Group rides

Thread: Group rides

Bike
    2016 CBR1000RR-SP

Group rides

So from e-mails and messages from friends I received both of these today on packs of riders, each with negativity.

https://www.jpcycles.com/counterstee...-a-pack-sucks?

and:

https://www.nsnews.com/news/motorcyc...ver-1.23844889

My experience with a large group has varied from good and bad but I am comfortable with it. Keep consistent and patient.
    I think most people prefer to keep to a comfort level at four or less people that they are familiar with their riding habits.
    ---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I don't mind riding with a small group, now and then. *But I have the most fun by myself. I love that my wife rides and I really enjoy that we do it together. And despite her insistence that I just, 'go on ahead'. I still don't ride the same pace as when I'm alone. I road with a largish group (10 or so hogs and a couple of sport bikes, for about a minute or two the other day before I realized they were out for a very leisurely cruise). Then I passed and left them behind. I have/like sport bikes for a reason. I like to get around.*

That first article describes a lot of my feelings about riding in a group. I am not comfortable trusting my safety/space to someone I don't know. Life's to short and fragile for that shit. I don't think I'll ever be a big group rider. But what's funny is I really enjoy seeing other riders when I'm out and about.*

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    There's two kinds of group ride. The massive toy-run type thing shouldn't come with an expectation that you can have a spirited ride; it's about being part of a big group. That's it. And it will be (and should be) slow.*

For smaller group rides, I'd have to say the complaints in the first article all point towards "you're doing it wrong". You don't maintain staggered formation when the road gets twisty, you stretch out so everyone can ride their lines. And when staggered, you're tight enough so a car can't get in, but far enough apart that someone can swerve and there's no drama.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I think the big difference lies between small group of friends/familiars vs anything other or bigger than that.*

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    All good points.......riding is as much a social thing for me these days as it is the thrill of railing corners (which I can do solo or with a group). It has taken a lot of years to settle on the "Magnificent Seven" I ride with regularly these days. It's mostly a trust issue, which means I have no issues with one of them riding my rear tire. And the most important part.............zero drama
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    yeah... groups can be good and bad.. they can even be decent with the rando internet rides.. though... i've had a couple bad experiences with those so.. both people passing in my lane unexpectedly.. both in a straight line.. and in a corner..

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    I’m too much of a fussy lady for group riding these days. *If I want to pee, drink, stretch, or clean a bug off my visor, I’m stopping. *However, I will also get annoyed if anyone else does the same. *
    Antisocial behaviour to be sure.*

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    i tend to avoid larger groups when riding. 10 or more is 'too much' and I find it should be broken up into two groups.

as above, it comes down to trust a lot of the time. Mostly i find it a lot easier to get a ride organized as folks all have lives and shit.

too many times a large group swears there will be this epic ride, plans are made and sometimes accommodations arranged, nobody shows up.

happened early spring last year so i pretty much just did my thing rest of.

going forward, unless i know all who post up for a ride (specially if north of border) I probably wont be joining 'internet' rides. To much can go horribly wrong.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Better than LEGO. Array almost_barbie's Avatar
    Bike
    Pocket Rocket
    I prefer riding alone but like it when there's others I know at the destination! Group rides are frustrating for me, probably for the same reasons I'm a terrible car passenger.
    My new riding music is RAMMSTEIN.

i don't drag knee, i drag FOOT!

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    I love group riding, but mainly because I have a wonderful crew of people who are proficient, trustworthy, predictable, and malleable to the collective enjoyment of the group. Some of the best days of my life have been strafing corners in NorCal/Oregon/Wa/Idaho/wherever with my crew, then finishing the day with a delicious meal, refreshing libations, and interesting discussion. For me, an incredible experience is one that can be shared - I have become a better rider and better person because of the bonds created with my crew whom I often entrust my life in, and it also helps that they share my passion for living a full life.

Otherwise, have been on some old-skool BCSB and other group rides that have otherwise been crazy sketchy. And there is the catch - can't find good riding partners unless you group ride first and filter out the fluff.

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    I love group riding, but mainly because I have a wonderful crew of people who are proficient, trustworthy, predictable, and malleable to the collective enjoyment of the group. Some of the best days of my life have been strafing corners in NorCal/Oregon/Wa/Idaho/wherever with my crew, then finishing the day with a delicious meal, refreshing libations, and interesting discussion. For me, an incredible experience is one that can be shared - I have become a better rider and better person because of the bonds created with my crew whom I often entrust my life in, and it also helps that they share my passion for living a full life.

Otherwise, have been on some old-skool BCSB and other group rides that have otherwise been crazy sketchy. And there is the catch - can't find good riding partners unless you group ride first and filter out the fluff.
    Let’s ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    That does sound like fun when you put it that way!

I had a good friend who I road with last year but his life fell apart and he's fallen off the map unfortunately. We have one other couple we ride with and he's a real solid bloke, very experienced and capable rider. We naturally fall into the women ride together and I tail him. He's ridden lots of sport in the past but currently is on a BMW adventure bike and he keeps it a fair clip on that, that's for sure.*

Hopefully as time goes on I'll get a solid little group of riding buds. With my wonky work schedule though it can be tough to make plans with others. I work every weekend.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Group rides are not my thing but I do miss the bullshit sessions at stops or destinations. I think its a phase we go through until we realize how much fun it is to be unencumbered.