Road Report - Night Hawk to Tonasket

Thread: Road Report - Night Hawk to Tonasket

Bike
    CB 500X

Road Report - Night Hawk to Tonasket

The back road from Night Hawk to Loomis and on to Tonasket is crap.

Don't get your hopes up for a spirited ride, since a road crew messed it up with loose patches of gravel here and there and all over the place.

At least with a pothole, you can ride around it.
    'I ride, therefore I'm not here.'

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    we were out there at end of season last year and saw some construction in the area.. we got by ok at the time, but thanks for posting
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Ideally it's the section from Nighthawk to Oroville that you want to ride and then from Oroville out to Chesaw and Curlew. Haven't been out there in a while so I can't say what shape the roads are in but it's a fun area to hit.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    CB 500X
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    Ideally it's the section from Nighthawk to Oroville that you want to ride and then from Oroville out to Chesaw and Curlew. Haven't been out there in a while so I can't say what shape the roads are in but it's a fun area to hit.
    Endless possibilities. Taking the backroad south from Nighthawk to Tonasket, a rider can pick up Hwy 20 there and head east toward Republic and loop back to Oroville via Curlew and Chesaw to the Nighthawk crossing. Being located in Princeton, this was a day trip for us

One of my goals in life is to avoid Hwy 97 because it's boring.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Princ...49.4589588!3e0
    Last edited by Redhawk; 08-22-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Bike
    hey guys, thanks for posting these up.. we venture out that way as time allows.

last year we took hwy20 to Wauconda then did the loop north-east to Curlew-on to Idaho panhandle...
    I think we hit Boyds-Kettle Falls but i'm not certain. May have continued down to Hwy 20 via Republic -East.

i've been exploring that part of WA state as i had to skip hwy 20 east of Tonasket a few years ago due to floods, shitty weather even in early summer.

we were unsure of road status and asked for 'thoughts' at the local gas stn. IN Tonasket. Lady hadnt been up
    Oroville to Chesaw for a few and thought it was unpaved in spots.. sketchy was the word.

didnt know what to think of it so we played it safe.. hope the above makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    Haven't been out there in a while so I can't say what shape the roads are in but it's a fun area to hit.
    read above.. thats what we were told and it seemed an honest assessment.. she couldnt even remember if it was paved all the way.. lol

but yes Nighthawk to Curlew is the shite. thats the ride... along the river bed is just amazing.. dont miss the art work along the wall near end of .
    Last edited by bacchus40; 08-22-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Bike
    ZX-10R
    One of my favourite things to do is walk into the Chesaw saloon: it truly feels like you're walking into a movie set. Just past Chesaw, the road that passes by Beth Lake is fantastic, bonus points for stopping in for a swim.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I don't want to jinx the weather but I'm heading over just east of there this weekend. From coldstream to Nelson first night (hwy6 of course) than crossing into Washington at frontier i think then down to kettle falls on 25 then west on 20 through republic to tonasket and then up 97 to peachland for the bike show there.https://www.peachland.ca/community-events *
    *And then right up back to coldstream. 2nd day is going to be a long day, my wife is still kind of iffy on it. I got her a crampbuster to help her out.*

Bike
    CB 500X
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    I don't want to jinx the weather but I'm heading over just east of there this weekend. From coldstream to Nelson first night (hwy6 of course) than crossing into Washington at frontier i think then down to kettle falls on 25 then west on 20 through republic to tonasket and then up 97 to peachland for the bike show there.https://www.peachland.ca/community-events *
    *And then right up back to coldstream. 2nd day is going to be a long day, my wife is still kind of iffy on it. I got her a crampbuster to help her out.*
    If you get this before you leave -the back road from Tonasket to Nighthawk then over to the Osoyoos Crossing is good to go. The chip seal and gravel has been absorbed or cleared off since my initial rant. (just got back from a couple nights in Mazama) Have a good ride!

Bike
    https://www.peachland.ca/community-events *
    haha.. i was thinking of taking a gander up to Peachland/Penticton this weekend.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    If you get this before you leave -the back road from Tonasket to Nighthawk then over to the Osoyoos Crossing is good to go. The chip seal and gravel has been absorbed or cleared off since my initial rant. (just got back from a couple nights in Mazama) Have a good ride!
    We head out tomorrow morning. I'm doubtful ill get any support from the group in going from tonasket to nighthawk by that point in the day instead of just straight up to the osoyoos crossing. But I'll be sure to mention it and keep it in mind.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    haha.. i was thinking of taking a gander up to Peachland/Penticton this weekend.
    We will be the ragtag group of a ninja 300, cbr f4i, BMW gs, and a Suzuki boulevard. We take all comers to our motorcycle gang. Lol.*

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    We will be the ragtag group of a ninja 300, cbr f4i, BMW gs, and a Suzuki boulevard. We take all comers to our motorcycle gang. Lol.*
    No hardleys. Its all good.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Trip was good. But we modified the 2nd day. After reaching republic we went up curlew and crossed over back to bc to be able to head over and take 33 back. We were getting later in the day and knew we wouldn't make the bike show(know a guy who was showing in it and that it wrapped up at 4pm) so decided this would be the better riding vs coming up through osoyoos.*

I've still been getting my feet wet with this cross border riding so have just been kind of following where to go. Which has been nice to have someone else lead the way and have a 'plan'. Hwy 20 from kettle falls to republic is freshly seal coated , plenty of oil not much for loose gravel but about fifteen 'motorcyclists use extreme caution signs). That sapped my confidence and consequently my enjoyment of that section.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    I should add we cut things short partly because we added on a solid half an HR or so by missing the turn at kettle falls and continuing south for quite aways. Live and learn.*