the death knell for Ducati?

Thread: the death knell for Ducati?

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

the death knell for Ducati?

don't these people understand what BRAND is all about?

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    "Is it just me, or does it almost sound like Australian penny-stock company Vmoto is surprised Ducati actually agreed to go along with this?"

What could possibly be in this for Ducati? A brand elasticity test I suppose.

Bike
    CB 500X
    Ducati allowing their name to be put on a Chinese scooter is a total desperation move. I didn't know things were so bad
    'I ride, therefore I'm not here.'

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Hard to know where the OK for this came from. Ducati is owned by Lamborghini, which is owned by Audi, which is owned by Volkswagen... And Ducati's business seems to be thriving, so it's not desperation. That is perhaps a sharp comment about testing brand elasticity.

I respect a lot what Ducati has done with their products and particularly image over the past decade or so, but maybe this decision came from 'higher up', where the understanding of the Ducati brand is more tenuous. As Wikipedia puts it, regarding the purchase of Ducati by (eventually) Volkswagen:

"Volkswagen chairman Ferdinand Piëch, a motorcycle enthusiast, had long coveted Ducati, and had regretted that he passed up an opportunity to buy the company from the Italian government in 1984. Analysts doubted a tiny motorcycle maker would have a meaningful effect on a company the size of Volkswagen, commenting that the acquisition has "a trophy feel to it," and, "is driven by VW's passion for nameplates rather than industrial or financial logic"."
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    I think if there is anyone out there that understands branding, its Ducati. They also have a lot of products sold with their name on them.
    Name:  plikomini_ducati_437_578.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  43.5 KB
    Last edited by the bartender; 05-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Bike
    CB 500X
    Merchandising is a good for the core business and I've even got a Ducati t-shirt somewhere for which I paid a good penny. I get that.

The problem I see is their putting their name and reputation on a Chinese scooter, which may reflect poorly on them in the end.
    'I ride, therefore I'm not here.'

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Putting their name on a scooter is lame. On a t-shirt, stroller, whatever that's marketing. On a two wheeled moto that sucks? That's lame.*

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    so, at least the company is doing well:

first quarter 2019 unit sales worldwide up 5%

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...sales-q1-2019/
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Honda
    I can see it happening easily by pirating the trademark. But I’m quite surprised that Ducati would sell themselves to a questionable product like this.*
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    It only gets worse

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Awesome! *I'll take two. Lol.*