BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Yamaha buyer tips.

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Looking at a 2002 R1 w/37,000 km.on it tomorrow.

Besides obvious questions, anything special to watch out for with them?

Background is next to no maintenance records, stock as a rock sort from LED turnsignals, tail tidy and Ohlins steering damper.

Going to test ride it for any gearbox issues ...... any suggestions on what else to look for?

#2 · (Edited)
i can probably find out proper details for you. a couple of friends have had 'em for a while. i know one in particular is his cherished baby. :D

2nd gear can be an issue i've heard. some get undercut done, while replacing it.

but i dont know considering kms on the odo.. i think the TPS was a nightmare, i know the CCT was so
you'll need MANUAL ADJUSTER. Ape makes high precision version, so does graves probably

ahha.. thought i'd seen this one buried somewhere..

go to this LINK and download the Technical Bulletin from Yamaha on 11/14/03 for instructions on how to test the TPS. its a PDF file.

https://www.r1messagenet.com/forums/pdf/02r1TPS.pdf

also, a more straight forward manner (you can do when he's not looking) is the following: DIAG mode! :D

you should be able to test the TPS using the "diag" ecu mode, right?

bike off, hold "start" and "reset" buttons on gauges, turn key to on, continue holding the buttons, when "diag" pops up.. let go, then press and hold them again for a few seconds untill the F1: prompt appears.

F1: 16 or whatever will appear, which is the closed % throttle. you should be able to slowly open the throttle to WOT and see the percentages the ecu is seeing. if there is weird shit popping up, that should tell you something about the TPS and if it's working right

#4 ·
CLIFF notes:

Yeah gearbox and rectifier. Drive it hard in 2nd gear and see if it skips a bit. 2n'd and 5th tend to wear each others dogs down. Check for clutch slip (easy fix) and test the voltage at the battery with the bike running at 3000 rpm +. Should be 14.4volts of all's well. Apart from that, they're pretty bulletproof.

usual caveat:

check for any Frame damage (read wheelie machine :D), condition of fluids, suspension movement, brake or clutch sluggishness ?

#7 · (Edited)
ahh perfect, in before the lock! :laughing

i have it in good order on this one friend, they are solid bikes.. absolutely go get her!!

that is the type of mileage I would expect TBH. I would buy it if price is reasonable.. you will need to get the valves adjusted off the bat IMHO.
(which is to say: in 3k kms its 'considered' a necessity)

I waited on mine because i was planning headwork anyway, but i'm betting the exhaust valve lashes will be tight :D

#9 ·
LOLOLOL ....... awesome. I’ll be on something two wheeled when I make it that way.

I ended up buying it, smoking deal. The tires are completely shot, needs new steering stem bearings and fork seals. I have to do the valves on the the VFR, what’s another 20? **

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.