SENA 30K or CARDO Packtalk Slim - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SENA 30K or CARDO Packtalk Slim

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by HighZoot View Post
    dont play well as in it's a pain in the ass or.. just doesnt work?
    If you want to pair using "universal" communications, someone has to give up the "phone" connection. that means that you cannot have your phone paired to either a Sena or a Cardo, as the universal communications uses a phone connection as universal. One of the units emulates a phone BT connection and you connect that way.

So think about that...

you bought a unit so you can have phone/music/maps in your ears. bonus is that you can talk to other riders. want to talk to someone on a different system? No problem, give up phone calls/music/maps and you can talk to them. What is the range of BT to a phone? Well, typically a phone is a BT class 2 device. You get 10M or 33'. How many bikes do you know that maintain a 33' distance when riding? Yeah, I'd go on a limb and call that "just doesn't work", but hey, if you had someone on the back seat, then it will work just fine between the 2 different units.

Sena communications with more than 2 units are subject to the following:
    Noisy microphones
    popcorn/sizzling/popping sounds at random intervals in most peoples headsets (again, never with just 2 people, but increase to 3 or more and this happens)
    poor distance in BC's/Washington's/Orgeon's/California's terrain. Cardo is better, but still nowhere near as advertised.
    drop out of distance and have trouble reconnecting to the group. This is even more apparent when you go beyond 4 riders in the group. the 20s are supposed to handle up to 8 riders. Good luck with that.

Other Sena issues:
    not waterproof. I've had "rain fade" on the 20s and on the 10 as well. Luckily, I've not fried a unit in the rain, but have friends who did. No warranty service from Sena either.

Look, bottom line is that you need to keep in a group with the same units. When you finally get tired of shit not working on a Sena, then switch to Cardo and wonder why you didn't do it earlier. If you are just a single rider and will likely not connect to others, then any unit will work just fine. I found my Sena 20s to be fantastic with just me and music, or when paired to another 20s user (just 2 of us), the communications were great. Very HD quality and little to no noise. Again, go beyond just 2 people and the communications were shite. Pair a 10 and a 20 together...still shit, even with 2, but bearable. With the Cardo units, in the beginning we would ask "Is anyone still there?" because there was just complete silence, no mic noise, nothing. Then someone would say "yup still here" and we'd all go off on a tangent about how quiet these units are, etc.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post

If you are the last to get on board with a comm unit and your typical riding buds all have Sena with no appetite to change,
    get Sena.

i'm the last of my group to get an actual comm' unit.. most of the time it will be just me and one other rider communicating
    and even more often will be just me with my media devices like gps etc as its pissing me off the GPS goes into this
    weird zoom function and then i miss the turns ahead.. sucks not having audio feedback.

i hear all the concerns regarding mic placement, that makes sense.

i'm bypassing any issues which may affect units while raining, as its an integrated unit for me.

i'm sure there will be a learning curve and more than one firmware upgrade involved once it comes in

but yeah, i dont see others in my group picking up a Cardo any time soon.. not a chance
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    i'm the last of my group to get an actual comm' unit.. most of the time it will be just me and one other rider communicating
    and even more often will be just me with my media devices like gps etc as its pissing me off the GPS goes into this
    weird zoom function and then i miss the turns ahead.. sucks not having audio feedback.

i hear all the concerns regarding mic placement, that makes sense.

i'm bypassing any issues which may affect units while raining, as its an integrated unit for me.

i'm sure there will be a learning curve and more than one firmware upgrade involved once it comes in

but yeah, i dont see others in my group picking up a Cardo any time soon.. not a chance
    Lucky, sounds like any brand/model would suffice for you which makes things easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    and more than one firmware upgrade involved once it comes in
    It sucks that the Schuberth/Sena units dont use the regular Sena firmware upgrades, and get completely unique versions.
    Hopefully their updates get more frequent.

Bike
    Lucky, sounds like any brand/model would suffice for you which makes things easy.
    Technically you're right I wouldnt care one way or another except i'm tied to friends / pops who currently use SENA.

that being said, i just watched a full review comparison between both systems.. honestly, the dude is
    trying way to hard to confuse buyers into not purchasing one period.. ie, not a very helpful review..

these days it seems everybody is happy to ramble on about nothing. The whole wet weather thing is hilarious.
    so none of the devices have actually burned due to being exposed to bad weather, but Cardo fanbois are all
    happy to brag theirs carries a 'warranty' for it..

uhmm.. if its not an issue to begin with? who gives a rats arse; back to square one.. oh wait, only one actually fits my helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    It sucks that the Schuberth/Sena units dont use the regular Sena firmware upgrades, and get completely unique versions.
    Hopefully their updates get more frequent.
    well, I dont know if this will be the case on the SC2.. But yes it sounds like they have their own firmware and Sena
    was slow to the punch on the SC1. Lots of reading on the subject pointed to a long wait for firmware updates
    to be released originally, and of course some of the early adopters were bitching about it to no end.

I hope, since its gonna take some time for the new units to be available that firmware will be up to snuff off the bat, but i'm not betting on it.

I would assume there will be some sort of update required even once the units arrive.

I do hope now that Sena itself is on the 30k that they've figured out any issues with the 20S Chipset.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 04-17-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Fwiw I ran a set of sena smh10's for a couple of years doing residential tree work. *Beat the living hell out of them, soaked on a regular basis. Never had any issues with battery life or waterproofness.*

My riding partner is my wife and I'm really wrestling with the practicality/reality of being in each other's ear during a ride. *

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoDragon View Post
    If you want to pair using "universal" communications, someone has to give up the "phone" connection. that means that you cannot have your phone paired to either a Sena or a Cardo, as the universal communications uses a phone connection as universal. One of the units emulates a phone BT connection and you connect that way.

So think about that...

you bought a unit so you can have phone/music/maps in your ears. bonus is that you can talk to other riders. want to talk to someone on a different system? No problem, give up phone calls/music/maps and you can talk to them. What is the range of BT to a phone? Well, typically a phone is a BT class 2 device. You get 10M or 33'. How many bikes do you know that maintain a 33' distance when riding? Yeah, I'd go on a limb and call that "just doesn't work", but hey, if you had someone on the back seat, then it will work just fine between the 2 different units.

Sena communications with more than 2 units are subject to the following:
    Noisy microphones
    popcorn/sizzling/popping sounds at random intervals in most peoples headsets (again, never with just 2 people, but increase to 3 or more and this happens)
    poor distance in BC's/Washington's/Orgeon's/California's terrain. Cardo is better, but still nowhere near as advertised.
    drop out of distance and have trouble reconnecting to the group. This is even more apparent when you go beyond 4 riders in the group. the 20s are supposed to handle up to 8 riders. Good luck with that.

Other Sena issues:
    not waterproof. I've had "rain fade" on the 20s and on the 10 as well. Luckily, I've not fried a unit in the rain, but have friends who did. No warranty service from Sena either.

Look, bottom line is that you need to keep in a group with the same units. When you finally get tired of shit not working on a Sena, then switch to Cardo and wonder why you didn't do it earlier. If you are just a single rider and will likely not connect to others, then any unit will work just fine. I found my Sena 20s to be fantastic with just me and music, or when paired to another 20s user (just 2 of us), the communications were great. Very HD quality and little to no noise. Again, go beyond just 2 people and the communications were shite. Pair a 10 and a 20 together...still shit, even with 2, but bearable. With the Cardo units, in the beginning we would ask "Is anyone still there?" because there was just complete silence, no mic noise, nothing. Then someone would say "yup still here" and we'd all go off on a tangent about how quiet these units are, etc.
    90% of the time i'm riding by myself... the other times.. i can't recall seeing a cardo unit.. so, i guess that's that.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    The whole wet weather thing is hilarious. so none of the devices have actually burned due to being exposed to bad weather, but Cardo fanbois are all happy to brag theirs carries a 'warranty' for it..

uhmm.. if its not an issue to begin with? who gives a rats arse; back to square one.. oh wait, only one actually fits my helmet.
    Well, I have "burned" one SENA riding in wet weather, and I believe someone else did so in my group. I still prefer the big round dial that SENA uses over the fiddly small buttons of the CARDO, but you get used to it.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    Fwiw I ran a set of sena smh10's for a couple of years doing residential tree work. *Beat the living hell out of them, soaked on a regular basis. Never had any issues with battery life or waterproofness.*

My riding partner is my wife and I'm really wrestling with the practicality/reality of being in each other's ear during a ride. *
    Probably a big difference between getting some rain on them vs in them, which is what happens when driving rain from the speeds of a motorcycle get to them.

Like SnoDragon, I also had a Sena ruined in the rain, mind you was super heavy. They are simply not waterproof, so if this matters, something to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/YZF R3/CBR f4i
    Fair enough. And I do live and used them in the interior. Rain to us isn't rain to a coastie.*

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Well, I have "burned" one SENA riding in wet weather, and I believe someone else did so in my group. I still prefer the big round dial that SENA uses over the fiddly small buttons of the CARDO, but you get used to it.
    interesting.. thanks for chiming in!! i was hoping somebody would at least confirm rumors..

if i stick with the Schuberth SC2 Sena, it wont be an issue for me at all.. i would, however be stuck with stupid buttons..

it does come with a remote though, so i'll have to find room for it on the bikes

Like SnoDragon, I also had a Sena ruined in the rain, mind you was super heavy. They are simply not waterproof, so if this matters, something to consider.

thanks, i appreciate you chiming in..

Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    *Beat the living hell out of them, soaked on a regular basis. Never had any issues with battery life or waterproofness.*
    this is what i've heard the most.. we ride in wet weather from time to time but its never fun so yeah, kinda depends on exposure i guess..

most riders are fair weather hooligans as is. If we get caught out 'in it' i dont see Erik putting his away or anything so it must be doing fine.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 04-17-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Registered User Array SliderZ33's Avatar
    Bike
    2000 Kawasaki ZX9R
    After looking at the pro's and cons I have ordered the Cardo Packtalk Slim DUO so I can have one in both my helmets. I got the model without the JBL speakers as it was $150 cheaper and that is the only difference in them after doing some digging. If I want I can buy the JBL speakers after as an add on. I do ride in the rain often and realized that I don't want to run into the issue of destroying a unit because its not water proof. I should be receiving it this week so I will see how it goes. It will be nice to not have ear buds that pop out while putting my helmet on. Super late to the comm's game but feel like this is the best bet.

Bike
    For those on the fence, it may be worth noting SENA released a major update at end of the year 2018..

Products with New Firmware Releasing October 8, 2018: (updates are to be found across the entire line)

20S
    20S Evo
    Momentum INC
    10S
    10R
    SRL (Note: A new firmware update is not available for the SRL, as it currently has support
    for 30K Audio Multitasking, along with the same updates from 20S v2.0 and 20S Evo v2.0)

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    yeah, but you cannot polish a turd, so firmware is not going to fix the bulk of the issues with noise, disconnects, etc.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    For those on the fence, it may be worth noting SENA released a major update at end of the year 2018..

Products with New Firmware Releasing October 8, 2018: (updates are to be found across the entire line)

20S
    20S Evo
    Momentum INC
    10S
    10R
    SRL (Note: A new firmware update is not available for the SRL, as it currently has support
    for 30K Audio Multitasking, along with the same updates from 20S v2.0 and 20S Evo v2.0)
    You've listed absolutely nothing of value, yet somehow this should be considered a motivation to buy? basically- BNG !!!