Views: 80
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2090.PNG
Views: 81
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2092.PNG
Views: 80
Size:  85.7 KB

Edit. I'm not sure why those look kinda huge on my screen. Voice control is off and sensitivity is off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Jesus, I've been struggling with a similar problem all week (I've been testing speakers + spacers + inline amp + foam ear plugs) and while communications is acceptable (I can hear the other rider), I can't hear my music, even with my settings exactly as you have them all maxed out.

I need to do another test ride with just music, to see if there is any volume
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Inline amp? *Shit, if I end up with one more thing to charge or mess around with I'm going to be spending more time f-cking around then riding. Lol.*

I hate to say it. But why isn't this thing blistering loud already? *It's designed for motorcycles! *

I'm resisting buying the $120 jbl upgraded speakers. Seems a bit much, but really more out of spite. Kind of frustrating that shortly after I got my packtalks the bold jbl's came out on Amazon Canada for like 40-$50 more. *Like within weeks of my return cut off date.*

I'd be overall very happy with this system if the music had just a bit more volume. *

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Yup, I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to get away from using my $350 dual driver custom molded earplugs from Hear Smart Solutions purely from a comfort perspective. The fidelity in those is top drawer, however they do begin to hurt my ears around the 8 hour mark riding. Everything is a give and take. Others swear by cheap foam earplugs and stock speakers for comfort, but they don't listen to music, have much better hearing than me (55) or they ride (1) in the city, gross, or (2) don't tour. So not exactly relative to my situation.

I would go with these speakers rather than the JBL's. They are highly rated. Now, if I could only figure out what the difference is between the two lol

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00RW10WBC/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071CX5PXZ/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm evaluating some cheap earbuds that are super lowprofile that should not rip out of my ears when I take my helmet off. I plan to test them with some Comply foam tips to get better noise reduction

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0727P1GRM/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

All of this is Amazon, and I am Prime, so returns aren't an issue which is nice.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Interesting on the speaker links. I like the idea of the jbl/cardo ones as the bit of feedback I've been able to find on them is the 45mm jbl ones are supposed to be louder. And it gets you the unlock code for the jbl sound profiles in the cardo app.

*The earbuds I've been using are a little violent on the ears when taking my helmet off. And after 2-3hrs only the other day I was starting to notice them a bit. Not painful but a full day might become uncomfortable. They are the hook over your ear type with a wire connecting the two. So I've got a pair of these on the way:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm a prime member too so thought I'd try them out and see if they were easier on and off. I like no wire. Also the case is a charger/battery. So seems convenient for storage and keeping them topped up. And if they're crap, back they'll go.*

Cardo emailed me saying they are behind the 8ball on customer questions and would be greater than 3 business days getting back to me about my volume issue. *

Bike
    ZX14
    I keep my auto volume sensitivity to medium all the time.......not sure what difference that makes, but volume turns up as I speed up and ambient noise increases.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I believe that when it's set to off it gives you max volume for the applicable level all the time. *And when it's activated the volume is decreased slightly for the applicable level and bumps up with ambient noise. That was what I took away from somewhere as I was crawling the net trying to solve this issue atleast. That's why I set it to off. But I may try playing with that setting again to see for myself. Good suggestion, thanks.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Here is the response point I've gotten to with cardo:

*Hi Justin, We are aware of this issue. To solve it for the time being you need to turn up the Mixing volume in the app. In the next firmware update it will get a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for understanding. Best regards

Would anyone have any thoughts on looking over my settings now(that I previously posted in this thread two three responses ago) if there is a 'mixing volume' I've overlooked somewhere? *Thanks.*

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    What "Issue" is Cardo aware of?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Last week and this week, I have fkd around with a few amps, JBL speakers, and the stock speakers, along with foam earplugs. I literally went out for 2 hours doing 120-130km/hr burns down the #1 for a few miles, adjusting settings on the app, the amp, taking the amp off, bla bla bla. As much as I would love to have the comfort of foam earplugs, it just doesn't work for me. I could "hear" music, but I wouldn't call it entertaining. At max volume it was probably a 10th of the volume of in ear monitors, and shit fidelity. Went for a couple test rides just to test communications, and yeah, i could hear the other person talking, but barely. shipped everything back to Amazon today.

Bench testing, meaning sitting at my desk with both speakers, and listening to the same song over and over, while I adjust settings in the App and the amp, yeah, the JBL's do offer a little more clarity, but certainly not $130 worth. I would put a value of $10 on the improvement. The amp helped, although it only pumps out an additional 8db. It made the music more clear more than it did loud.

JBL Speakers: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UClear Speakers: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00RW10WBC/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    or on UClear's site: https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/h...lmet-speakers/

Topping Amp: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plugfones: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00RC301N4/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I bought a pair, and they were super super comfortable with the foam tip. Unfortunatley, I broke them within an hour . Returned. I may buy another pair as a backup when my ears get sore from my custom molded pair toward the end of the day.

Etymotic ER2XR Ear Buds: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NSL5XS5/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I have an older version of these, and the fidelity is great. As FOAM seems to be the most comfortable, I paired these with COMPLY brand foam ear tips (highly rated by motorcyclists) and they seal extremely well. Be careful buying COMPLY foam tips as (1) you have to buy a variety pack first to figure out which size fits your ear canals, and (2) they come in 4-5 sizes to fit different diameters of ear buds, and its really confusing looking at the fitting chart.

Back to my custom molded dual driver Hearsmart monitors.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    What "Issue" is Cardo aware of?
    This issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    *As I've mentioned a number of times I find the volume level barely acceptable. What I've come to find is when paired in dmc mode the volume is louder than when unpaired. This is with all volume levels set to max through the unit and the app, with the latest firmware and having done a master reset too. So when my wife and I ride together. I regularly ride off ahead and then I pull over to wait. And I can tell when we unpair and re-pair by my music volume. It noticeably decreases when unpaired and then bumps back up when re-paired. I am often pulled over with my bike turned off, so it is easily noticeable and consistent. Does it every time. If I had the volume when paired available to me all the time, I'd be happy with it. As it is it's kind of frustrating me to know it could be louder but isn't because of some reason I'm either not grasping or the functionality of the system? *Or a glitch in my unit? I have put the description/question to cardo as well and hope to hear something back. If I do I'll update here too. *
    My cardo functions like this 100% of the time for me. It's frustrating knowing the unit is capable of putting out a decent volume level that I am never receiving when unpaired. *

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    CDG when you had the jbl's did you activate the extra sound profiles in the app with the qr code/key or whatever it is? *I've been curious about that function/option.*

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    CDG when you had the jbl's did you activate the extra sound profiles in the app with the qr code/key or whatever it is? *I've been curious about that function/option.*
    Yes I did, they are nothing special, three settings: normal, extra bass, and voice. It didn't amplify anything, just simple profiles , nothing you can't accomplish with the music app you use.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Mixing volume in the app.
    This is so typical of Cardo's support. They can't seem to give a straight answer to anything, always ambiguous. Mixing volume does not exist in any of they documentation.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Thanks for sharing all the different setups you've been trying. Helps a guy save some time and messing about.*

I did get back to cardo asking about the 'mixing volume' and sent them the screenshots of my settings and this was the last reply I got back:

*Hi Justin, Until the next firmware will be out that is fine in the mean while. Thank you for understanding. Best regards

Atleast they are responsive. I'll be curious to see if it's fixed in the next firmware release.

For now I'm using these Bluetooth earbuds for my radar alerts via the mpow transmitter:

*https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the stock packtalk speakers for comms and music. It's working ok. It is finicky sometimes to get the earbuds in place and sometimes I drop them when removing my helmet. I'm going to try tying a little string between them to prevent that I think. When everything is in place properly I find it comfortable and effective for wind, bike, and road noise dampening. I don't put in eight HR days though, three has been max so far with this setup but have a overnighter lined up which should be fivish HR days of actual riding. *

Overall I'm still quite happy with the cardos. With my new helmet I'm finding the volume levels acceptable overall to loud even at lower speeds. The volume change issue with pairing and un-pairing is more of an annoyance and I would like that extra bit of volume at times when unpaired. It's frustrating because when I turn up the speed a little is when we become unpaired and the volume decreases slightly right at the point when I'd appreciate the full volume.

I guess it is convenient when I'm pulled over waiting as I can instantly tell when we are re-paired due to the bump in volume output. With the antennaes both up the distance is fairly impressive to me. Often we re-pair long before line of sight is achieved. So when I hear that little bump up in volume I can then tell my wife 'heh I'm pulled over just up here, are you stopping or are we continuing?' And know pretty confidently that she received my communication and I'm not just sitting on the side of the road talking to myself like an idiot. Lol.*