Fork disassembly issue

Thread: Fork disassembly issue

Bike
    Honda

Fork disassembly issue

So I'm puttering away on that 2002 R1 I snagged. Forks pulled and seal replacement time.

One leg came apart as easy as pie, no problems at all. Second leg, not so much. That 10 mm internal hex bolt at the bottom of the leg just refuses to let go. It will turn, and turn the entire guts of the fork. I can stop it turning by grasping the top of the fork but I can hear the bottoms bits still turning in the tube.

Any suggestion as to how to get past this?
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Have you tried an impact gun?

Bike
    Honda
    Negative. Gotta buy a 10 mm hex that would reach I guess. I just don't groove on impact guns but if it's the only way .....
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    If it's adjustable I'd turn it down some and just give it a couple little blips to try. *I wouldn't just hammer the hell out of it to start with.*

Myself I groove on impact guns. I have a high quality air one and it's performance is incredible, predictable, and adjustable. I've used it many times in different applications to 'free' fasteners that otherwise the whole assembly would just spin and have to be 'held' in some difficult to impossible way.

Good luck with it. *

Bike
    Honda
    I was stuck on the heli-deck of the CCGS Sir Wilfred Laurier once, trying to get an MBB-105 back together. I had been fighting with one last thing; a tiny, fincky item that just wouldn't go back together. I had been there for almost 2 hrs in the sun while a work crew waited for the machine to get ready. The pilot, one of the rare ones that I counted as a friend, came over and said "Go take a break". I argued a bit but then went below. A coffee, a snack and 30 minutes later I was back up there. I wasn't hands on for 30 seconds when everything fell into place and we were serviceable again.

That's how it was with this fork leg. I was ready to fire the thing across the garage out of frustration. Hit it with penetrating oil, came inside and posted my question on here. Argued for a bit with Squisher, went out this morning, found my 10mm hex that fit and using my small DeWalt hammer drill/impact the issue was no longer an issue within 45 seconds.

Thanks, Squish, much appreciated.