motorcycle registrations and fatalities

Thread: motorcycle registrations and fatalities

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

motorcycle registrations and fatalities

We all know motorcycling is dangerous, right? Motorcyclists are somewhere between 10 and 30 times as likely to die in a motor vehicle accident as automobile drivers. The chances of this dire outcome are small, and we individually do what we can to increase our odds, but the statistics do not lie.

So it's interesting to read this article from Common Thread, which covers an examination of the ratio between number of registered motorcycles by state with the death rates for motorcyclists in those states. And the conclusion, that the better the riding conditions, therefore the more riders ride, which leads to higher death rates, seems logical to the point of being blindingly obvious. In fact, that's what common sense tells us, and even what we tell each other - ride more; accept more risk.

Of course, the story is way more complicated than examining one factor makes is seem, but accepting complication does not undermine the truth of the observation. A key element is that alcohol is still involved in a quite a high percentage of motorcyclist deaths, and that's an easy factor to eliminate.

Interesting material:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined

Btw, I dug a bit in Stats Can and elsewhere. There are about 68,000 registered motorcycles in BC as of 2017. Over the past half dozen years or so, there have been on average about 35 motorcyclist deaths per year in BC. That's roughly 5 deaths per 10,000 registrations, or about middle of the pack, compared to the US data.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Significant increase in deaths here last year. More riders? Fewer taking training?*

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...018-1.5142877*

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    Better way to look at it is deaths per 100000 miles / kilometers.

And then normalized for required training, graduated licensing etc...

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckyll View Post
    Better way to look at it is deaths per 100000 miles / kilometers.

And then normalized for required training, graduated licensing etc...
    That's the only way to look at it.
    USA stats for 2016 show moto deaths per mile : car deaths per mile at about 16:1
    We have no reason to believe Canada would be very different.
    https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/f...rcycle-crashes

So, roughly 16 times more dangerous to ride the bike. Now adjust for all your personal stuff. e.g. Don't ride drunk - knock off 30%, rider training - knock off some %, ride sportbikes too fast - add a big chunk.

remember though, it's YOU driving the passenger car as well, not some rando statistic. So, if you don't ride drunk, and also don't drive drunk, you are still about 16:1 times more likely to die on the bike per mile travelled. lots of articles forget this part.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    USA stats for 2016 show moto deaths per mile : car deaths per mile at about 16:1

So, roughly 16 times more dangerous to ride the bike. Now adjust for all your personal stuff. e.g. Don't ride drunk - knock off 30%, rider training - knock off some %, ride sportbikes too fast - add a big chunk.

remember though, it's YOU driving the passenger car as well, not some rando statistic. So, if you don't ride drunk, and also don't drive drunk, you are still about 16:1 times more likely to die on the bike per mile travelled. lots of articles forget this part.
    but loud pipes! **

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post

So, roughly 16 times more dangerous to ride the bike. Now adjust for all your personal stuff.
    agreed on this one. When I hear accidents have gone up in high numbers, X amount % increase over previous years
    I think of several reasons this could be, but then we are all keenly aware gas prices have shot up the last two years,
    electric mopeds are very popular now which would lead me to believe we will have an influx of new riders hitting the road.

now, since i'm always out on the road myself i can definitely say there are more road test junkies roaming around the lower mainland.

ie, i dont think the statistics are speaking of 'seasoned riders'. Therefore it is not something i would attribute to motorcycle riding itself.

new drivers make stupid decisions all the time, cars are very forgiving.. motorcycles are inherently unstable, pretty easy math.

Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    but loud pipes! **
    i made a terrible mistake.. decided to do the major valve service on my Raider, and I figured it was a good time to heat-tape my airbox.

end result is the bike is a bloody sleeper now. Its so damn quiet I had to check if i was hearing things wrong due to the helmet swap.

nope, exhaust note / tone also changed.. even for a (muscle) V-twin, its kind of just a wimp now, just sounds a little better than stock really
    Last edited by bacchus40; 05-22-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.