Old Rider Looking to start some track Days

Thread: Old Rider Looking to start some track Days

Registered User Array SliderZ33's Avatar
    Bike
    2004 Kawasaki ZX10R

Old Rider Looking to start some track Days

Let me start off with, I have been riding for around 16 years and have loved every second of it. I now have the itch to ride on a track as riding on the street is not the same and there is a lot of fear of tickets etc lol. I have a few questions about how to get started and the best approach to doing so as budget I am sure is going to be an issue.

I am well equipped with gear so I am ok in that area. So my first question is: would buying a Ninja 250 or a CBR 125 be a good way to start on the track to learn and practice with? I want to keep the costs way down for a track bike if possible and just wast sure if this would be a good starting point.
    What is a good starter for track as I don't want to put my bike I ride on the street in the dirt lol.

My plan is to do a WMRC Race School and go that route to get myself going and do some private lessons as well if budget allows.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by SliderZ33; 11-10-2019 at 09:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    as a first step, I'd suggest just riding your current bike. ( a) it's plenty fast - in fact, much faster than you'll be able to manage initially on track, and (b) you're familiar with it. it is a SERIOUS challenge to get anywhere near competent on a track: learning the layout, the lines, the braking points, body positioning, etc, etc. plus you'll be attacking corners in ways and at speeds that you'd never, ever consider on the street. adding 'learning a bike' into the mix is not trivial.

yes, you might bin it, but that's pretty unlikely if you are careful with your judgments early on... and fear will probably help towards that end! then, if you love it, go the full-on track bike route... after a few 'test rides'.

( the bonus is that after a couple track sessions, your confidence in the ability of you AND your bike to deal with pretty much anything will soar.)
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2004 Kawasaki ZX10R
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    as a first step, I'd suggest just riding your current bike. ( a) it's plenty fast - in fact, much faster than you'll be able to manage initially on track, and (b) you're familiar with it. it is a SERIOUS challenge to get anywhere near competent on a track: learning the layout, the lines, the braking points, body positioning, etc, etc. plus you'll be attacking corners in ways and at speeds that you'd never, ever consider on the street. adding 'learning a bike' into the mix is not trivial.

yes, you might bin it, but that's pretty unlikely if you are careful with your judgments early on... and fear will probably help towards that end! then, if you love it, go the full-on track bike route... after a few 'test rides'.

( the bonus is that after a couple track sessions, your confidence in the ability of you AND your bike to deal with pretty much anything will soar.)

I appreciate all the info. I understand the using what your comfortable with makes a lot of sense. I have a feeling that I will just get the bug when I do it once and that will be game over lol. For me it will be learning how to actually track ride as we all know the street is no where near the same. Again appreciate the info!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    CBR600RR
    A cbr 125 is a waste of time and money. A 250 would be fine for sure. Do some Pitt Meadows track days to get yourself some exposure on the cheap
    and for sure the wmrc race school is probably a great idea and some track days if they have some. Most local guys are doing track days down in Shelton
    Washington. Your bang for buck is good and the track is high quality compared to mission.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Bike
    2004 Kawasaki ZX10R
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    A cbr 125 is a waste of time and money. A 250 would be fine for sure. Do some Pitt Meadows track days to get yourself some exposure on the cheap
    and for sure the wmrc race school is probably a great idea and some track days if they have some. Most local guys are doing track days down in Shelton
    Washington. Your bang for buck is good and the track is high quality compared to mission.
    Ok cool thank you, I was leaning more towards a 250 as I just feel like it would be a good way to learn on the track so I don't put my 10R in the dirt that I just spent a small fortune to make perfect again lol. I am for sure signing up for Race School 100% as soon as they post it. I feel this is the best way to learn and I have a friend that wants to do the Semi Private lessons as well. So I already feel pretty invested lol. I think I want to get a couple pit meadows days in as well if its a cheap alternative to learn. Thanak you guys for the info I really appreciate it and already cant wait till next season lol.

Registered User Array StevieMac's Avatar
    Bike
    Ninja250 + a few
    Riders that have never done a track day almost always say "but I don't want to crash my bike!"

If "track day" really meant "crash your bike day" no one would ever go to one of those! Luckily that isn't the case at all.

If you ride curves on the road without crashing why does having the curves linked together in a closed circuit make you suddenly unable to cope?

You'll be starting in a beginner group, starting at a slow pace, being led around by someone that knows what the hell they are doing. You can build speed slowly at your own pace and you aren't going to feel any pressure to go any faster than you want to go.

Everyone who has done track days has been in your shoes and I assure you the VAST majority of them did not buy a different bike for their first track day.

Start with a Pitt Meadows track day. The staff is super friendly and the events are not intimidating at all. Just do it, you'll have a great time.
    WMRC & PCMRC #49

StevieMac- Any and all advice provided by me is of the "Use it at your own risk" variety. Common sense and your own good judgement must always prevail.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    ^^^ exactly what StevieMac said! crashes at track days are actually quite rare. you sound like a mature, self-aware person - just 'go at your own pace', and you'll be grinning from ear to ear in your helmet, plus - after the first day or two - remarkably overjoyed that you are wringing it out on your ZX10R and not a machine with 20% of the horsepower, poorer suspension, and less-than-stellar brakes (... unless you spend considerable money on upgrades, of course).
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    2008 Beemer (touring)
    Join us at Pitt Meadows in 2020 to get some seat time on your bike in a closed course environment. As already stated, we have very few riders who crash and more learn what their motorcycles are truly capable of doing.

Here's the link to our website if you want to snoop around a bit: www.pittmeadowstrackdays.ca

Nancy
    Taking It to the Track

WMRC Racer #911 (retired)
    PCMRC Racer #911 (retired)

Bike
    2004 Kawasaki ZX10R
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieMac View Post
    Riders that have never done a track day almost always say "but I don't want to crash my bike!"

If "track day" really meant "crash your bike day" no one would ever go to one of those! Luckily that isn't the case at all.

If you ride curves on the road without crashing why does having the curves linked together in a closed circuit make you suddenly unable to cope?

You'll be starting in a beginner group, starting at a slow pace, being led around by someone that knows what the hell they are doing. You can build speed slowly at your own pace and you aren't going to feel any pressure to go any faster than you want to go.

Everyone who has done track days has been in your shoes and I assure you the VAST majority of them did not buy a different bike for their first track day.

Start with a Pitt Meadows track day. The staff is super friendly and the events are not intimidating at all. Just do it, you'll have a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    ^^^ exactly what StevieMac said! crashes at track days are actually quite rare. you sound like a mature, self-aware person - just 'go at your own pace', and you'll be grinning from ear to ear in your helmet, plus - after the first day or two - remarkably overjoyed that you are wringing it out on your ZX10R and not a machine with 20% of the horsepower, poorer suspension, and less-than-stellar brakes (... unless you spend considerable money on upgrades, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Join us at Pitt Meadows in 2020 to get some seat time on your bike in a closed course environment. As already stated, we have very few riders who crash and more learn what their motorcycles are truly capable of doing.

Here's the link to our website if you want to snoop around a bit: www.pittmeadowstrackdays.ca

Nancy
    Well I guess this is all I have to hear lol. Thank you all of you for the info. I think your statement doser makes a lot of sense lol. I do want to bring the 10R out there and really learn the bike and what it can actually do. I have a grin ear to ear every time I get on a motorcycle no matter where I am and assume this will be an increase to that grin on the track haha. Well I guess I will go with what you all have said and run what I have and then progress from there. Thank you everyone for your advice. This is what I love the community just good honest people sharing the same passion. Appreciate it everyone!! Cant wait to meet you all!!

Registered User Array Porschenut's Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R
    I agree with the Pitt Meadows Track Day idea. It's very low pressure and the risk of serious damage to your bike is very low. There's nothing to hit if you go down. The bike will just slide on the endless pavement.