BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Kootenays and eastern Washington

5K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm based in coldstream so leaving from Lavington. Interested in any feedback/suggestions for a trip I'm planning weekend after next.

So my plan for our next trip is almost the same as the trip we just did for the first day, hwy6 over to Nakusp and then 31a at new Denver to kaslo and onto Nelson. But then continuing on a bit again on Hwy 6 to Ymir to try out their incredibly reasonably priced hotel. Anyone with any experience with the Ymir hotel I'd love to hear about it. Looks like a cool funky spot to lay ones head and about a third of the price of staying in Nelson. Could maybe push on a bit further the first day but am really attracted to a cheap place to stay.

2nd day gonna head *south on 6 again to salmo and then 3b over to trail and then 22a south to cross over the line. Which becomes boundary Hwy I believe to Northport where I want to cross over and take northport flat creek Rd down and over until it hits 395. Then north on 395 until we hit boulder creek Rd. Take that over to curlew and depending on time cross over at Danville or continue across if we can make the midway crossing in time. Then crowsnest to 33 and home. We have done hwy33 three times already this year so might change the route home too if possible? I love that Rd but it is fast as fuck. Bit of a roll of the dice if there's enforcement by chance.

i know a bunch of you here have extensive travel in these areas so open to any feedback/suggestions at this point. I feel like the bc section is pretty solid, although I'm not that familiar with the south east bc area salmo and whatnot. I've also done some reading on some solid reports here about the two Washington rds I want to connect but if there's better routes or something I'm 'just about there' but missing out on I'd love to know about it.

Im starting to feel panicky about the season wrapping up! Gotta plan, gotta ride!!

See less See more
#2 ·
great trip. NE Washington is the best 'weekend' travel from southern BC.

My son is a drummer, and one of his bands has played the Tiny Lights Festival in Ymir a couple times. they've stayed at the Hotel, and have nothing but good things to say about it.

your route is 'choice'. it's simpler, faster, and nicer to continue west from Curlew to cross at Midway, than to go north to Danville. if you felt ambitious and adventurous, you could branch west onto the Toroda Creek Rd, then head NW up to Chesaw and across to Oroville (high, remote, a bit 'goaty' in places; but 'miles from ordinary' ) before popping back over the line to Osoyoos and crossing back east to Rock Creek, but that adds a hundred kms to the day. I presume you're travelling with your wife, and you want her happy, so think carefully about that option. it's only 500kms total, and 600 kms is an 'average' day for a 'fit' traveller, but... judging by your earlier trip reports, it might be a bit of a push...

map: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Ymir...6add1e987!2m2!1d-119.2720107!2d50.2670137!3e0

to see your original plan, just eliminate Oroville and Osoyoos.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I appreciate that bit of input/insight. Yah we are both newbs to packing in any serious km. But we are both definetly bit by the bug of seeing and travelling different roads. And my wife has really picked up the pace, almost scaringly so for her spouse(me!). But we have both been dilligent and still are about building a solid foundation of skills. We are constantly learning and practicing and this has given her the confidence to become a lot quicker. Working on body position and cornering has been part of that but the ironic thing is that over this process braking ability/confidence has been the biggest game changer for my wife.

That being said after this last trip I think that we might be up for that day two. And it would allow us to travel some more new roads. So we will strongly consider it and the beauty of it is we can decide as we are going if we want the extra km's.**

#4 ·
I also see from the map you linked which I really appreciate because I still haven't sussed out how to make a map like that myself(I'm sure it's simple enough but my teenager is off travelling so no one to show me.). *You show going through trail/rossland and south across the line on 22 instead of 22a as I was thinking of doing. 22a is what we did this last weekend so I think I'd go with the 22 just to see new roads if nothing else. But do you have an opinion on the riding of that route vs the one I had proposed?

#6 ·
I also see from the map you linked which I really appreciate because I still haven't sussed out how to make a map like that myself(I'm sure it's simple enough but my teenager is off travelling so no one to show me.).
simple enough even an adult can do it! and a powerful planning tool...

1. open Google Maps.
2. enter your start city or location. it'll give you some suggestions below - choose the correct one.
3. the location will come up in the map. click 'directions' in the left pane.
4. the default is that you want to travel TO that place, so click the little double arrow beside the location name to switch to FROM.
5. enter your next intermediate destination ( i.e., best a place that'll take you along the route you want, rather than too far away; otherwise the mapping function might take a 'different' route)
6. repeat above till you complete.
7. if you want to 'force' a different route, put your cursor onto the blue highlighted route. a dialog box will come up. left click and drag to the desired route and 'drop' it. ( sometimes after you've done this, when you choose your next route section, it'll revert to the original line, and you need to repeat the drag.)
8. the only other useful technique is when you want to add a destination away from a named place. zoom in and put your cursor on where you want the destination to be. right click and dialog will come up. choose 'add a destination'. done.

9. there seems to be a limit of about 10 or a dozen intermediate destinations per each map, so don't try to be too fine-garined.

10. when I'm done a day (i.e., certain number of kilometres), I generally just email it to myself, then start the next day with the first intermediate for that day, then go back and delete all except the start for that day, to avoid having to start a new map each day.

*You show going through trail/rossland and south across the line on 22 instead of 22a as I was thinking of doing. 22a is what we did this last weekend so I think I'd go with the 22 just to see new roads if nothing else. But do you have an opinion on the riding of that route vs the one I had proposed?
both fine. maybe 22A is a bit more interesting, and it's nice riding thru Rossland. either way, be sure to fill up in Northport! might be gas in Curlew, might not... might be gas in Chesaw, might not...

have fun!

#7 ·
I'm based in coldstream so leaving from Lavington. Interested in any feedback/suggestions for a trip I'm planning weekend after next.

So my plan for our next trip is almost the same as the trip we just did for the first day, hwy6 over to Nakusp and then 31a at new Denver to kaslo and onto Nelson. But then continuing on a bit again on Hwy 6 to Ymir to try out their incredibly reasonably priced hotel.
Day 1. Lavington to Kaslo and heading south to Nelson and onto Ymir is 368kms and about 5 hours according to Google Maps.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Lavi...8f683b4cf52!2m2!1d-117.218357!2d49.284569!3e0

Better Idea for Day 1. Lavington to Kaslo, turn around and come back to New Denver for lunch at the Valhalla Inn, and head south to Ymir on Hwy 6 through the Slocan Valley. Google maps says 443 kms and about 6 hours.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Lavi...8f683b4cf52!2m2!1d-117.218357!2d49.284569!3e0

Last week my wife were out there and we enjoyed the roads and views. Although the scenery from Kaslo south to Nelson is fantastic, traffic can be a spoiler and the Slocan route has less traffic.

Personally I'd double my pleasure on the 31a (New Denver/Kaslo/New Denver) then take Hwy 6 south through the Slocan Valley. The pavement is good. Adds an hour, but the riding season is getting shorter and your tires still have rubber!

#8 ·
I like that plan myself. Will see if that might fly with the boss. But unfortunately my tires don't have rubber. I'm going to have to put a new rear on for this trip.*:rant

I've got to plan out my route south of the line a little bit carefully too as my fuel range isn't fantastic on this f4i. Espescially if you start pushing it at all.*

doser I appreciate the effort with those instructions and will have a go at it tonight when I get a chance.

#9 ·
I love living here, I never had to go far to have fun!

#11 ·
H2r? Race track only afaik. Must be a H2 if he's got it licensed. Still impressive though.

They had the H2 sx in kelowna last winter. Got to sit on it and flash it up. No ride though ...lol. She's a beast - long and heavy but it is a tourer. Beautiful color speedo display. 25 26 grand if I remember.

#13 ·
^^^that ain't no Raider!

#15 · (Edited)
this is the problem.. man i just finally got all the major bits working together, all thats left is the
DRAG BARS & comfort SOLO SEAT plus a 240mm tire (8.5" wheel widening required)..

but there's something about a SUPER-CHARGER in a motorcycle. I like touring, its what gets me by the rest of the year.

He must've meant the special edition touring I'm guessing? *Mentioned a 29k purchase price. Or he just saw how drunk I was getting and was having me on. He could've said not the r for all I know now thinking back. I was a few pints into the evening.

ahh yes, my bad there is one with all the marbles. much like most out there, plenty of options..
the SX line IS the touring line, thats what i mean its all the same bike.

This may be what i sat on at the bike show. or not, cant remember. i dont need ELX suspension

Joining the line-up of supercharged sport-touring motorcycles for 2019 is the Ninja H2 SE+. With all the technology of the special edition model plus electronic suspension and a host of other equipment, the H2 SX SE+ is the most advanced H2 SX yet.

Ninja H2 SX SE+ (as mentioned above there is a SPECIAL EDITION as well, w/out the + (see below)

$28,999

this is the H2 SX

a quick A to B comparison shows what we already know, everything can be purchased, upgraded on its own.
Aftermarket gonna love this bike i bet.

CORRECTION on above.. and ignore the thread derail. this is what i fell for at the Bike Show :rockon

the SE Bagger, on STEROIDS of course :D

#14 ·
He must've meant the special edition touring I'm guessing? *Mentioned a 29k purchase price. Or he just saw how drunk I was getting and was having me on. He could've said not the r for all I know now thinking back. I was a few pints into the evening.

#19 · (Edited)
no offense, but you're going to have to qualify these comments with a little more information, that word leaves a lot of guessing room.

I wanted to confirm if the Throttle is Fly - By - Wire which is where i would suspect some 0s & 1s may have to do with it..

i've heard a comment or two but nobody wants to elaborate, which is really annoying..

specially when you read this.. (stock bike mind you).. Has anybody ridden one with exhaust, re-flash etc?

Despite the incredible acceleration, the H2 SX maintains the ability to unleash the fury of supercharged hellfire entirely on your own terms. Traction control and power levels are easily accessible while on the move, and throttle response is tight, but accurate. For a ride-by-wire it’s incredibly connected, and if any throttle lag exists at all, I couldn’t notice it. The added benefit of this setup is that it allows for the Kawasaki quick-shifter system to be installed, which allows for clutchless up and downshifting. It isn’t as smooth as some of the other quick-shifters out there when just riding casually, but it’s effective on aggressive upshifting under hard acceleration.

I'm finding the throttle very twitchy and sensitive on the H2 SX SE. Especially in first and second gear. It's almost impossible roll off the throttle and roll on the throttle in first and second without a jolt. My concern is lower speed twisties when we roll off on entry, and roll back on mid corne

Twitchy is what i hear most regarding the FlyByWire which is exactly what the R1 was straight out of the box.

but i dont know, cause nobody wants to talk.. :coffee

#25 ·
This is really disappointing to here, it seems to check all the boxes. Why is it that every bike manufacturer seems to come up short with their new models? Your knowledge of ECU tuning is far above my comprehension, so I won't ask for a dumbed down version. I would be curious to follow this thread as you seem to pretty tight with Brock's and Guhl.

#26 ·
And no worries about the derail. I kind of started it. And I find this h2 talk/info very interesting. And I got the input I was looking for on my trip which is looking to be postponed now. We are not hardcore enough to go with lots of rain forecast.*

#32 ·
i dont think posts like these have the same effect they did 15 years ago.

kawasaki seems to be happy to push the boundaries these days.. Erik has owned his ZX14R Four seasons now.

that bike has been as reliable and trouble free as my R1. he did it right and got it re-flashed & tuned at 3k kms w/ exhaust etc.

literally done nothing more to the bike other than oil changes and new tires when necessary, which is rather often :D

i wouldnt hesitate to buy one, if the $ is right..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.