BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Comments on these Kootenay Routes?

8K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Nelson to Lake Louise via the 93
Lake Louise to Revelstoke via the #1
Revelstoke to Kamloops via the #1

I know they are more scenic than curvy, and thats ok, just would like toi know if there are any reasons to avoid this route (poor pavement, slow traffic, police, boredom, or just slow)

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
when i purchased my Raider S from Edmonton i rode back that way.. Lake Louise via Golden to Revelstoke is rather nice..

i cant remember the name of the pass over the Rockies, i enjoyed the ride. That was 3 years ago but i doubt the roads have changed much.

Revelstoke to Kamloops i've done a few times, I was up there last year coming back from a week long trip then again two month or so

ago as we went camping in the Revelstoke area.. If you're looking for a place to stop for the night, Sicamous is where i always stay.

Salmon Arm to Kamloops can be a little boring but i dont mind it. Really its only the last bit from Chase to Kamloops thats a snore fest.

maybe its the low slung chopper, I really like the roads up that way. Lakes add to the scenery, roads are mostly sweepers with elevation changes.

#3 ·
Nelson to LL via Hwy 3/Hwy 95/Hwy 93 is as you say, scenic but not curvy. Pavement is in fine shape, there are several dedicated traffic sections thru there. But you are going to have to work hard going at silly speeds, the traffic is less than Hwy 1 but steady. I slip into Tour mode when on riding thru, otherwise you get frustrated.

Hwy 1 is as dull as can be. Combined with the traffic flow, hard pass. But it is the fastest. And you can stop at the motorcycle museum in Sorrento.

#5 · (Edited)
Dedicated traffic sections as opposed to Salmo RCMP or Osoyoos RCMP, the guys that do the meat and potatoes policing.

Pt Mann, Deas Island, Sea To Sky, Fraser Valley Traffic Services ....... those are dedicated traffic sections. Provincially funded and take care of fatals, do crash investigations and enforce the BC MVA. Aka "Highway Patrol". No files taken for domestics, sex assaults, assaults, noisey parties. They cover all the highways in BC, including all these roads in the Kootenays. Just ride the way you normally do. Be aware, didn't want anyone to think that you can swan about at Mach Chicken and not have to worry about local Johnny Law until you are in town. Not quite IRSU as those guys are cold.

#12 ·
I believe that HWY 93, when in the national park, requires a park pass to even get past the gates. But I'm not sure where the cutoff is. I know for a fact that between Banff and Jasper that highway is restricted to pass holders only. Not sure of how far south it's required.

#13 ·
^^^ a park pass is only required for travel on the Icefields Parkway and Bow Valley Parkway. pure transit, by whatever route, is free.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/pass/FAQ-pass

travelling the Icefields Parkway south from Jasper to Banff on a sunny day is the best ten bucks you'll ever spend on scenery. ( glaciers on the north sides, facing you; by far, the preferred direction of travel.)

#14 ·
I've been thru the icefields parkway 4 times this season, always by car. As much as I loathe having to pay to drive down a road, doser is bang on. It's $19.50 by car and worth every cent. Every scenic
picture you have ever seen of the park seems to have been taken along that route.

#15 ·
I camp in the parks, so have a yearly park pass regardless. And I agree 100%. The icefields parkway is awesome. I just wasn't sure how much of the road was pass only. Thanks for the clarification Don!

#16 ·
Well the trip got heavily modified while watching the weather almost hourly for a few days leading up to this trip. Scratched the Lake Louise part, dropped a day, and ended up doing an overnight to Nelson and back Monday along the 3.

It's been at least 10 years since I had done a ride with temps and weather that harsh, but we did it. Temps hovered between 9C and 13C, and two passes got as low as 5C, with one where the fog was so bad we had to slow to 80km/hr.

Roads were wet 25% of the time, it rained on us a total of 45mins on day 1, and 50% on day 2. Rain gear kept me warm and dry the whole time (never took it off).

No bugs, no cops, no traffic, good hotel in Nelson (The Adventure) and great food at Mikes Pub.

#17 ·
Temps hovered between 9C and 13C, and two passes got as low as 5C, with one where the fog was so bad we had to slow to 80km/hr.

Roads were wet 25% of the time, it rained on us a total of 45mins on day 1, and 50% on day 2. Rain gear kept me warm and dry the whole time (never took it off).

No bugs, no cops, no traffic, good hotel in Nelson (The Adventure) and great food at Mikes Pub.
not sure whether to offer condolences or congratulations! and it's not just the hotel that gets the moniker "adventure"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.