated system when it does come out. Talk Time of 14 hours.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 04-15-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Bike
    ZX14
    I'll echo SnoDragon's comments.....the new Cardo Packtalk with mesh is much better than the old BT Sena units.

It does not take much googling to find out that Sena's late to the game attempt at mesh with the 30K has been troublesome.

I'd used Sena for 10yrs and ridden tens of thousands of kms using them with riding buds, great units overall, but like all tech,
    there comes a time to upgrade and the Cardo units proved the leaders in the next gen units.

This all said, the above relates specifically to my experience pairing with a group and riding with others. If you are a solo rider
    and only want unit for basic phone/music, I would suggest saving your $$ and getting a more basic Sena.

If you are the last to get on board with a comm unit and your typical riding buds all have Sena with no appetite to change,
    get Sena.

I use mine with groups and paired to my radar detector for in-ear notifications, works great for both and the new mesh tech
    they offer is worlds better than BT in every way......seamless reconnect while riding if connection lost (100% automatic) and
    once you pair with your riding buds, assuming you don't change people often, auto connect with them each time as well.

If you're a long time Sena user, like any new tech, small learning curve, but I think 5 of us upgraded from Sena to Cardo last
    season and we're all starting to get the hang of it.

I did not get the smaller Slim model, bought typical Packtalk, now Bold......I wanted all the buttons and scroll wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Accelerus Maximus Array RubHerDown's Avatar
    Bike
    70 CT 70
    I have used Sena SMH10 with a Sena BT Hub (SM10)
    for more than a decade

Works perfectly with my detector into my headset,
    GPS for tunes, etc

Clarity is generally more a function of microphone
    placement, I have found, rather than performance
    of the unit - though I am not a big fan of riding
    around hearing all the chit chat...

Plenty of studies showing that being on the phone
    (or radio chatting) produces the same level of
    driving distraction, be it hands free, or otherwise

Battery life has never been an issue, and has lasted
    fine on lots of 12+ hour days on the bike

Have also used the slimmer Sena version on ADV bikes
    and those have performed the same, but with less
    battery life

My detector (though still one of the best at early
    detection) is getting long in the tooth and not dealing
    with all the collison avoidance systems very effectively
    (so many false alerts), so just looking into a different
    set up - so good info
    Live each day like it is your last,
    like you will never get another chance...

One day it will be, and you will not.