2 days and no new posts ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2 days and no new posts ?

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    Shed o' Doom was peak BCSB. Really one could argue that was really in the early aughts (2002-2006 or so), back in the honeymoon phase... but Shed o Doom was the shark-jump; Adam cashed out, the site was sold off to a forum-farm, and really the world moved on as the tech changed. Forum hacks and forced lockouts/resets didn't help. BCSB is all but dead. Kicked out of the house at 18years old. I don't think it will be any better in 2022.

Whyziz? Just think about it: When was the last time you sought out a forum dedicated to... well, anything? And joined it? Posted up the intro 'heyhowyadoins' ? gotten to know the 'locals' - if they're even there anymore either.

What used to be endless 'how to change your oil' style threads here - each filled with discussions and side-discussions over the merits of what-n-why... has all been replaced by subreddits (where you can duck in to any topic-focused-forum with a single login), youtube vids (direct walk-through 'tutorials' summing it all up in 10 mins or less), and the generic facebook memery.

Forums are relic of the internet of yesteryore.

BCSB is all but dead. Long live BCSB!
    Yup.

Along with road and rule changes specifically making sport bikes less relevant.

Merry Christmas

Bike
    ummm
    Sportbikes are becoming less relevant on the street, hence sportbike specific forum the same is true. As for forums being dead, check out ADV.com. Huge.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
    I test road a wr250r at Yama demo days this year. And I own a wr400 so maybe my view is skewed. But I found the 250r powerless. I had thought about possibly buying one as a dual sport but after riding it, never. Just my .02c
    No doubt ...... 29 HP at the piston crown ..... not exactly a torque monster.

Still interested though.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    ummm
    20 hp ,,,, at sea level, never mind at your location

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    20 hp ,,,, at sea level, never mind at your location
    Honestly, Iím just gonna hurt myself with more. I ďwhiskey throttledĒ my XR650R off of a single track into the toolies
    enough that I want to avoid that again.*

Iím looking for reliable and light. It fits both of those specs. The CRF450L has a scheduled engine O/H at 32,000 km.
    An Aussie rental show swears by them racking up 52,000 km on one with multiple crossings of the Simpson with no
    major maintenance.
    Despite having 2 KTM dealers nearby and their stellar equipment level, the reliability and maintenance concerns will
    always be there. I donít want the potential of being 90 km off the highway and 150 km out of cell range with that*
    concern.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    Honestly, Iím just gonna hurt myself with more. I ďwhiskey throttledĒ my XR650R off of a single track into the toolies
    enough that I want to avoid that again.*

Iím looking for reliable and light. It fits both of those specs. The CRF450L has a scheduled engine O/H at 32,000 km.
    An Aussie rental show swears by them racking up 52,000 km on one with multiple crossings of the Simpson with no
    major maintenance.
    Despite having 2 KTM dealers nearby and their stellar equipment level, the reliability and maintenance concerns will
    always be there. I donít want the potential of being 90 km off the highway and 150 km out of cell range with that*
    concern.

I apologize Sikorsky, I should have stated 29hp.

That said, altitude change does affect smaller hp bikes. then there's the situation with what you are stating, simplicity. Agree. Simplicity and technically solid engineering. My version of simplicity, is:
    1]Air cooled
    2]carburated
    3]long engine family history
    4]close access to dealer parts

With that, i'm not keen on the CRF450. Too little oil capacity, too small fuel capacity, revvy engine character when you need high torque virtually off idle, revvy revs on the highway getting to your gravel road of choice, and finally, not a large aftermarket parts trail as yet.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I apologize Sikorsky, I should have stated 29hp.

That said, altitude change does affect smaller hp bikes. then there's the situation with what you are stating, simplicity. Agree. Simplicity and technically solid engineering. My version of simplicity, is:
    1]Air cooled
    2]carburated
    3]long engine family history
    4]close access to dealer parts

With that, i'm not keen on the CRF450. Too little oil capacity, too small fuel capacity, revvy engine character when you need high torque virtually off idle, revvy revs on the highway getting to your gravel road of choice, and finally, not a large aftermarket parts trail as yet.

Iím familiar with power loss at altitude ..... see avatar. But with 29 tire shredding, ground ripping HP there is plenty to spare!*

As much of a Honda fanboy as I am, the CRF450L is a no-go for me as well. For some of the reasons you stated and for that 32k engine life. Maintenance levels approach KTM levels as well, hard pass.
    I was directed to 2015 KTM690 with 5000 km that was less than a new WR. A buddy bought A similar one last summer and has several issues. I know of 2 other KTMís that ended up needing new ECUís, fork seals and c/s seals ...... within the first 1000 km. As sexy as those orange beasts are, Iím not willing to deal with their idiosyncrasies. *

The WR need revving*as well and will just make it to highway speeds, although the Kootenay*Pass may require patience.

Built in Japan quality and a 10 yr production run sells me on proven reliability. I would be lying if I said the thought of that wee engine being too low in power was of no concern though. But with only needing a larger fuel tank, it is ready to go ......in my books.

Decisions, decision .......*

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post

Iím familiar with power loss at altitude ..... see avatar. But with 29 tire shredding, ground ripping HP there is plenty to spare!*

As much of a Honda fanboy as I am, the CRF450L is a no-go for me as well. For some of the reasons you stated and for that 32k engine life. Maintenance levels approach KTM levels as well, hard pass.
    I was directed to 2015 KTM690 with 5000 km that was less than a new WR. A buddy bought A similar one last summer and has several issues. I know of 2 other KTMís that ended up needing new ECUís, fork seals and c/s seals ...... within the first 1000 km. As sexy as those orange beasts are, Iím not willing to deal with their idiosyncrasies. *

The WR need revving*as well and will just make it to highway speeds, although the Kootenay*Pass may require patience.

Built in Japan quality and a 10 yr production run sells me on proven reliability. I would be lying if I said the thought of that wee engine being too low in power was of no concern though. But with only needing a larger fuel tank, it is ready to go ......in my books.

Decisions, decision .......*

Decisions indeed. This particular one you will make is actually fun.
    Here's an article recently about the 450 Honda:
    https://advrider.com/whos-the-honda-crf450l-for/

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    As much as this guy irritates me I do recall he had a pretty tricked out wr250r when I was researching them. Maybe some mods/info of interest if you're seriously considering one.https://cyclecruza.com/archives/tag/wr250r-mods*

Bike
    Honda
    The local dealer is giving me a fair price on my '02 R1 on trade. I think I'll take it.

The XR650L is a stone hammer of a motorcycle. That's not meant as a slam .... it's a compliment for a reliable and simple bike. It was a consideration but the WR is a 2019 leftover so they are willing to deal.

Looking at various dyno charts, stock XR650L's run between 31 and 35 HP, between 6 and 10 HP more than the WR. Torque wise is far different. On a good day and a generous dyno the WR may get 17 lb/ft. Comparatively the XR is a tractor at 32 lb/ft.

I'll check out those links later, thanks Squished.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    so Sikorsky, enlighten me. I know nothing about dual sports. how come still carburetors?
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    ummm
    Perhaps not Sikorsky’s thoughts on carburetor for off-road, but for sure my thoughts. For me, it’s about the simplicity, and ruggedness of a fuel system not needing electricity. Roadside fix can easily be done. Bad fuel of a remote gas station can be dumped easily.

Air cooling is also high on my list for remote off-road or FSR riding. I’ve seen quite a few radiators get taken out when I used to off-road with my brother up in the Cultus Lake and Chilliwack Lake area. With my brothers water cooled CR500, we’d carry a length of rope, it was always used when a rad would get taken out. If you are riding alone, rugged simplicity for me is paramount. 4 day run off-road taking on the Touratech rally West last summer has given me huge confidence in my choice of not overly powerful, high torque at low revs bike. The XRL’s only negative is it’s high seat height. Every other weakness it has is either eliminated through long production run, or plentiful reasonably priced upgrades. For sure it’s not a high grade street bike, but comfortable at 115km/hr, and 155km/top speeds, which I’ve done for 15 minutes in an unnamed US state last summer, and 6 gallon Acerbis fuel tank for 375km off-road runs.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    so Sikorsky, enlighten me. I know nothing about dual sports. how come still carburetors?
    That wasnít me, I like Fuel Injection. I cannot think of the last time I had a FI related issue. And the efficiency is outstanding.

Carbs though? Love them, love the principle behind how they work but my last 3 carbureted bikes had issues. The XR650R would overflow if you looked sideways at it, the CB350/4 had to be completely re-done when I got it and the Muth designed Katana 750 was rife with fuel delivery problems. Admittedly, these were problems that were a result of wear, time and neglect. Once sorted, they ran like a dream.

I look at it like six of one, a half dozen of another.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Many offer fuel injected dual sports now. Honda, ktm, husqvarna, beta, Kawasaki, etc . *Price/development seem to be why some don't maybe? *Reliability could be argued all day but the top performing bikes for power in their class are all fuel injected IMO.*