Eastern WA: 4 days 2000 kms

Thread: Eastern WA: 4 days 2000 kms

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Eastern WA: 4 days 2000 kms

So, a dreadful summer from a riding pov for me - never-ending work - but that's just complaining, which is not why you read these posts. But finally, just as summer ends, I got away... Four days, into some of my favorite country, in eastern Washington.

Day 1: 630 kms 9 am to 5:30 pm Vancouver to Colville WA

Nothing out of the ordinary. And the directions are easy: down I5 to Sedro Wolley; east on 20 to Colville.

Usually I ride 155 east from Omak, Cache Crk Rd over to WA 21, and Bridge Crk / Twin Lks Rd to the Inchelium ferry, but 'the bartender' Scott's recent post on FB had me a bit intrigued, so I stuck to the 20. Besides, it had been years since I went this way. There is in fact new pavement thru most of Sherman Pass east of Republic, but that's always a bit off-putting cuz you don't know what's loose and what just looks 'sketchy'. Next summer this will be amazing!

Bennies Colville inn , as usual. And a good dinner at Mavericks, enriched by a couple of examples of lifetime love: ancient ladies, obviously fading, accompanied in patience and good humour by 'their men'. I trust I can behave as well, when my time comes to be tested...

WA 20, somewhere east of Tonasket

IMG_2521 by Don Serl, on Flickr
    Last edited by doser; 09-12-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Eastern WA Day 2: Colville WA to Pullman WA

This was a GOOD day!

I waited a while for low-hanging clouds to burn off, then zipped up into the hills west of Colville. Lovely roads:

west out of Colville

IMG_2529 by Don Serl, on Flickr

Valley Westside Rd, west of Colville WA

IMG_2533 by Don Serl, on Flickr

Pleasant Valley Rd, in the hills west of Colville WA

IMG_2539 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_2549 by Don Serl, on Flickr

Then it was south on WA25, which, while 'just' a highway, is very acceptable.

IMG_2553 by Don Serl, on Flickr

Next, east on Hunter - Springdale Rd, maybe the nicest of the many roads between WA 25 and US385 / WA231.

IMG_2568 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_2574 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_2591 by Don Serl, on Flickr

These morning shenanigans had taken me about 2 1/2 hours to cover 130 kms, but the pace picked up. I blew my entry to Spokane ( missing the jog east at 395 > Stoneman Rd > Argonne Rd), and ended up riding the traffic and lights down Division St into the centre of town, but a quick jog east on I-90 to Opportunity put me onto WA27 south, which is one of the most amazing roads in the state. See next post...
    Last edited by doser; 09-12-2019 at 11:22 PM.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    ... and so, the afternoon. WA 27 is the 'main' north-south route in the lovely rolling Palouse country of eastern WA, but with US195 a few miles west in WA and US 95 similarly paralleling close-by in ID, there is very light traffic. it's just fzcking great, the whole way! and I must admit to unleashing the right wrist a bit, now and again... not so much my thing, but in the context, irresistible!

IMG_2595 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_2599 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_2614 by Don Serl, on Flickr

overall, 350 kms and just 6 hrs, but a really enjoyable day.

I stayed at Americas Travel Inn, which at least had a room - it was a college football weekend - but which was not impressive; and ate at the South Fork Pub, which had the best fish and chips cod I've ever tasted! highly recommended.

route for the day: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Colvi...46.7297771!3e0
    Last edited by doser; 09-12-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Dwight Eisenhower

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Day 3: Pullman WA to Penticton BC

The forecast of the Sunday was rain, and it wasn't wrong. I got a nice hour of dry roads north and east of Pullman, but by the time I got to Endicott the looming clouds had me into my raingear. And by St Johns, it was fairly miserable, so I gave up exploring up towards Cheney and just 'headed out' northwest on WA23. This is, of course, the secret weapon of travel to and from SE Washington: a fine riding road, with next-to-no traffic, that diagonals across the center of the state, saving literally hundreds of miles of droning on 'bigger' routes. Even in the rain, it was somewhat pleasurable.

West of Colfax WA

IMG_2615 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_2623 by Don Serl, on Flickr

Rain...

IMG_2626 by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_2629 by Don Serl, on Flickr

I had thought about riding north thru Republic back into Canada at Grand Forks or Midway, but the clouds were heavy in the hills, so I just took the easy way, to Grand Coulee, Omak, and 97 north. A call to a friend in Penticton netted me a wonderful visit, a hearty dinner, and a comfy bed, so all went well, despite the wetness. WA155 thru Disautel Pass, btw, was as awesome as always, with fast, fast sweepers unburdened by other traffic. Lovely.

550 km 8 hrs

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Pullm...49.4991381!3e0
    Last edited by doser; 09-12-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Day 4 Penticton to Vancouver

Routine. Chatted till noon, then rode the Apex / Green Mtn Rd across to Keremeos. This was "goatier' than I remembered it. Chip seal with pilot car near Hedley - 20 minute delay. More chip seal near Sunday summit. But overall, despite about 75% of the riding being on wet road, and occasional showers, it was quick progress and mostly very enjoyable. I DO love how litre bikes make objects in your windscreen nearly instantly re-appear in your mirrors, then disappear entirely - magic!

IMG_2631 by Don Serl, on Flickr

410 kms 5 hrs

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Penti...49.2827291!3e0

So happy to have finally gotten a decent ride in. Now I can hardly wait for Scottie to get back from his 2-week epic, and post that up! Wow!
    Dwight Eisenhower

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Fantastic report and pics!

That section of 20 Sherman pass is what we travelled east to west on a couple of weeks ago and i mentioned really throwing my confidence for a loop. The 'motorcyclists use extreme caution' signs every couple of miles didn't help either.*

I appreciate these reports as I've ended up searching back through a number of them on here while researching my little jaunts. *

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Love your updates as always, Don. Shame we didn't get out for a ride this year - thanks for all the invites earlier on. There's still time....!