Exhaust replacement help

Thread: Exhaust replacement help

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '05 Z750

Exhaust replacement help

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace the exhaust on my '05 Z750 and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove the old pipe that is sealed and clamped to the catalytic converter outlet side. It is sealed up pretty tight. I can remove the clamp without issue but the pipe doesn't budge. Only thing I can think of would be to cut/saw into the petals(?) after removing the clamp and try peeling the leaves back then sanding down the remaining sealant. Any better ideas?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Having owned a couple of Kawasaki Ninja 1000's, and removed the mufflers on both, they are somewhat tight, however I can't see them being so tight you can't wiggle them off. Check to see if there is a mounting point that supports the catalytic converter. If there is, you "should" be able to work the mufflers loose by applying some gentle side to side and up and down wiggling action without risking bending the mid-pipe.

If that still doesn't work, try spraying some penetrating oil between the flanges of the muffler, heck, even dish soap may do the trick, just give it time to soak and hopefully that will help. Cutting the flanges (petals) is too risky. Try bending them outward if you can with a flat blade screwdriver and use a hammer/rubber mallet to try and get the screwdriver under the flanges. Beyond that, I would rely on other members here for suggestions.

One question: Can you grab the muffler and turn it so it spins at all on the mid-pipe?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Check all around for a fastener like a rivet too if you haven't already. I've seen them under the clamps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array Porschenut's Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R
    There's some sort of sealant material gluing the joint together? That seems unusual but maybe there was a leak and a previous owner had the bright idea of bonding it all together. It could even be the case that it's all been brazed together in which case it'll probably never come apart.

If the penetrating oil doesn't work, try taking a torch to the pipe (cheapest option would be a plumber's torch) and heat/expand it while leaving the cat cooler so that it doesn't expand with it. Wrap the cat in a wet towel and fire away.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    I like this cutting idea. *Zip wheel on a 9” grinder oughtta do it

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '05 Z750
    Thanks for all the input. *I tried spraying it with WD40 and left it overnight. *I could get it to twist a bit after that. *With a little bit of wiggling, pulling and twisting, it popped off. *Good to go with the new exhaust!Name:  IMG_1737.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  136.9 KB
    Last edited by speedbump68; 05-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Nice. Now make some noise!